Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

I you had three wishes---

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

I you had three wishes---

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 04:35 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I you had three wishes---

I have been flying the new JR 811 Sport servos - setupat 150% for max throw(30 degree) -on 100 sq in ailerons -(each aileron) - with my ZDZ40 powered model-
This setup puts lots of air loads on the servos - plus low rpm idle shake just -
My point is that -this is a pretty heavy duty test.
These servos are very inexpensive - compared to other digitals -and they work! very well.
I do not have a hundred flites yet on the model but so far - all has been rock solid.
I thinkthat stret price is under 50 bucks apiece - I have run em on both 6v and 4.8- (this is because I started with 6v --then switched to 4.8.)
Old 11-06-2002, 03:59 AM
Hangar Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dick,

I would like to see an airplane for the DA 50 engine. I think the 80" planes are too small for this engine. The Staudacher that you currently have, scaled up for this engine in a ARC would be nice! Two piece wing for easy transportation. The feel of a large plane without the large payout!
Old 11-06-2002, 01:04 PM
rmh

The planes we are doing at the moment are sized right for the 50 engines - The DA should work just fine on these.
A 80" span is not too small--with larger chord -this yields about 1300 squares and in the 12 lb range - terrific performance.
I don't like models which need all the engine you can stuff into them -just to get emto fly decently-
Most of the current aerobatic ARFs fall squarely into this bracket.-the wing loadings are too high for really great performance.
I sent a new Staudacher to a friend in England - -this one at 1280 squars - and just under 13 lbs. Here is a pic of it --It was also designed for a small automobile .
Old 11-06-2002, 01:11 PM
rmh

Default staudacher

model breaks down quickly for transportation-usingfour capture bolts
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	34081_550.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	21393  
Old 11-06-2002, 01:17 PM
rmh

Default staudacher

rear half of fuselage - the four bolts slide into four sockets and four more bolts capture these -each just behind the bolt heads - the setup allows the model fuselage to be assembled using a small ball driver and a few turns to lock each position- the elevators arnd rudder are then plugged into the RX
The entire model fits in a 40" long box.
The plane with the 40 -or a 50 as you mention - buils easily under 13 lbs - with care - 12 lbs -
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	34082_550.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	21394  
Old 11-07-2002, 03:05 AM
Hangar Pilot

Dick,

I'm confused. I would think that the weight of a DA 50 would be to big of a penalty on that size airplane. I've been to your web site many times looking at the planes there. You talk about being light. If you could power the 76" Staudacher with a YS 140 at 7-8 lbs how could you hang a DA 50 on it and add 2 to 3 more pounds? Would that not kill the performance rather than help it? And could that light of an airframe take the beating of a gas engine?

Thank you for your sharing of knowledge!
Old 11-07-2002, 03:58 AM
rmh

I have slightly enlarged these models to almost 1300 squares - at 11 lbs - the wing loading is very low -and the power is far in advance of any of the YS stuff- or the OS -etc-
Also, they hold together -
I am quite certain that this whole generation of "40 size " Gassers will soon run from 30-50 cc and all be very smooth and easy to operate -
Therefore - I have put all of my model experimentation into models of this type /size.
I don't miss my 1.4 four strokers -they were great at what they were but - I don't see a long future for em .
Old 11-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dick,

The rumor mill here in the UK says that the FAI weight limit will rise to 6kg in 2004.

I believe thst this is to actively encourage gas engines as some countries have problems with methanol supplies
Old 11-07-2002, 01:03 PM
rmh

Malcolm-- I sent John Simm (and son Stephen) a 1280 sq in ZDZ40 powered model -which fits in this 6 KG envelope.
John was the team director /capt- whatever for the Brit team at the Polish sponsered WC a few years back - You may care to look him up to see how this all works .
Old 08-04-2003, 01:29 PM
PLANECRAZY KID

URGENT!!!!!!!!
CHECK FOR ANYTHING VIBRATING IN THE LEADING EDGE OF THE WINGS!

i found the otherday that there was a piece of weight in the leading edge of the left wing (looking from behind the model) just infront of the servo box! i found that this "thing" that there is no logical explernation for has shuck loose and the vibration has caused it to tear the hell out of the foam that has deffinatly weakend it! if id have flown into a snap of fast roll or loop etc the wing would have folded leavin me with a bin bag plane!
just check for any vibrating noise when you shake the wing,
i have managed to get mine x-rayed and the x-ray shows 2 weights!??? but why there is wot i want to know!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:34 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

This is way too easy to wish for

Plane: Extream flight Yak 55
Engine: DA-50
Radio: Hitech Eclipse 7
Servos: Hitech 5945 Digitals, plus a servo programmer W/ aluminum hi torque arms
Battery pack : Powerflight Li-Ion
Harware: Rocket City control horns, Dubro hinges & Carbon push rods.

Hey, I am only a thousand dollars over budget
Old 08-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Luke 3D returns

MMmmmmmmmmmm................
Capiche 140 with sigma sign writing colour scheme
Moki 135 or 180,(got)
9 Cap transmitter(got)
Lots of Hitec Digitals

without a doubt within budget!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:03 AM
Ian.W

Alright lets go OTT

Plane: 75% turbo raven with sigma signes graphics
Engine: Wren turbo prop with a power to weight ratio of 3.5:1
Radio: Futaba 15zap with top of the range servos wth 50kg of torque and 0.07 seconds for speed, 15 channel PCM D/C reciever, A supa mega duty switch harness, 3000mAh li-on battery.
Outhe bits: Smoke system and a steerable tailwheel!

There. Done. Welcome to dreamland.

Ian
Old 08-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Sprink

OK, given pattern limits of 2 meters and 5kg, and Imac limits of Scale, I would have:

Zivko Edge - probably 26% to give the wing span, stretch the fuz a bit to smooth up the precise flying further. All moving elevators to increase response for 3D (airofoiled section of course). All moving Fin and rudder would be good as well. Would have to be a Kit with built up wings. I don't enjoy assembling ARFs. All up weight 10lb max. Wing area about 1200 sq in to give a below 20 oz/sq foot of wing loading.

Hmm, engine would be a YS. how about a 200DZ? Just the ticket.

As for radio it would have to be some of those nice Futaba digitals.

Oh to dream...
Old 08-05-2003, 02:40 PM
BigSTIK40flier

if i had 3 wishs i would first ask for the DP 120 ultimate, then a YS 140DZ, then for the radio equipment for it, and 20 gallons of YS 20/20 from powermaster