Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1075

Thread: Lanier Yak

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Lanier Yak

Check out the Tower Hobbies "daily sale" - they have marked the Yak down to $413 for a short while. You can get $20 of for an order over 149.99 - so that is $393 for the Yak. Not bad at all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If Tower keeps up with dropping $5/day, the Yak will be FREE by the end of May. I bought mine and notified you guys last Thursday. Only a few days ago and I was already out $25! But then again, it might be all gone tomorrow.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes it is in Tower's Dutch Auction Sale. The price will go down every day until their inventory is where they want it. Then it will go back to the everyday price of 509. Currently at 403 (3-7-07).
    Oops!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They may be discounting the old YAK since the 94" YAK is now available.
    When flying low and inverted, remember down is up and up is expensive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya, that was what I was thinking, they are selling out the 87 in stock because they are discontinuing it in favor of the larger yak they just put out. If they are I wonder if parts will still be available for the 87 in yak?

I have been wanting one of these for quite sometime, and when Tower's price hit the unbelievable low on their "Daily Sale" of $383.19, and then $25 off with the ad number, the plane was a mere $358.19 +$40 shipping surcharge. I simply couldn't resist it any longer, so I ordered one, and got it from UPS 3 days later!! (TODAY!)

I'm planning on putting a 3W 70 in the front, Hitec 5625's on the wings, 5645's on the elevators, and a 5985 on the rudder.

Any advice you guys can give would be great! I've been trudging through all the posts and have gained some good insight, so thank you for being the "guinea pigs" on this one for me! =)

-Pat

Great setup for this plane P-Diddy.
    I have the 70US , all Hitec 5645's with a 5995 on the rudder and love it. Definitely follow some of the lightening suggestions in this thread and be watchful of your gear plate.
    I dumped all of my NMh batteries recently to switch to Lith ions and this dropped my auw another 4-5 ounces.
    I still think this plane is one of the best arf yak deals out there. The build quality is very high, better than most. the covering job is superb.
    The hardware is probably its only downgrade.
    FYI , I am currently flying with a Bolly 24-8. Spin up is fast and boat loads of thrust (if 3d is your thing )

pcsol,

I can't afford to buy the CF tubes right now. I spent more money than I had by a long shot on the plane, engine, and servos. It will probably start out pretty stock and we'll see how it goes from there.

As far as the hardware goes, mine came with a page in the instruction booklet titled "Control Horn Update" and it appears that the horns being used may be different from what I've read about. They use the long bolt through the control surface and then a rather involved set-up for the horn bracket and pushrod coupler. I can scan in a photo if this sounds different from what earlier buyers received...

-Pat

Interesting Pat.
    Check the quality of the bolts themselves. That was one of the issue's with the originl kits. I swapped out all of the bolts for the same size but higher quality. The originals could be bent quite easily just by hand !
    I don’t have the plane in front of me , but I think they were the Chinese version of 6-32..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I received mine a week ago. When I took mine out of the boxes, I found that the covering was badly wrinkled, the canopy was chipped at one end, and some E clips had come out of the bag/box.

I contacted both Tower and Lanier the next day. Since the boxes were not damaged during shipping, Tower told me to contact Lanier. I filled out and faxed the claim form and received a call from Connie/Lanier. She was out of hardware but not the canopy. I asked her to order the hardware and she will ship replacement canopy and hardware to me in May. After a few days, I pulled the airframe out to take another look and 70% of the wrinkles was gone. The boxes must have gone through some COLD weather.

I have ARFs coming out of my ears and won't have time to put the Yak together right now anyway. However, I am picking up a 3W-70B2, an out-of-production twin, from RCU marketplace. I am very excited about this plane-engine combo. The 70cc twin will give me the additional thrust I won't get from the DA-50 and minimal shakes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are correct - the included bolts were not adequate by any measure. I swapped all of them with 8/32 from DuBro and added a DuBro pull-pull for balance.

ORIGINAL: pcsol

Interesting Pat.
    Check the quality of the bolts themselves. That was one of the issue's with the originl kits. I swapped out all of the bolts for the same size but higher quality. The originals could be bent quite easily just by hand !
    I don’t have the plane in front of me , but I think they were the Chinese version of 6-32..

Throw the tailgear away and order you a Ohio Superstar replacement (20 lbs). The stock one is made of cheese!!
    If you have to bend over more than once, it wasn't a good landing....

I think they are using different tail gear as well now since they have that addendum for the installation online., but not sure about that. The instructions still list the bolts as 6/32, but I'll check them out later and confirm that. I will probably use Dubro or H9 heavy-duty control horns that are a little more rugged regardless. The last thing I want is for a plane this expensive, (or any plane!) to lose a surface in the air, and my flying style is particularly hard on my aircraft!!

Okay, so the NEW control horn bolts are 8/32" and the whole horn system is much better than what is described in the original instructions. The metal clevises have been replaced by heavy duty plastic ones with an intricate little bearing-type system built into them. I already ordered some replacement horns but I may use the stock ones afterall and return the other ones.

My canopy was pretty badly damaged when the plane arrived. It had two chips out of the top, aft end and two 1-inch cracks on the top above where the pilot would sit. I emailed Lanier and they told me I have to file a Warranty Claim to get a replacement. We'll see how long that takes. I'm going to use the damaged one for now until the replacement arrives. The covering was very badly wrinkled and the seams were separating. I spent about 3-4 hours with a hot iron going over every square inch of the plane and really sealing everything up.

Going to use a 3W70 for power, 4 X Hitec 5625's on the ailerons, 2 X 5645's on the elevators, and a 5685 on the rudder. 6V 2500 mah NiMh on the Futaba PCM Rx, and 2100 mah NiMh 4.8V on the ignition.

I've heard a lot of differing opinions on running this many high torque digitals through one receiver. I don't have the big bucks to spend on fancy electronics for the servos and such.

My question is: Do I really need the equalizers and regulators and such?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi p-diddy,

I run one JR 9 channel synthesised receiver with HS-5955 digital servos. I also use Li-Ion batteries though (2400mA & 4800mA) and use voltage regulators for the Ig and Rx. I used the Hitec programmer to set up all surfaces including the ailerons and was able to set this up without matchboxes, etc. I fly IMAC style flying and have had no problems with this type of set up after 100 flights on my Yak. I like the extra voltage for the servos as it adds extra torque.

I hope this helps.

Lang

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the same problem with the canopy, but I got my plane from Lanier, exelent customer service, if you got problem please let me know i got extra canopies with small damage in a corner, a piece that can be put back and it will be like new. But lanier will take care of you. PM if you interesting.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it was me, I would run two switches and two batts w/regulators for redundancy. You will be fine running one reciever. This is how I have my Lanier Yak setup. I have one batt run into the batt channell and the other into channell 7 since it is unused. I run a JR matchbox on the elevator halves. Works great. JR is having a big sale on alot of there stuff, I picked up two matchboxes through my LHS lastweek for $15 a pop. I will be using one in my new EF Yak and the other will be on the shelf for later use.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone seen the new Lanier 94" Yak in the flesh? Any threads started on the new big brother? (couldn't find any through my search). They STILL got the manual wrong, used Edge pictures instead of Yak, reference a DA 50 for the 94" - don't think so!

I'm rebuilding my 87" Yak 54 after an engine flame-out on a vertical takeoff. Just enough height to stall it forward and land hard on the belly. The LG took the brunt, but the weight of the motor up front tore the nose off ahead of the wing tube.
    I've removed all the debris, stuck it back together, traced the patterns, and made up all new double laminated ply parts, except I choose not to add the poorly located lightening holes in the critical locations (landing gear plate, fuse sides directly above the gear plate, etc). I was able to break the FG wing tube away from the fuse sides and slide it out, so I can now drop in my new engine box and gear structure in one piece. Then it's just some cosmetic work.
    I had always planned to swap out the ZDZ 50 for my ZDZ 60, even before the mishap. Now I'll do it for sure, but best of all I get to relocate the firewall back about 1 inch to accomodate for the longer motor.
    Off to Toledo to buy some matching covering for cheap!

Peter
    Peter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys, well flew my Yak on Wednesday and it flew really nice. took off at half throttle. I have a FPE 70 cc in it. on the second flight I missed juded the runway and one wheel landed in the taller grass and the other on the runway which is a very short grass. It pulled off the right landing gear. As you can see the damage, and also the plywood that is there is really bad. Holes in the plywood as you can see in the pic. Also I see the side is weak just where the landing gear slips in. I am going to modify it with a solid piece on each side, and 2 pieces 1/4" for a 1/2" thick plywood plate and I will screw on the landing gear from the bottom. I will have a large opening, and that opening will be filled with a foam shaped piece rounded off to the shape of the bottom, and covered with light balsa. whenever I want to check the tightness of the bolts will just pull out the piece. Same system as the GP Super Stearman but just larger. This is a very weak point of this design, Lanier should do something about it, as there has been many complaints. I know of a friend that went to Toledo and reported it to the Lanier booth and they seemed not to care. That is not good. Beacause that is one fine good looking and really nice flying plane.
    Also, I did not even break the wooden prop, or not even a scratch on the landing gears or wheel pants, so something is definitely wrong here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig13100.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	673416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu61127.jpg 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	673417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc93372.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	673418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl21377.jpg 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	673419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rl25740.jpg 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	673420  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Al70529.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	673421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fc90082.jpg 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	673422  

A little bit of "deja-vu," there, mga. Been there-done that. I have flown mine many times after I did a gearblock mod with no more problems. I like it more every time I fly it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you any pics of your mods.

ORIGINAL: mga

Have you any pics of your mods.
    I didn't make any pics of it, but if you want the details, then just pm me and I will tell you what I did.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mga

I know of a friend that went to Toledo and reported it to the Lanier booth and they seemed not to care. That is not good. Beacause that is one fine good looking and really nice flying plane.
    Also, I did not even break the wooden prop, or not even a scratch on the landing gears or wheel pants, so something is definitely wrong here.

Ok, so you had a crappy landing and it's Laniers problem why? If you guys looked at how almost all of the 35 -40% planes are built, you'd realise they're very fragile. In fact, most of the big planes come with warnings that if you land too hot, and swerve on the pad, then you probably will rip the gear plate out. Do you want it light, or do you want it built like a tank to withstand the pilots bad landings? You can't have both.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I dont know too many planes that would still have their landing gear attached after a landing like that. I also think one of the reasons why the plate is built weak is so it will break out without ripping out the whole underneath of the plane in case of a bad landing such as this. Easier putting in landing gear block than rebuilding your whole fuselage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got news for you, The prop did not even break. Did you see the picture of the wood. Hollow in the middle. It is of cheap chineese plywood. It was a soft landing, one wheel in short grass and other in longer grass. I fly over 80 gallons of fuel a year. Have been in the hobby RC since 1962. Also I have read on this message board that others had the same problem. If Lanier used a good quality plywood and a stronger side build up, this would not of happened.
    Go back and look at the picture I posted. Oh, I will save you the problem to go and look, here it is. Also the landing gear did not even bend, so if it would of been a hard landing, from what others have said, the landing gear is supposed to be a soft metal, so again, proof that it was a soft landing. I am not afraid to admit a damage if it is my fault. I have often mention that it was a pilot error, but in this case, no way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us53859.jpg 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	674270  

Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast