Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What Do YOU Consider 3D?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What Do YOU Consider 3D?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 05:29 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Do YOU Consider 3D?

To get back to scale model airplanes V.S. "3D planes"

A scale model airplane is just as capable (More so in the right hands) than a UCD ever dreamed. I would match my fliton extra, 35% WH extra, or EF Yak up against any UCD, mayheim, or razzel [:'(] and win. And yes I have flown all of the designs listed!! The UCD is a fun plane to hover and TR with, it will do nearly every move in the book HOWEVER it cant do it as clean and perfect as a scale plane in the right hands. If I want to do some HA Rolling figure eights with a reversal in the middle and stop the rolls every other roll in a HA KE position the UCD is NOT my plane of choice. Where as the EF Yak will float through this manuver with no problems.

I forgot to add...IMO a good profile such as the OMP brand is a perfect blend of the two worlds. You can get precision yet its forgiving if you push too hard.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:33 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

To me....any manuever that Patty Wagstaff cannot do in her Extra 300S would be considered 3D.
I dont know about you but I have seen patty wagstaff Torque roll in her extra. And I have a video somewhere of SEan Tucker doing a High Alpha Rolling circle.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:29 AM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: MustangAce
Plane and simple.......post stall aerobatics.
Does that make IMAC maneuvers like snap roll, hammer head or 2 turn spin 3D moves? They all happen with wing stalled. [&:]

Also, it does not take a lot of power to do harriers (not super HA), elevators, walls, blenders, KE Spins & slow descending flat spins and these are surely 3D moves. So I could theoretically have a plane capable of 3D with out the power to hover [&:]

3D- simply having enough thrust to do sustained maneuvers at up to and including vertically oriented maneuvers. (Dick Hanson)post#35
I think I like Dicks definition.

A GOOD 3D design is measured by it's performance BETWEEN the unstalled, stable flying state and the completely stalled, stationary flying state. (Shogun)
This makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:42 PM
tpstorey

Among other answers mentioned, I also think of 3D as doing things within a very small "3D box" for the size of the airplane.

...and isn't a flat plate really a FULLY symmetrical airfoil?