Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

The new Lanier Edge 87"

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

The new Lanier Edge 87"

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:21 AM
slcombs
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Lanier Edge 87"

Hi Guys The Brison Fit Great I Had My Buddy Make Me Some Standoffs I Think They Are 1 3/16 Long I Also Have A 4.2 And I Was Going To Put On But It Is 2 lbs Heavier That Would Make The Plane Come In At About 20 lbs And I Think It Would Make It Land Like The Space Shuttle As For The Batterys Im Using Fomeco Li-ions 4800s On The Radio 2400s on The Motor STEVE
Old 11-09-2005, 08:17 AM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Thom,

Your Brison should be just right. With the DA50, I had to move everything to the front, and still ended up a tad nose heavy. This plane is really designed more for a 4 lb engine, not a 3 lb engine, and with a true flying weight around 18-19 lbs. Granted with my DA, I'm down to about 17.2 lbs (minus spinner).

Jammerman, I'll try to get the cowling dimension to you sometime later. I'm pretty sure it would fit though because I remember the fuse (hence cowling also) being around 10" wide.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. South southeast wind between 3 and 10 mph.
SIGH... if only I can get out of work early enough
Old 11-09-2005, 03:41 PM
jammerman
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks BoneDoc......the fuse from pictures does seem wide enough , just trying to keep from cutting those ugly holes in the sides of the cowl.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:10 PM
duanes

On the Extra 300 - The Cowl would need to be cut on both sides for the cylinders, but there is sufficient room vertically for the carb to fit inside. You can get away with about 5 1/2" from the shaft to the bottom of the cowl. That height start dropping as you move forward more than 4 inches from the firewall.

Physically - A G62 mounts with no mods needed (standoffs, etc) and about 3/16" gap between the face of the prop plate and the cowl. PERFECT !.

It looks like I may be able to mount the engine rotated about 45 degrees and not cut cylinder or carb clearance. If I play with some tubing, etc - I think that I can get the entire thing underneath and make some snazzy looking cooling holes.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:52 PM
BoneDoc

Jammerman,

The width where my DA cylinder is, is 9", so I think you should have plenty of room, especially if you mount them diagonally. I don't think you even need to do that.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:37 AM
jammerman

Interesting BoneDoc, I never even considered moving diagonally if I had to. At 9" I think I might need a clearance plug hole on the right side cowl if keeping the engine horizonal. It's close enough however that I'm going to go ahead and order one. I have a DA-50 but was hoping to use a twin in the 60cc range, especially since its gathering dust on the shelf. Thanks for checking the dimensions.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:53 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

OK I'll be the first to bite, Where did you get the info on BME 61 twin?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:39 PM
jammerman

rcairflr...

http://www.bmeengine.com/html/61.htm

great little engine.....just not enough planes it will fit......hope the edge is one of them.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:23 AM
BoneDoc

Finally! Another flight report.

The wind was gusting 15-20 mph today, but this is my only chance in a while to fly it, so I just took a chance. After double checking trim, control sufrace movement, and range, I taxied it out. A couple of clicks later, I was off and level. My cg is probably around 6" after 3 Oz lead on the front motor box, and moving the battery to the motor box.

At this cg, there was NO pitch sensitivity. The airplane responds to all control input fine, but it mushes a bit though if you yank the elevator a tad too much at high rate. Even with this much cross wind, it tracks straight, but snaps is a bit mushy for my taste. Inverted flight requires no / minimal down elevator.

The good
Harriers are ROCK SOLID. It has NO WINGROCK whatsover. When I fly it against the wind, I can "hover" it easily
Elevators and parachutes likewise are rock solid with no wingrock
Flatspins are nice and tight
KE spins are SUPER. It's pinwheel tight, and recovery requires nothing more then reversing stick input. It looses minimal altitude for correction
Blenders likewise are good
Hovers are very stable, so much so that I can manage a couple torque rolls (I haven't had the b@@ls to torq with my other planes yet)

The not so good
KE has mild roll coupling, easily mixed out, but nevertheless anoying. I was able to KE across the file, figure 8 KE, but it's not the pretties due to the correction I must make for the coupling. The coupling seems equal on both sides
Wall is kind of mushy, as if there's not enough elevator authority. But there's no tendency to snap whatsoever.
Likewise, waterfall is not tight, but that might be due to the windy condition.
Pull out of hover is ok, but no rocket ship. Nevertheless, I was comfortable enough to hover 30' from the deck
One more thing,
The Landing gear is SOLID. on my 3rd and last flight, I bounced it real good, as in after the tailwheel touched, the mains bounced 8" off the deck, before settling again. I was a bit scared, but the LG took all the weight without breaking a thing.

I think once I mix the roll coupling out, this baby is definitely a keeper. It looks like it will 3D well, and has a docile low speed handling. I'll try to get some video out, but it's hard because I usually fly by myself.

That's all for now. Enjoy
Old 11-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Yo! Team Green

BoneDoc, Thanks for the encouraging report. It sounds like you had a great time. It makes me feel better about the fact that my LHS just put me on the list for the new Yak.
>Thom
Old 11-12-2005, 01:06 PM
duanes

In looking at the bme 61cc twin - The weight is consistent (or less) than with a G62. As for size, it would be a great fit, but you would need to cut cylinder on both sides. I think that it would be a great engine for either the Edge or the Extra.

On the Extra, the firewall to cowl distance is 6 3/8". The BME drawings show that the Twin is 6" in length, so the fit should be GREAT!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:27 AM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

does anyone have any videos of this plane??? I'd love to see one!!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 01:07 PM
BoneDoc

I just got one today. Will edit it and hope to have it up soon. Man this is a great flyer. It flies so much more like a big bird compares to my 260. With -13% Rudder / aileron mix, KE is now pretty much hands off, and figure 8 KE is a breeze. The most remarkable part still remains the harrier. It does NOT wing rock; no spoilerons needed.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:53 AM
BoneDoc

Here it is guys.

Click here to watch Lanier-Edge-540
Old 11-20-2005, 10:43 AM
coronabob

Thank you, BoneDoc. You're a great pilot.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:36 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

BoneDoc,

Thanks for the information on this ARF.

Dennis
Old 11-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Banche

great video, thanks for taking the time to make it!
Old 11-21-2005, 01:28 PM
petergordon
My Feedback: (5)

Here are the YAK pictures, sent to me from Lanier.
I have one pre-ordered.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45742.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	358138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22692.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	358139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37462.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	358140  
Old 11-21-2005, 07:08 PM
BoneDoc

Thanks for the generous comments guys. I'm personally surprised that for as good as this ARF is, there isn't more discussion on RCU about it. I haven't flown the BME Edge II, but I think it definitely rivals that. With the DA50 yanking the Bolly 23x8 at 6450 RPM, there's definitely more than adequate power to pull out of a hover or do multiple upline snaps

Peter,
The Yak looks like a winner too. Had I not have the Edge, I definitely would've gone for it. If you don't have a motor for it yet, I definitely recommend the MVVS / Evo 58 instead. The extra pound will be worth the extra power it will proived.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:10 PM
charrua

wow it looks good I can't believe it came out so light !!!! I'm flying the WH Edge and with all CF staff I'm at 17 1/2 lb!!! and the DA-50 on mine it's pleny of power
Old 11-22-2005, 08:50 PM
BoneDoc

What prop, and how much RPM are you getting on yours? I can probably shave another 1/2-1 lb if I go CF, but I really don't feel the need to right now. It's got all the vertical I need.

When I get a chance, I'll try to fly more pattern stuff also, but my favorite maneuver with this bird without a doubt is the harrier / elevator. It's a thing of beauty. If I ever get the b@@ls, I might try harrier landing
Old 11-23-2005, 07:13 AM
charrua

I just swithced from a Menz 22x8 I was getting 7350rpm,, now I'm running a Nx 23x8 and I'm getting 6400rpms,,,,, it doesnt go vertical as fast as it used to with the other prop but I like it better,,,, it's slows down a lot beter on down lines and for landing.

I couldn't tell by the pictures opr in the video are the elevator counterbalanced???
Old 11-26-2005, 04:33 AM
BoneDoc

nope,

and I wished tha it was. If you look at the video carefully, you'll notice that this plane mushes itself into the wall. It's adequate, but not perfect.

Went out during Thanksgiving, and shot another video. This was only the 8th flight, but I'm getting very comfortable very quick. It was really windy and you'll be able to see that during the rolling harrier, the plane actually stopped forward flight. I tried something a little different with the music too. Hope you guys like it.

Click here to watch Lanier-Edge-540---8th-flight
Old 11-26-2005, 07:48 AM
hooliganflyer

Hi, cool thread, the only thing I have to say is that was some pretty lame music you used on your videos. In my opinion, you could have used some fast or heavy music (I'm 18), then again, thats just my opinion. By the way, you did a good job on this plane.

Regards

Darren
Old 11-26-2005, 10:51 AM
BoneDoc

lol,

The first video was with a fast music, but I was getting tired of all those fast music. Everybody has them. Is that also a lanier Edge on your avatar? I'd like to see you get a video of it since you look like you coud bring it down on the deck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.