Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

I you had three wishes---

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

I you had three wishes---

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 06:13 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I you had three wishes---

If you could have the perfect engine
with the perfect plane for it
with the pefect radio for it
Here is the catch -
the goal is a aprox 80 " span model that will do pattern - IMAC-and 3D all quite well-
None of the "wishes" need be currently available-but should be feasable
for example the engine - gas or glow - or even electric motor
the plane an ARF -or a kit
The radio - whatever - but still a legal radio.
The price of each of these should not realistically exceed $500.00
Old 11-03-2002, 06:23 PM
krispaternflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 Wishes hmmmm thats kinda hard but I'll give it a shot I got a cold so I'm bumming around the house today instead of flyin but enough about me

Plane = Prolly a HydeAway ( sorry RCME this is just wishes
Engine = eaither a OS 140 RX or a Ys 140 DZ
Radio = already got my 9CAP but all digitals would be nice to fly the plane around

Well there is my piece, I change my mind from day to day.

Will fly when sick

Kris Kovanda
D3 Pattern
Hydeout for sale email me
[email protected]
Old 11-03-2002, 06:28 PM
3D_CAP232

Hi,
Good question, i reckon...

Zn Line Majectic with a Ys 140 DZ all guided by JR 8411's and a JR 10x transmitter.

I've probably gone over budget with my wishes but after all it is a wish!!
Old 11-03-2002, 07:10 PM
robert

I'd wish for a bank account with an infinite source of money dedicated to this hobby.

It'd probably be a Smaragdz now, with a dingo and all the Futaba digis.
However, my dream did come true in the form of the Funtana.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default Dick....

to meet your numbers (well the total anyway)....

I'd go with:

Modified Focus
OS 1.60 with Jett muffler
9Cap

Or just get you to sell your ZDZ 40 2 meter plane that you made....

Pug
Old 11-03-2002, 08:23 PM
robert

Or the plans for it.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:27 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'll play

An ARC or already sheeted semi kit something like the Aeroworks 29% Edge modified with the following:

Forget the plug in tube elevators; it only adds weight & cost
Add "shovels" to the elevators.
Put the wing retaining bolts inside the fuse.
Add a foam balsa sheeted belly pan instead of stringers.
Core the belly pan, hatch & turtle deck for weight reduction.
Increase the fuse height 1 " and length 2" & modify to a "540 T" to give significantly better rudder authority. (Around $500 in my wish)

Add a lightweight 50 cc gas engine like the ZDZ, or BME EXT 50 or the DA 50 (around $500)

Not sure I can get a computer radio with digitals for $500, but then again this is my wish.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

I would like to see a light airframe designed around a small gas engine (40-50cc). when you try and retrofit to some exitsting planes with gas they always come out either over weight for their wing area and "fly heavy" or are so nose heavy they just dont fly well at all. I would think something in the area of 1000-1200 sq inches.

the airframe does not need to be scale (IMAC legal). I would prefer something more "pattern" with a longer moment and more purposefully built

I would still run high end digitals so that blows $500 right there, but with the cost of the engine/ radio gear/ airframe you should be somewhere right around $1500.

cheers

Hubb
Old 11-03-2002, 09:49 PM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

Default clarification

sorry I should clarify my statement about wing area:

I would like to see something in the 11-12lb range with a light wing loading. the reason for the 1000-1200 sq in guesstimate

Hubb
Old 11-04-2002, 12:19 AM
Camel65
My Feedback: (10)

This is too easy...

Plane: Kit of the Dick Hanson 30% Dalotel
Engine: ZDZ 60
Radio: JR 8103DT

The DH Models Dalotel is responsible for me getting the pattern bug. It flew so much better than any of the IMAC planes I have been lucky enough to fly. It was a big pattern plane, IF IT WAS AVALIBLE it would be an IMAC secret weapon. I could not get interested in any thing available after I had it as far as IMAC types. So..... pattern here I come!

Regards
Bill
Old 11-04-2002, 11:27 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

OK, if they were wishes, I would not have to build so here goes!

A 30% Extra with a wingloading of 21oz/sqft with a custom airbrush scheme.
Any one of the light 50cc electronic ignition engines.
I have a 9C but I don't have JR8411 servos on each surface.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:47 PM
bla bla

I have the Hydeaway.
I have the JR 10x
I have the YS.140's
It's all perfect.
Dose that make me a lucky b#stard?
Old 11-04-2002, 01:06 PM
rmh

two out of three ain't bad--
Old 11-04-2002, 08:46 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

OK Dick, here goes:
I'd rather spend the $$ on engine and radio. There are lots of engines under $500 - OS 1.40; OS 1.60; WEbra 1.45; Bully 1.45 (if they're still available); ST2300. I still like glo engines!
Radio: I like the top of the line programmable radios, but more importantly I really like good servos; so 4 digitals (2ailerons, 1 elevator, 1 rudder and 1 basic throttle servo) are going to use up way more than $500 unless you just count servos (splitting hairs here )
Airplane: wood fuselage; foam wings and stab. 1-piece wing. fixed gear. NO belly pan. I'd prefer to build it myself. Laser cut wood parts for the fuselage and CNC foam cores. I like exposed engines as in the Prophecy, Hydeout, etc. A clear canopy would be nice but not essential. A big version of the Runaround meeting the previous requirements for example or a fixed gear Dalotel. I also prefer straight trailing edges, I think they present better in the air (or make it easier for me to fly the manuevers).
Where do I send the money ???
-Will B.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:52 PM
Mike Wiz

Dick,

Take that plane in the other thread you call the Mule and make it look enough like a G202 to qualify for IMAC. Use the same ZDZ 40RE and have all the exhaust and other tidbits worked out so all a guy has to do is build it per instructions.

I think the radio wish at $500 is unrealistic unless the people at JR or Futaba want to revamp their pricing structure such that I can get an 8-10 channel PCM system with 5 digital servos at that price. Something tells me this could probably be done if they really wanted to, but I doubt they ever will.

Wiz
Old 11-04-2002, 11:42 PM
rmh

Well I am doing a scale setup -actually, two scale setups in same concept - one is a Cap - almost identical to the new 80" H9- the weight however will end up in the 12 lb range - We have already done one -so we know how this can work out.
The other is a Dalotel - with retracts same weight range - actually the same model as I did for the st2300 but with more wing chord and 2" more fuselage length.
Engines to be used are my 40 ZDZRE in th CAP and the ZDZ50 in the Dalotl- both models will have internal quiet - not tuned cans - the power is already gross overkill (just right!)
The 202 is also on the list - just -one at a time -
Old 11-04-2002, 11:47 PM
GMM

Dick,

I will focus on the plane. I know you are working on a gasser for pattern, and I'm assuming you are doing a little "market research" so here goes:

A pattern legal plane (size and weight). plug in wings, and top fuselage access. I would like a nuetral handling plane with no coupling. Fixed gear (Bolly type) with no belly pan, either a chin cowl with a recessed pipe, or false floor. A regular cowling with recessed pipe would be O.K. too. Maybe have two wing/tail options, one for pattern one for IMAC. I don't think a one size fits all (pattern & IMAC) will be the best option as one plane will not do either great. The plane could be all wood & foam, or fiberglass fuse & foam wings. The plane would have to have clean lines, and for me would not have to represent a scale plane, but if you were going to use it for IMAC it would have to look like an Extra Giles CAP whatever.

I'm partial to glow for pattern, because I have not seen any sucessful gassers out there yet. Glow engines are cheaper, and more plentiful so if you break at a contest there may be someone with the part you need for a glow engine, but not for a gasser right now. You could make it so a variety of engines could work.

It could be ARC for $500 as long as the quality is there. but $500 for a kit would be too much. Very detailed instructions on set-up for the beginner is a must.

That is my opinion of the perfect plane for pattern.

Greg
Old 11-05-2002, 12:03 AM
Multiplex

onyx 140
ys140fz2
Mutiplex 3030
Thats what I want and thats Is what I will be flying next year.

All you need for pattern is a straight model, reliable engine and transmitter, know your model inside out buy flying it alot in every type of weather condition, the rest is up to your fingers.

You either have it or you don't

No dream model is going to help you............

Great question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Old 11-05-2002, 12:44 AM
rmh

Greg- I appreciate your comments.
Here is a little background on "why" a gas setup.
The engine used as is typical of newer gas engines , is very reliable - not critical of tank setups cheap to operate and a very broad powerband.
I have done lots of running/mods etc to two and four stroke glo stuff- . They work -very well -but are expensive to feed and repair costs can be breathtaking on some.
So- gas was a must .
The 11 lb FAI limit is seldom maximized -so I looked at it to see if a bigger model -yet legal would fit within the weight rule.
It could be done .
On a side note - my 1790 sq in Bucker -ex TOC model fits all the rules -except for weight - it was 16 lbs 9 ounces.
Anyway - the prototypes have been wrung out by TOC entrants - one of the TOC demo fliers and the TOC HMFIC. Other top competitive fliers have also wrung it out.

Here is the feedback:
The model has instant power - thru the entire power band way in excess of other setups.
It is light - too light for some tastes.
It is homely - (agreed).
It could easily be setup as a wild 3D machine.
My additional notes are that it appears to be plenty rugged and withstands full power abuse - (spooky -but so far it has taken all the full bore snaps - walls etc..)
It is extremely easy to fly - due to the lightweight and high power - any snap -or multiple snap is easy -because the power recovery instantly puts the plane back at speed.
So we will continue on and refine it -
two new ones are the CAP and Dalotel -and anothershot at a good looking FAI model.
All prototypes have CF wing tubes and fully servicable fuselages - I will send RCUniverse some pics c of one prototype.
They also come apart at the canopy front to rear.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:51 AM
rmh

Default pictures of prototye construction

pic of constructio and front view
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33827_550.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	21392  
Old 11-05-2002, 05:17 AM
GMM

Dick,

I'm glad you have decided to take on such a project, and I will be watching your project with interest. Let me say that I'm definitely not opposed to using a gas engine for pattern. It sounds like a good idea if you can make the 11 lb weight limit. With the current offerings of relatively light weight gas engines on the market, you have a great chance of being sucessful. If you can get the cost of the airframe down to a resonable level (around $500.00 or so) I think the pattern community will respond favorably. I know I'm interested in something different. I'm currently flying a Patriot with a Super Tigre engine what a great combo!

The only problems I see is noise levels, but I don't have alot of experience with reducing noise with gas engines, and some people are so heavily invested in YS or OS pattern engines (primary systems, backup systems and parts) that it may be hard to get some to jump on the bandwagon. If someone placed high at the NATs or in a major F3A championship with a gas engine, you could not keep up with demand.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Greg
Old 11-05-2002, 10:08 AM
rdrc MadDog

Mr Hanson, what type of plane is that on your workbench? Looks like a kit.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Mike Wiz

Dick,

The main reason I mentioned the G202 is because the wing on your Mule looks to be similar to the scale wing of the G202. Other than that the Cap or Dalotel would also be good choices. Actually, I think the Dalotel is pretty homely too, so it would never make any of my wish lists.

Wiz
Old 11-05-2002, 03:15 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Default Homely Dalotel?

How sad. I thought the Dalotel was a wonderfully executed design....

This thread is most interesting. I'd sure like to keep the overall costs of this gas pattern plane down around a sport aerobatic plane's level. I wonder if it's possible, and rremain competitive. The fuel costs between gasoline and 25% glow is surely a consideration...

Are digital servos truly a necessity for today's competition? Have they replaced a steady thumb? (And maybe a little expo dialed in for when you're nervous ?)

Keepin' a close watch,
Phil in Austin
(Who would like to be a competitor again...)
Old 11-05-2002, 04:17 PM
Camel65
My Feedback: (10)

I agree the Dalotel is a great looking design, it gets really sexy looking after a few flights. I just cant get her off my mind.....:>)

I would love to see a Zlin 526 F in a size that the 40-50cc would pull well also.

Good point on the nervous finger and the Digital servo with the expo dialed up. Then its just a strong sevo with a big price tag!

I would think that the 40cc size bird could get away with less $ sevos just with the balanced/lighter surfaces and not attempting the 3D throws.

Regards
Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.