Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Kfoster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine

Oh ya! One more question. Has anyone made any mods to the main landing gear mounting methods?

Regina, the city that ryhms with FUN!!!![X(]
Old 01-09-2007, 08:06 PM
tazlittleking

ORIGINAL: Kfoster

I want to replace the tail wheel asembly, by the sounds of it the stockone is not going to cut it.
Kfoster

I finally am going to fly this plane this weekend (hopefully). Had this plane since August and have been screwing around. My buddy bought his at the same time and has about 50 flights through it. He also complained about the tailwheel. Someone explained the problem of why it won't turn well. There is not any surface on the little wheel that comes with the plane. So he solved it by replacing the tail wheel with the Du-bro 1-1/4" Dia. Tailwheel for .60 size airplanes (3/32" Axle Diameter) Cat. No. 125TW. Just drill out the hole with a 7/64" drill bit and replace wheel.

I already put mine on so I won't know the difference, but according to him the difference is huge! It only cost me $2.60 from hobby shop. You will notice the wheel is larger, but most importantly it is flat and has a ton more surface!!
Old 01-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Kfoster

Taz, thanks for the heads up. I was hoping to put a CF tail wheel assembly, but I am going to definitly take a look at this one.

Any one out there know of a CF tail wheel assembly that will work well for this plane?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Kfoster

Hello Ed, I am just about to start to mount my ellevator servos and I noticed the pictures of how you mounted yours. I am putting in the Fuji 43 EI and I have heard people saying that they are having problems with CG being way back. Do you think this will help? If so could you send some pictures of how the push rods exit the rear of the plane?
That would be appriciated.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Ed Vollmer
My Feedback: (14)

With the weight difference between the Fuji 43 and the Saito 220 I suspect you will want to install the servos in the rear of the fuse. I moved them from the rear, before flying the plane, to put the CG at the designated point. After flying I had to move the battery way to the rear of the cockpit area to put the CG where I felt it needed to be.

If I were to build another with the same setup I would leave the servos in the tail. I think the factory CG location is way too conservative for this type plane.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Kfoster,

I have a Brilleli 46cc in mine and mounted the elevator servos in the rear per instructions. Before my first flight I moved the rudder servos to the mid position to get the CG closer to the recomended point, even though I am running a gas engine. The plane flys very stable with this setup and in fact seems a little nose heavy as I have to force it up when I try to pull it into a hover.

The real question is can we move the rudder servos back?

This is where it would be nice if Great Planes would chime in here and give us a realistic CG range. I think the CG in the manual is very conservative. When the weather gets nice again I will incrementally add weight to the tail and see what she can take with the hope of moving the servos back. I have already moved my receiver battery back behind the rudder servos.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
water.boy

Uncas,

How is the power w/ the 46? I've been looking at the EF Yak/46 combo, but I think I might be able to get a used GP Yak.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
wkunkel
My Feedback: (8)

Hey guys,
I am also putting together the Great Planes Yak. I found it under the Christmas tree, a gift from my sons. Nice kids, huh? I raised them right. I'm going to use a Brillelli 50 on it which should be amazing. I have it on order and I can't wait to get it. I'm going to do some reinforcing of the firewall area for sure. I've read this forum pretty much through and through and have not seen much about about beefing up the landing gear mounts. I did see that one guy added a plate on top of the gear, but I'm not sure what that do to strengthen anything. Does any one have any input on this ? Or do you all feel it doesn't need anything ? This engine is pretty light. 60 ozs. Only 3 ozs. more than the Brillelli 46. I figured it will be more versatile in the future. I'd much rather add more engine than dead nose weight.
In other places, I plane on keeping things on the light side. Fromeco batteries and regs will make up those 3 ozs. that I gained. And a single Hitec 5955 TG on a pull, pull for the rudder. I'll hold off on the carbon fibre gear for now. I am using the stock Great Planes tail wheel assembly because my son has had one on his GP Ultimate for 50 flights or so and has had no problems. Ground handling has been fine. I'll have fun with this one. It's a purdy plane ! Wally
Old 01-17-2007, 12:05 PM
wkunkel
My Feedback: (8)

I stand corrected ! I went back to post # 155 from 3-D flyer and read it again. I misunderstood what he was doing with that lite ply. It's really a very good idea. Now I wonder if I switch to a carbon fibre gear later if it will still fit in the slot. Anyone know the thickness of the Graftec gear ?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:35 PM
fingers73
My Feedback: (2)

As I said, I have the fuji 50 in mine with the reveiver and batteries in the aft mount. one rudder servo and two elevator servos in the tail. my cg is at or just behind the aft location. It flies great but I will be moving it even further aft to help in the 3d and get my trims closer, it has a little pull to the canapy still. The recomended cg seems to be very conservative, don't be afraid to play with it.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Uncas

Water.Boy,
The 46 can easily hover the YAK and has some pull out with a 22x8 Xoar. When the plane is flying slow, just above stall, it has incredible accelleration. If you do not hover, the 46 has more than enough power and is of course an incredible value. When I bought the 46, Brillelli did not have the 50 or the 366. For 3 more oz and $100 I might go with the 50 and would even consider the 366; however, for the money, the 46 is a great buy! I am another one of those guys who can attest to the great support you get.

Fingers,
I missed that part about all your servos being in the rear. I might just go ahead and move mine back.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:09 AM
aegis

This is where it would be nice if Great Planes would chime in here and give us a realistic CG range. I think the CG in the manual is very conservative.
You might want to consider figuring out the MAC and then comparing it to what the manual says. I don't have this particular plane, but on the plane I have the manufacturer's CG recommendation was way ahead of the 30%-33% of MAC. I moved my CG back 1/2" and the plane flys and lands much better. I'm going to try moving it back another 1/4". I'll still be within the 30%-33% range, so that gives you an idea of how far forward the manufacturer's suggested CG was.

Dan
Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

I started on mine the last couple days. If it flys any thing like the Real Flight version I know it may be my favorite unless something better comes along. Going with a Poulan 46 that Scott worked on for me.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Kfoster

Hey guys, I am looking for some pics of a Fuji 43-EI engine install. I am looking to get some ideas as to where to mount the EI (and Bat.) as well as the throttle servo. If any one can help me out that would be great!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Uncas

Kfoster,

I do not have the Fuji but I mounted the ignition battery inside the engine stand off box. The EI is on top the box and I installed a servo tray for the throttle to the starboard side of the rudder servo tray - the servo horns just miss each other. I have the rudder servos mtd in the forward position but I am planning on moving them back after I do some testing. I mounted the EI on the box just because that is where the spark plug cable worked best.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Tesla1856

I'm not sure I follow you on the weight of the Fugi engines. I found weights (with included stock mufflers) to be:

BT-43EI-2 - 56.0 oz.
BT-50EI - 75.2 oz.
BT-50SB - 84.8 oz.

I'm really only looking at getting one of the 2 Electronic Ignition models. I think your Fugi 50-SA was Magneto Ignition. In your video, it did seem to fly that heavier biplane fine.

That worries me about the landing gear and the extra weight of the bigger engines. Since this is my first gas 15 pound plane, I'll surely be landing a little hard (at least at first). A lighter engine might be better for me, as long as it has enough power.

I think I remember reading that the official Great Planes video was made with a Fugi-43 in that Yak. If so, I'm not sure why you need more power because it looked pretty responsive to me (or was that just the expert pilot they hired making it look nice and easy)

ORIGINAL: fingers73

I found that the fuji 50 is a little lighter than the 43. Also I have a video on here of that engine flying my old great planes Christen Eagle. The plane was 23 pounds, I ran a 20x8 3w prop. It would hover but had nothing else to get it out. The Yak with the fuji balanced out with 1 rudder servo in the tail and the 2 elevator servos with no added weight. Other than that it was as the manual said. Also none of the head stuck out, it had about 1/4 of an inch clearance. The plug did however and a little of the carb but not bad, mostly the choke arm.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/mvp/videolink.cfm?postid=1619

Aas you can see it would fly a 23# plane fine, the Yak at 15# was awsome. I am guessing on the weight I never weighed the Yak.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:16 PM
fingers73

The Fuji specs are funny, the 50 is weighed with a steel muffler the 43 has an aluminum one. with a aluminum after market muffler the 50 is lighter, but keep in mind I do not have a 43 to weigh just a 50. I have sinced converted mine to an ei. I had a servo problem and put it into a tree, bending the rotor and crank. I threw the rotor away and straightened the crank. I will be putting the carbon fiber gear mentioned above on my second yak. This should help out with the problem. The funny thing is a fully dressed DA 50 and The same outfitted fuji 50 wieght difference is only about 6 ounces. When your talking all up weights of 15 pounds 6 ounces isn't much. As I said I have a fuji 50 and a doa 50 so I know the difference in those weights. I only have manufcturers specs on the fuji 43, and they are quite often fudged. For example da specs are minus plug, module and muffler. I also found that the fuji rpm specs and prop sizes are way off, at least here at 800 feet msl. I can only turn a 3w 20x8 at 6400 to 6800 rpm. I hope this helps a little?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:51 AM
usmcflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Hello to all,

I am preparing to assemble this plane with the Fuji 43 EI and was wondering about a few things... Anyone have pics for this setup (cowl cutouts, etc), and does anyone know where the scale pilot (yellow shirt) is sold that is shown with the advertisement pictures and on GP's website??? I am planning on a APC 20x8wide blade for the Fuji. Any help will be appreciated. I only have a few months to get this plane in the air before I deploy to the Middle East... too many things to do.

Thanks,

Kenny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33045.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	612633  
Old 02-03-2007, 10:01 AM
fingers73

Anything to help out our service man! Here is the link for the pilot http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPRN7&P=7 I like the wood props better they are a little lighter and allow more rpm's. I don't know the 43 cutouts, my 50 only had a hole for the muffler and a exit hole for cooling and then on the left a slight hole for the carb. The spark plug waws inside the cowl. I hope this helps. Also thanks for doin what you do!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

How does it affect the efficentcy of the prop in a accordance to the clearance between the prop and that big cowl? I will be closing up a bunch of it as I will be using an inverted gasser.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:44 AM
flyman1948

I'm just starting to build a GP 25% Yak with a 53 Oz 2.4 FPE gas engine and know from the posts that CG balance point has been an issue. The manual says with a gas motor the servos should be in the rear, but experience has some builders starting in the rear then moving servos to mid-ship. Some posts suspect that the GP specified balance point may be too conservative. The advice I'm getting from an experienced builder is that rear mounted servos are much better because it reduces the complexity of the installation and not to worry about balance so much in this aircraft.
What is your experience with CG and what would you recommend if you were to do it again...?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:25 PM
tazlittleking

I have the DA-50 on mine which is real close in weight and have the rudder on the pull-pull. It's weight is right on!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Uncas

flyman1948,

I would mount them in the tail. Then add a weight to the nose for the first flight. (I usually do this on my first flight anyway)Then gradually reduce the weight until I was comfortable. Since mine are already mounted in the middle I will do the opposite in the Spring and add weight to the tail until I equall the weight of the servos, then move them back.

Currently I feel my plane is too nose heavy - it tracks straight but it does not pop up into a hover easily. I do not think it will do a wall. I wish I was more experienced to know the signs of a nose/tail heavy plane when executing manuevers.

Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:19 PM
747-RCU
My Feedback: (22)

Anyone tried this plane on a Moki 1.8?

If not, anyone comment on how would it workout in this plane?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Kfoster

Hello out there, Just wondering if any one building this plane with the Fuji 43 have any info or pictures on the cowel cut outs. I am not sure if I need to cut out a hole for the carb intake. Also has any one hand trouble with the choke arm hitting the coewl?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.