Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:30 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

Mine required no trim at all. I get more attached to it evey time I fly it.
Sorry, that's 4 now...Yep I'm completely attached to mine.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:37 PM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought maybe you guys might enjoy this.

RULES OF THE AIR
Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory.
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.
It's always better to be down on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.
The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.
A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great' landing is one after which they can use the plane again.
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
Stay out of clouds. The silver lining everyone keeps talking about might be another airplane going in the opposite direction.
Always try to keep the number of landings you make equal to the number of take offs you've made.
There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no-one knows what they are.
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment.
It's always a good idea to keep the pointy end going forward as much as possible.
Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law. And it's not subject to repeal.
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are, however, no old bold pilots.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:45 PM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, iflywhenican,
I have an Ernst socket also. What I did after the first flight was, I unplugged one servo at a time and both servos worked fine. Then I plugged both servos in and it was fine again. Now I knew it was no servo issue, but rather a connector problem. I changed out the Y-harness just in case. It could have been as well the same problem what you had- not plugged into the Ernst deep enough. I was really relieved after I landed her safely. To lose an airplane on her maiden really hurts. Luckily it didn't happen.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:13 PM
FlyEng
My Feedback: (5)

[sm=thumbup.gif] Okay, I've been following this thread through my entire build and was not disappointed today for the maiden. Unfortunately we only had one flight and I wasn't at the sticks. Call me a pessimist but if someone is available that has better hands than me, I ask for their assistance. I'm not too proud that I can't acknowledge that other might be better in emergencies than me. Especially the friend who flew for me. (I've seen him land a plane with the elevators and horizontal stabs missing. Flapperons and throttle were working and you should have seen it. The plane looked like a playing card flipped into the air. Once he got it all sorted in the air he yelled back over his shoulder, "Do you want it in the grass or on the runway.") I let him do many of my maiden flights. Consequently, I cannot personally attest yet because I missed out on the thrill. We didn't have any flight problems just a mechanical problem due to how I attached the cowl. So, I didn't take her up for her second flight. The screws were cutting grooves into the cowl at the connection points. So, I need to do a better job with my construction method. I didn't reinforce the holes. I thought this might be a problem and it was. It was worse than expected. The nice light weight fiberglass is great to save weight and I need get my act together. Any good ideas? I think I'll just added some glass to the back. But maybe #6 or larger nylon screws will work by increasing the bearing surface and losing the cutting action of the metal threads. I've used nylon on smaller planes with success.

The stock gear held up but it was just one flight. We had little ground steering authority with to counter a severe cross wind. I think it was probably 15mph with gusts and without power on ground control was tough. I'll be changing to something else. Maybe a graphtec tail wheel gear.

You know, the best part is that she isn't covered in oil when your finished. I may have to convert everything I have to gas.

Here's my set up and its the first time I've gone what I'd call big beyond 1.20 size planes.

DA-50 (So sweet. She just starts right up)
Troy Built Model's Batteries (3) 2800 2-cell lithium ion.
MPI 6-volt regulators/Miracle switches (3)
Hitec Digitals 5925's on Elev's and Ailerons
Hitec Digital 5945 on Rudder
Hitec HS 81 throttle
Smart-fly optical cut-off
Stock tank (May change this to a Hayes and move it to the CG. I've never had one leak)
Weight 15lbs-14oz
CG was close to suggested but a little nose heavy with fuel on board but we flew anyway.

I'll let you know how things progress next weekend if the weather down here in Florida doesn't get too cold to fly. They say it might drop into the 60's. Eat your hearts out. This is the best time of the year to be outside. The humidity drops below 90% and the temp below 80. We are so spoiled!

Thanks for all the good comments and ideas. By the way, only 1 click down and that was it.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:22 AM
iflywhenican

Virginian...to lose an airplane anytime really puts a HURTING on me I think that you and I may have had the same problem, because I could have sworn that the connectors were plugged in all the way...NOT SO!!! Just glad I found it before she went airborne.

flyeng...I used to think that someone else with more experience is the better choice on a maiden, but I have found that to be a misnomer. A guy with more experience will tend to be a little more "lax" than an "adrenalin rushed" guy making a maiden with HIS plane. He will tend to respond faster and will make a better decision in a lot of situations. Just my opinion though.

As for your cowl mount problem, I used the "rubber backed" washers and I also put 1"X1"X1/16" square aircraft plywood on the inside of the cowl mounts. This give a lot more strength and will usually stop or prevent any vibration in the mount area. I did not use the suggested blocks to mount, instead, I used 1"X1"X1/8" alu angle.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:31 AM
bubbagates

flyeng,

I did the same thing as iflywhenican. I used little aluminum angle brackets that are threaded for 4-40 and drilled the holes in the cowl large enough to put in little pieces of fuel tubing to act as a vibration damper. I have well over 40 flights now (flew the snot out of it this Saturday) and have yet to have a problem. I've never had much luck with the GP wood block mounts, they have eventually always worked loose. Troo bad it's not like the Super Stearman cowl mount or the Aertotech Yak cowl mount.

15lbs 14oz's on a DA50, man that thing should be a blast. Just wait until you get to fly it. I also think you did the smart thing by letting someone "more experienced" fly it first. It never hurts to do that when you might be uncomfortable. You will be pleasantly surprised at how it flies once you get there

I was going to use the Ernst connector but I did the same thing I did on my GP Super Stearman, I just ran the extension up onto the cabane and wire tied it there. When I plug it in I use the Ernest locks to hold it in place. Not the one that clips over the wire on both ends but the little locking box that the connector goes into (I think Ernest makes them). I use these on all my temporary connections (ailerons, Li-ION batteries, stuff like that) and have never had a problem.

I'll be changing this shortly to seperate connections for all for aileron servos so I can setup the differential better. This will be the final change for trim. I have all the mixes done for KE, downlines, etc... and this thing now tracks like it's on rails but I have the top wing on one channel and the bottom on another and cannot get my differential to setup properly. CG is now back at 6 1/2 and it still seems very neutral.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:47 AM
iflywhenican

Bill....I went with the left top and left bottom wings and the same for the right wings so I could set up differential. I used two Ernst connectors for the setup. No problems except for finding that I didn't have them connected properly. []
We had to much wind Saturday and Sunday (wind and rain) for flying anything other than the "Racer" type planes. My friend flew his Ohio Ulti and almost lost it because of an engine out and wind gusts. Did a fine gear leg flattening.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I ahven't had much issue with their cowl blocks, but they skip some important steps in the manual...

The firewall is already sealed and needs to be sanded where the blocks are to be placed.

Then I drill and pin with two 1/8" pins made from bamboo skewers... I've yet to have one pop off any of the GP stuff.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62372.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	398381  
Old 01-30-2006, 08:59 AM
bubbagates

Bill....I went with the left top and left bottom wings and the same for the right wings so I could set up differential. I used two Ernst connectors for the setup. No problems except for finding that I didn't have them connected properly. []
We had to much wind Saturday and Sunday (wind and rain) for flying anything other than the "Racer" type planes. My friend flew his Ohio Ulti and almost lost it because of an engine out and wind gusts. Did a fine gear leg flattening.
iflywhenican,
That will be eventually what I am going to do. I should have done that at the beginning. My bad. I did not use the ernst because I keep having visions of the thing disconnecting and with the left and right side being on different channels versus top and bottom, should one side disconnect, control would be, shall we say, not very good. I guess you could call me too paranoid

Maudib,
I did sand and pin both this one and the Gene Soucy Extra and both still worked loose, not right away though and both used 30 minute epoxy. On the GS, I even drilled small holes all through the blocks to ct as little nails, still no dice.

Since I changed to the angle brackets I have not had a single problem.

BTW, Everyone that has seen the graphics you created absolutely love them [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Maudib

Hmmm... well that's why we have so many different methods. Coolio ont he bling... yeah it really stands out and give the Ulti an even classier but modern look.

That's my story anyway...
Old 01-30-2006, 09:05 AM
bubbagates

We actually has a very nice Saturday. right at 60 degrees and not a breath of wind at all until around 3:00pm and then it was only about 5 to 10 mph. I ended up with 8 flights on the Ulti and 4 on the Sukhoi.

As soon as I can get the can/header finished, I'll be ready for the Aerotech Yak, hopefully this coming weekend. It looks to be coming in at 17lbs even with ALLOT of bling installed but has amost the same wing area as the Ulti does and this one got a DA50 that I got a great deal on
Old 01-30-2006, 10:34 AM
iflywhenican

Bill, I can never seem to get a deal on anything. My luck goes exactly like this..."when my ship comes in, I will be at the airport." Or, I'll be standing in the soup line with a fork in my hand. [X(]
Old 01-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Maudib

Yeah but one day... they'll be serving Chunky Soup...

Then with your luck you'll get the soup nazi... "No soup for you!"

Bill, I can never seem to get a deal on anything. My luck goes exactly like this..."when my ship comes in, I will be at the airport." Or, I'll be standing in the soup line with a fork in my hand. [X(]
Old 01-30-2006, 11:00 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Yeah but one day... they'll be serving Chunky Soup...

Then with your luck you'll get the soup nazi... "No soup for you!"

The nazi will claim that if has enough money to own a fork, he can pay full price for his soup.

Actually there has been a rush of DA50's in the marketplace lately. They go FAST, as one would expect. The one I bought I found within 5 minutes of it being posted and he marked it sold 10 minutes after that for a total of 15 minutes.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:04 AM
iflywhenican

I'm going down to Perry Ga. in a few weeks to the big RC Swap&Shop meet. Hopefully there will be a bargain or two there.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:10 PM
thevirginian

Maudib,
"Then I drill and pin with two 1/8" pins made from bamboo skewers... I've yet to have one pop off any of the GP stuff. "[sm=thumbup.gif]
Man, you and I together, we would make an awesome team
Old 01-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Maudib

Where do you think I learned all my tricks from..

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

Maudib,
"Then I drill and pin with two 1/8" pins made from bamboo skewers... I've yet to have one pop off any of the GP stuff. "[sm=thumbup.gif]
Man, you and I together, we would make an awesome team
Old 01-30-2006, 03:02 PM
thevirginian

From me???[sm=stupid.gif]
Old 01-30-2006, 06:36 PM
maxun
My Feedback: (12)

This are some photos of my ultimate with a crrcpro45FI engine, is not done yet but I will like to share with you all.

Name:	Bz79047.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	398669  
Old 01-30-2006, 06:41 PM
maxun

More pictures
Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM
maxun

sorry did not upload the pictures

Name:	Ax73127.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	398676  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:03 PM
iflywhenican

Looks good Maxun, but please do not forget to strengthen that firewall with either dowels or screws.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Maudib

That's not a NUT between the spinner and the propwasher? Not sure that's a good idea... You might not get enough "bite" to keep it all from spinning on the shaft...

Old 01-30-2006, 07:24 PM
maxun

You right, I was doing some cuttig with the spinner so I install that nut, but is not suppost to be there in final assy,
Old 01-30-2006, 07:28 PM
maxun

It's been done today, that's not the final picture assy, I put together the airplane today just to check the CG and everything goes well, this is my first gasser so I did try to check everything allways. I am so exaust I can not even write.[X(][sm=tired.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.