Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 330L

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Extra 330L

Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Extra 330L

Bliksem, how is that Giles coming along?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Giles is coming along fine. Last week I was on vacation and the weather gods smiled and gave us a whole week of flying weather. Needless to say, not much building occurred.

For those who are not aware I fly here in deep south Texas and the weather is usually lousy. If you are not willing to fly in hot & windy conditions then this is not a place to be.

I did not do the built-up wing, stab or rudder. I cut foam cores and sheeted using 1/16" contest balsa. The flying surfaces are now all done and final assembly will start this week end. So far the Giles should be coming in at around 10lbs AUW. This should be a nice flying plane.

The Extra will follow after this project but I am seriously considering doing foam wings, stabs, rudder and decks using foam & balsa skin.

BTW - I am often asked, "Don't you have enough planes?" I point out that a shrink will cost more than my planes ever will. I call it "Sanity Therapy."

Live to Fly, Fly to Live.

Bliksem
Old 01-08-2012, 05:38 AM
OldScaleGuy

Oh yea, you have to fly when you can. We actually had a nice day here in southern Indiana yesterday, well in to the 50's, bright sun, light breeze, so out to the field we went along with several others. Needless to say very little was done to the 330 yesterday. I really like your idea of using foam. It is a bit too late for this one but it will be interesting to see how you proceed if you decide to go that route. The right wing panel is now ready for glue. It kind of all goes together like a jig saw puzzle and once you have all the pieces properly in place then the glue is added. Hey Bliksem, does that brown tube look familiar?
Edit: Absolutely correct... "Live to Fly, Fly to Live".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70611.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1711313  
Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, the tube looks familiar. Are you going to strengthen the tube to spars connection? I wrapped Kevlar tow around the assembly before I fitted the skins.

Bliksem
Old 01-08-2012, 07:31 AM
OldScaleGuy

Actually i was just thinking about that. Do you recall how you did that? The way the panel is constructed (accordingly to the manual) the top skin is added before the panel is removed from the building board. Based on your experience i definately want to follow your lead on that.
Edit: After studying the structure. Will this work? Kevlar and epoxy resin the just the top spar to the wing tube going more than 50% around the tube. Apply top sheeting and what ever else needs to be done before removing the wing from the board. Then do the same from the bottom before the bottom sheeting is added. Make sense? Do you recall what weight of kevlar tow you used? (sorry for so many questions)
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM
OldScaleGuy

Kevlar and epoxy resin arrived yesterday. Got the first of it applied today. Five hours later and it is still not fully cured. Should be able to proceed in the morning.

Name:	Us54358.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	1713896  
Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 AM
OldScaleGuy

Epoxy resin cured well over night. The leading edge and center section sheeting added today. I like to ca the edges and use Titebond on the ribs. So,,, lots of pins required.

Name:	Ca81535.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	1714391  
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 AM
OldScaleGuy

After giving this quite a lot of thought, i have decided to continue with this build by opening a thread in the Kit Building Forum. Please join in there http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10943237/tm.htm
Old 02-04-2012, 07:03 AM
OldScaleGuy

After giving this quite a lot of thought, i have decided to continue with this build by opening a thread in the Kit Building Forum. Please join in there http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10943237/tm.htm