Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:28 PM
e-ticketrides

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

No one has any words of wisdom on setting up the cg?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:35 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out it right where the book says. I did that on both of mine and loved it. I know tons of people on here did it the same way. Here's the link to a post I did on doing it without the wings on if you have not seen it yet

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#4855801
Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 AM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

I balanced mine based on bubba's method and it is on the numbers. Flies very well at that CG
Old 07-24-2009, 10:34 AM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines getting closer to completion (and CH Ignitions is sending my ZDZ 50NG back today with the new ignition and CM-6 plug).

Looking through the thread again (for about the 20th time), it seems that pretty much everyone relocated the tank rearwards onto the CG. Any reason I can't do that with the stock tank?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:02 PM
busted blade

ORIGINAL: maineflyer

I balanced mine based on bubba's method and it is on the numbers. Flies very well at that CG

Same here, Wouldnt change a thing!!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:05 PM
busted blade

ORIGINAL: OldFart1

Any reason I can't do that with the stock tank?
No reason at all, I relocated the stock tank without any problems.. works fine

Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

I got one of these when they first came out & flew it with a ZDZ 50. On the 2nd flight I had a deadstick while leaving the runway (about 10' off the ground) and bashed up the front end but other then that no damage to the plane. I'm home on disability now & decided to get some of my hanger queens back in the air including this one. New fuse arrived yesterday & I am hoping to have her in the air before long. This time the power will be a chinese 50cc that has been laying around a while, can't remember the manufacturer.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:44 PM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: cstevec

I got one of these when they first came out & flew it with a ZDZ 50. On the 2nd flight I had a deadstick while leaving the runway (about 10' off the ground) and bashed up the front end but other then that no damage to the plane. I'm home on disability now & decided to get some of my hanger queens back in the air including this one. New fuse arrived yesterday & I am hoping to have her in the air before long. This time the power will be a chinese 50cc that has been laying around a while, can't remember the manufacturer.
"Made In China" just about covers everything these days, no matter who the manufacturer. []
Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
cstevec

Yeah, ain't that the truth. This one is nice & light, came with the muffler & a Walbro carb (rear induction like the DA & ZDZ). The jug is blue anodized. Its a good looking little engine actually.

Spent the day salvaging the tail group from the old fuse. I couldn't believe Tower charged only 99.00 for the fuse but wanted 69.99 for the tail group. I have limited finds right now so I decided to recover the tail from the old fuse. I was successful but it took most of the day. I think I could have built one from scratch just about as quickly. Transferred the landing gear, painted the cockpit, installed a pilot, built a nice dash panel & attached the canopy. in between working on the Ulti I was also putting my sons Twist 60 fuse back together since he snapped her in two trying something a little to close to the ground. After that I was pretty well shot. Tomorrow I'll figure out the mounting points for the engine & attach the tail group.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:55 AM
OldFart1

A few progress pix - this bird might fly in my lifetime yet. With input from Zeeb and Keary (THANKS!!!!) I figured out a manual choke (ZDZ 50's are not "choke friendly")

Fuel line and vent will go in during tonight's build - who put their fuel dot where?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:41 PM
bipeguy03

hey all! I hate to ask redundent questions but this thread is way to long to go all the way back throuh to find my answers! I am currently looking to buy one of these bipes and I'm looking for opinions on gas engines.

I am not a 3D pilot, and I dont hover although I do like to have lots of vertical preformance, just not that much. I am looking into the DLE 55, a Zenoah G-38, and a CRRC Pro 40cc.

DA and 3W are just a little to much for me although I know they are probably the best.

I am leaning towrds the G-38 cause I like zenoah and the CRRC 40cc becuase of the price.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
James
Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Uncas

Think also about what the next plane your engine will go into - not just this bipe. If you get the DLE-55 or a DA-50 you can step up to a larger airframe later. If you buy the smaller engines they will be limited to smaller airframes. I bought a Brillelli 46 and have that issue now with that engine.

I had a DA-50 in my Bipe and the plane flew great. There is no weight issue. Unfortuanately, I just smashed up my Bipe this weekend. I think my CA hinges on the starboard elevator pulled out - but it is hard to tell from the carnage. The stabalizer and th elevator were in good shape and the hinges were pulled out very clean. Anyway, with my DA-50, I am in a great position to choose my next plane. My B46 is a different matter. I must choose carefully. The plane must be very light and have good wing area and the choices are limited.

Good Luck!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 PM
66-stang
My Feedback: (3)

Give Ron at South East Rc Engines a call. He sells the DLE-55 and it would be the hot setup on this plane! Plus he has great service.
http//www.southeastrcengines.com tell him Brian sent you!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Robert Strouse

I might also suggest the BME58. Its lighter than all the other 50s and is smooth as silk. Its the best running engine I have ever seen and will expand your choices even more. With all the gassers I have bought over the years I have never tossed a DA or BME. I can't say that for some of the others.

On another note in these economic times I feel pretty good about supporting the US economy. Not trying to start a political debate or rile up the handbag brigade but we all should really take a look around us.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:24 AM
OldFart1

Some more progress pictures.

Installed some lite ply for my "super sexy" Fromeco RX switch, Ignition switch and fuel dot

From the outside

Cut the cowl. Outsmarted myself - put the ply spacer on the inside , so I had to re-drill
Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 AM
arobatx

The DLE55 is proving to be a very good engine, like earlier versions of the DL engines. It is also moderately priced, and powerful. The 50/55 has been installed on many Ultimates with great success.

The G38 offers the same thrust as a G26, when both are running their best props, and I doubt highly you would be satisfied with the performance on this plane.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:43 PM
codfish

ORIGINAL: bipeguy03

hey all! I hate to ask redundent questions but this thread is way to long to go all the way back throuh to find my answers! I am currently looking to buy one of these bipes and I'm looking for opinions on gas engines.

I am not a 3D pilot, and I dont hover although I do like to have lots of vertical preformance, just not that much. I am looking into the DLE 55, a Zenoah G-38, and a CRRC Pro 40cc.

DA and 3W are just a little to much for me although I know they are probably the best.

I am leaning towrds the G-38 cause I like zenoah and the CRRC 40cc becuase of the price.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
James
I just maidened my Ultimate with a DA 50. What a great combination!!
I have found trying to call the supplier of an engine will quickly tell you which one to go with.
Try calling Desert Aircraft, then try calling the others. I did, and it really helped me make a disision.
The lilltle bit you save on another engine might be lost the first time you need advice or service. Desert Aircraft's response is stellar, and that is worth a whole lot!!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:52 PM
bipeguy03

I REALLY would like to have a DA but they are just to far outside of my price range, like I said I know they are probably the best but I just cant afford and extra 200 or so bucks for and engine.

I also found this and it is just another option I found. A TOC-53 any know about these?
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...les.html#_53cc

also with the bigger engines, will 70oz/in digital servos be okay for all but the rudder? I'll use an airtronics 94162 for the rudder at 144oz/in.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bipeguy

I cannot tell you much about any other those short of the Zenoah or the DLE. I flew a plane with a DLE this weekend and though it had gobs of power, getting it tuned was a PIA. The Zenoah may be a bit heavy for this plane and a biut underpowered. You could also go with the Fuji 43cc. I had one on this plane and it was jsut fine, not lots of excess power but plenty. Your vertical will suffer a bit though

When I had my first one, I had a Brison 3.2 on it and if you can get a hold of one of those, do it. About the same power as a DA50, about the same weight as a DA50 but about 2/3rds the cost and rock solid

I wish I could tell you where to get them. I know the original maker of these engines went out of business and that Kangke took it over but I have not looked for one in a long time (went to 40% planes over the last couple of years)
Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM
iflywhenican

As far as I know the Brison's are still available. Contact Kangke about them. At last check, the Brison company is now located in Canada.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Inyosi

I use the CRRC 50 and it seems to have plenty power, works fine every time. I would have preferred a DA 50 but the price also beat me down and I am not sorry that I bought the CRRC
Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 PM
foundryratjim
My Feedback: (93)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! This is a long thread! Can some one who has one please tell me how wide the cowl is? I have an O.S. 240 twin collecting dust. This sounds like a nice plane for it.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 PM
cstevec

Well, finished her up this evening (for the second time). Took a little longer then I expected because evidently one of the wings was damaged a little bit while she was laying around in the garage & I had to re-skin & re-cover a portion of it. Come to find out, the red covering looked darker sitting around in my shop. I went & bought a new roll only to find I already had two partial rolls! Anyways, this time I added some bling to the plane (similar to the stuff I have seen in this thread, thanks guys) and I added flying wires to the wings like the full size plane has. They will serve two purposes. One is to slow the plane on downlines & the second is to help keep the wings from blowing apart. I don't trust the wing joiner & wood to aluminum bond on the top wing. Changed out the tail wheel for a Hague style & the spinner for a Tru-Turn. Power this time around is a RCGF 50 with a Pitts style muffler. Servos are Hitec 5645's with SWB arms. The rudder is set up pull-pull style. It has NiMh batteries, 2000 ma flight battery & a 1400 ma ignition. I dunno what the all up weight is but it balanced with no additional weight & 2 oz. in the left wings for lateral balance.

Sure is a pretty plane, I hope I have better luck this time around.

edited for spelling
Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Inyosi

I purchased a sullivan smoke system for my Ultimate today. I would like some advice as to where to mount the pump and I don't have a connection on the exhaust, so where is the best place to fit a connection
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
OldFart1

I noticed a possible problem last night when starting my wheel pants (doing the mod) - the threaded portion of the axle shaft isn't anywhere near long enough for the nylock nut to engage properly. Did you folks find a different axle, use locktite on the nylock, change to a thinner nut and star washer or ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.