Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 06:34 AM
JRAllen
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

I have a 14 year old daughter who is learning to fly a Senior Telemaster. She is moving along real good. We will start the landing and take off in the next fw weeks. She has only had the Radio in her hand 3 times and i never have to take over on the fligtht. it must be in her blood. I've benn flying since I was 12, ( 24 years) how time passes.

Thanks ,

Jamie/Jessica
Old 01-17-2007, 01:17 PM
red_z06
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

How is her progress going? Any pics or videos of her flying?

Justin has be envolved with helis since May 2006. Do any of you teach helis to you kids yet?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
stinger40

I taught myself how to fly when I was 8. I've been flying real RC planes since I was 12. I have been flying 3D since I was 13. I taught myself how to fly Heli's as well. I can hover upside-down and do many other cool tricks with helis. I'm 15 now.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:01 AM
BIGTEZ

G'day guys first post on rc universe just started my 7 year old daughter this year on the sticks and she's loving it
Old 01-18-2007, 05:59 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

I've got my 2 year old on the sticks on the sim and he's just now starting to understand that they control the airplane on the screen. So far I've got him to pull up but that's it. He loves watching me "play airplanes" on the computer and feels very punished when we can't do it.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:57 AM
aegis

My son just turned 8 and has been flying for a couple of months. He flew on the sim for a couple of months before his first flight with a trainer. We had a BB hooked up for the first few flights but I never had to take-over control (I took-off and landed the plane for him). On his 6th flight, he did his first take-off. On about his 20th flight, he started landing. I had to take over control on his first landing because he got a little too low and slow. I took the plane around and had him set-up for another landing attempt. He landed that time very smoothly and has been doing so since. Landing in a stiff breeze or crosswind hasn't bothered him at all. I let him fly my 33% Extra a little bit on his 15th flight. He has 64 flights to date and would go to the field every day of the week if he could.

Dan
Old 01-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Jonathan.Lam

hi

i'm 15 and i've learnt all by my self for 1 yr now, i didnt even have a simulator when i first took off my 1st plane (Weston UK - Cougar 2000) and now im doing a load of 3d stuff with my adrenaline 120.
Pictures below: Cougar 2000 pics were taken a last year in september 2006...
The Pic of the adrenaline 120, was taken in July 2006...

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11780.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	602569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89939.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	602570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55936.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	602571  
Old 01-20-2007, 05:40 PM
red_z06

LiL

I am a little offended by your login name. I don't know how it goes in London, but in US, C***K in considered one of the big ethnic racist slur offensive to Asians.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:34 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

My two cents: people should get over it. I'm a lil' jew dog. Whatever. People are too damn sensitive about everything that doesn't matter. It's HIS name. If he wants to make fun of himself, who are we to jam our puritanical values on him? I certainly understand not allowing folks to use offensive language at OTHERS to insult or degrade themselves, but when one takes his own ethnicity and funs around, we don't need to all gather 'round and have a candlelight vigil.

<end of rant>
Old 01-21-2007, 12:48 AM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

I am a little disappointed to see such a response from the CEO of RCU (assuming someone else isn't posting under this name). I am more shocked by that than Jonathan's screen name, particularly in a thread talking about kids. I guess red will just have to suck it up and move on since the CEO has weighed in on the issue. Racism doesn't matter? Wow.....what country are we in? One thing is for sure....my adopted Chinese daughter will be raised with values which include respecting herself, as she would anyone else. If red is just trying to stir something up than shame on him, but that doesn't change the tone of this response on RCU.

<End of rant>

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

My two cents: people should get over it. I'm a lil' jew dog. Whatever. People are too damn sensitive about everything that doesn't matter. It's HIS name. If he wants to make fun of himself, who are we to jam our puritanical values on him? I certainly understand not allowing folks to use offensive language at OTHERS to insult or degrade themselves, but when one takes his own ethnicity and funs around, we don't need to all gather 'round and have a candlelight vigil.

<end of rant>
Old 01-21-2007, 01:33 AM
red_z06

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

People are too damn sensitive about everything that doesn't matter.
Unfortunately, I've lived through it growing up in Queens, NY during the 70's. People often got into fights over a single c***k remark. I have long forgotten it past the high school days as that was the last I've heard or seen that word until today. It just brings back bad memories from the past. It usually had a lot more imapct to non Chinese than to Chinese. Perhaps because c***k was a mere bad word for a Chinese. But, to a non-Chinese Asians, it meant attacking the color of their skin. My guess is that C***K term may not mean much in UK as opposed to US so I'll back off.

It is true that we (Asians) often joke amongst (opperative word) ourselves about "c***ky eyes. But, this is strictly private and even those who joke about it would not do it publicly. Perhaps Asian comedians would fall into an exception as their primary material involves being Asian. If it has same derogatory meaning in UK, I would certainly hope that he has enough self respect to not call himself that in public place such as this.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Jonathan.Lam

to be honest, i dnt care what other people say, as long as i feel ok to say that about myself. as for you's in the us, i really dont know why the word "c*****y" it used for racism. i in the uk have never ever been called that. if the word is offending some people...does anyone know how i can change the username? (apart from starting a new account)

thanks
jonathan
Old 01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Jonathan.Lam

lets just get back to the - Youngest 3D Pilots on RCU
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM
aeroflipz

Hey Guys

I love my aerofly sim but I cant seem to get a go on it these days for my son (age 2) He loves flying helicopters. At first he was doing the usual take off and crash routine but he is now starting to find his fingers a little bit more. He is now flying piroettes and staying in control a little more. We fly together on the sim every day, and he also comes to the flying field with me everytime I go. I bought him a picoo z for christmas and he is still loving every second of it. He is gonna turn out to be a great little heli pilot. I just hope he dont end up teaching me how to manouver. lol. I think its great that youngsters are getting into this hobby at such young ages, I didnt start flying til I was 26 so I think they could potentially be the future of our great hobby. I will upload some sim videos soon.

Happy Flying

Dean (and young Tyler)(age 2)
====================
Old 01-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Yaniel

i wish my parents would've started me flying when i was a kid, since i was like 5 til i finally bought my first plane i dreamt of having an rc plane and finally at 23 i was finally able to give it a try and now its more of an obsession than anything else. my old man still has no interest in it, he just asks if i've crashed anything lately.

i've been watching justins videos for a while now and must say he's amazed me. whenever i link someone to one, they never believe it.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 PM
red_z06

aeroflipz:

Congrats on your son's interest in the hobby. When my son showed interest in flying, I assumed that all kids took after their fathers interest. However, I learned that they have a mind of their own and the hobby is no exception. It really doesn't matter who teaches who as it has nothing to do with whose shwarz is bigger. I'm pretty sure your son will progress 10x faster than you as young minds are like sponge in learning. It is about enjoying the passion together and have something in common to talk about. Your son is also blessed in that his interest in this hobby will be supported by you fully (I hope). Please keep us updated on your son's progress with videos. You might consider getting a fraps video capture utility for recording the videos.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Yaniel,
Can you post the links to the videos you mentioned in your previous post?
Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Yaniel

ORIGINAL: chuck l

Yaniel,
Can you post the links to the videos you mentioned in your previous post?
sure thing, but prepare to be amazed.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

Old 07-08-2008, 06:01 PM
red_z06

Here is a new RC heli pilot from Korea. His name is Min-Chan Kim. He was around 4 years and 3 monts (in April 2008) so he is about 1 1/2 year younger than Justin Chi. He placed 2nd in expert class competition at that time at the Korea 3d Masters.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22415.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	986508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14872.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	986509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43831.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	986510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63207.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	986511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95060.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	986512  
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Axel40

I'm teaching my boy, age 11 to fly. He's been solo for a while on the Super Cub and has now progressed to the Parkzone Trojan.

He landed the Trojan last week, did fine although was a lil bit to slow if I'm honest. I offered him ago of the 60 Pulse but he declined, said he was a bit scared. It's purely psychological, it's the noise (glow) but he'll get past that.

Jonathan.Lam That looks a nice place to fly in your pics, can I ask where that is? (it looks a bit like Thamesmead) as I don't see many open areas like that in London

We have to fly in Dartford, only 30 minute drive but it's a very small strip.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:25 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

INCREDIBLE......
- How I wish I was six years old again....
- How I wish I had the time to get out and fly more than two or three times a month.
- How I wish I had a better comp. at home to run a simulator.

What a great time to be a kid and getting into the hobby...ARF's, Sims, etc. It amazes me how many excellent YOUNG pilots I see at the fly-ins and competitions that I can get to. Twenty or thirty years ago you had your occasional Chip Hyde or Jason Schulman but now it seems like almost every club has one......amazing!

Steve