Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Old 01-27-2007, 09:15 PM
pliebo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxair Revolution II Velox

hey there guys, I ordered one of these from maxair, I've been looking at this plane for a while now and when I saw it for 179 I couldn't pass it up. I am debating on what engine to use, I have a saito 125 but the muffler is broken right at the head and can't get jb weld to hold it. I can get a new head for $90 or maybe get a ys 110. I've never used the ys's before because I've heard they're difficult to get tuned easily. I'm leaning toward the ys just to try something new. As for the firewall reinforcement, I might use gorilla glue with some fiberglass shavings mixed in. I tried that on my fliton extra and it made it SO strong. sounds like this is the perfect larger size plane I'm looking for, and can't wait to get it on the bench, and in the air!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

That is a great buy. And I think you'll really like the plane. I like mine. I fly mine with the might 110. I started with the Saito but I think the 110 makes more power. Especially true at my elevation.

Good Luck
Thansk
BArry
Old 01-29-2007, 10:18 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

The Saito 1.25 is weak IMO,mmaybe good for a 7lb plane but not a 9 lb. After using 4 strokes for several years,I'm back to 2-strokes for good. You can 3-D like crazy with a good 2-stroke so why throw $$$ out the window on fuel & engine? My choice: OS 1.20 AX,I have 2 now & love 'em. My Velox is getting one.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
pliebo

yea, but I just love the low rumble of that 4 stroke, and I like the torque they make for 3-d, (which I'm still learning.) It seems like the 2 strokes are faster revving, better for racing and fast flying. Just my opinion, I like the 2 strokes too for some things.

I got the confirmation email tonight so I know the rev 2 is on the way! I guess I'm going to order the mighty 110. I live in the smoky mtns, not real high elevation, but our field is probobly 3500'. I had the saito 125 on my funtana and it did ok but seemed a little weak. Besides I love trying something new. So do you have to use special fuel for the YS's? I saw some at the hobby shop that said for YS. Also I read something on this thread about turning the regulator screw out 3 turns? does that sound right? I guess I could always read the manual when it gets here.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Barry Cazier

I use Cool Power 30% in my mighty 110. You want to go with a minimum of 20% nitro and 20% oil. That's usually what the YS Blend is.

On all of mine I had to open the regulator to 3 trurns to get a reliable idle. However if you are ordering a new engine I think they modified the regulator somewhat. I'd try it exactly like it comes to you may be perfect. If it won't idle well, open the reg a bit.

Good luck. I think you'll really like the combo.

Thanks
Barry
Old 01-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Barry Cazier

Also, with the YS you can move the tank back and it won't be a problem at all. Makes the plane easy to balance and keeps the weight on the CG. And the transition of the YS is in a world all it's own. You will be amazed.

Thanks
Barry
Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 PM
pliebo

cool, thanks for the info. can't wait to try the 110, I ordered one from chief tonight. along with the spectrum reciever. It will be nice to have the regulator so the fuel tank position can be adjusted. How do you fill the tank if you can't see the fuel in the vent line coming into the muffler?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:06 AM
Barry Cazier

When you get the mighty 110 it will come with directions. It's very critical that you follow (and double check, twice) the fuel line set up. It's easy to get wrong if you're not careful. Anyways, in the carb line and the return line (it's a closed system) I install a tee with a short line coming out to atomsphere with a plug in it. Then when you fill the tank you undo the pressure side first (if you don't you'll get a big fat surprise with a squirt of fuel in the eye) and relieve teh pressure. Then you remove the plug from the other line and leave the pressure line open. Then you fill the tank until the fuel comes out the pressure line. Install both plugs and you're good to go.

The YS is a very different animal. Be patient and do it right. You'll be rewarded with the most responsive engine you've ever flown. By far. It's is amazing. The fuel tank is under pressure with about 9-12 psi. That's what gives you INSTANT throttle response. That and the engine is supercharged which adds about 3 PSI to the air intake. This engine produces HP. You simply will not believe the difference from what you've been flying. And it's very economical. I use a 16oz tank and can fly for 13 minutes and have 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank left. Every time. It's amazing.

But they are difficult to tune. But once you get them set they never need tuning again. In fact...just leave it alone. Maybe the new regulator will make them easier to tune or perfect from the factory. Of the six I have...I had one that ran perfect. The other 5 I had to adjust to perfect. I did that by opening the regulator to 3 turns on every one of them.

The other thing that confuses people is the low speed jet. It is opposite of everything else. you open it to lean it. It is an air screw, not a fuel screw. So...you close it (less air) to richen it and open it (more air) to lean it. After you get use to it it's not hard buy you have to know what you're doing. I start with the low speed jet (air screw) 1 1/2 turns out. I also start with the main jet 1 3/4 turns out.

Anyways, you will be amazed at the instant throttle response. It's simply quicker than anything on the market. And then just when you think that's the best benefit...you reach top end and realalize that you have more power than anybody else also. Pretty darn cool. Than you follow it up with better fuel milage than everybody else. The whole package is amazing.

Thanks
Barry

PS: Put the amazing engine with the best flying 90 size airplane out there (not the best quality, but the best flying) and you've got quite a package.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 AM
Barry Cazier

Also...

Don't bother with much of a break in on the YS. They don't need it. Run the engine before you fly it for 1 tank. That's it. after that just fly it without a lot of full throttle and high torque stuff for about 10 flights. Then the engine is considered fully broken in. The manual goes over that. Start with an APC 16x6 prop. That's usually the best. I sometimes run a 17x4W which is better for hovering only, but has quite a bit slower spool up. If you want to hover though it's great. Everything else the 16x6 is better.

BTW, I say in an eariler post where you thought the 2 strokes accelerate quicker. You won't be saying that much longer. That is the YS's strongest point. It accelerates so fast it's scary. It's instant. Makes for great waterfalls, flat spins, etc. The 2 strokes will do them but not as quick as the YS. Take offs are so quick it's amazing.

But the proof is in the pudding as they say. I can't wait to hear your opinion after you fly the mighty 110. I tried one and won't go back now. But the first 6 months were terrible. TERRIBLE. I couldn't make them run. But once I figured the regulator out...WOW!

Thanks
Barry
Old 01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
pliebo

wow! sounds like I made the right choice getting the 110. It sounds a little more difficult to tune, and as for the " just leave it alone" thing, I wish I could. I"m always tinkering with the screws trying to get the most power out of it while making it as rich as possible. sounds like I need to pick up a couple of fuel line T's and a couple of props. I really apprecciate the advice and can't wait for it to get here.
I thought the saito 125 was a good engine but it did feel a little weak for the size.didn't seem to have much more power than the 90, but sucked a lot more fuel.
on another note, I have the fliton edge with an os 90 on it, and the fliton extra with the saito 90 on it and I think the os has more power.
I usually like the saito better, but on the 90, I think os's got iyt. It's wild that ys only makes a few different sizes of engine though. I guess those are the only ones you need.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Barry Cazier

Resist the urge to tinker. My guess...when you get the thing running you won't worry about the extra power you might get with a click here or a click there because of humidity or tempreature. It'll be fine and the power will be so much greater than what you're used to it just won't matter.

I use the 30% Cool Power. It has 22% oil content. Leaves a beautiful smoke trail almost like a smoke pump. It's wonderful.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-01-2007, 12:14 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier
I use the 30% Cool Power. It has 22% oil content. Leaves a beautiful smoke trail almost like a smoke pump. It's wonderful.

Thanks
Barry

I love that too,,, its way cool!!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:51 PM
pliebo

I got the mighty 110 delivered today! hopefully the Velox will come tomorrow. the manual for the ys says not to use 4 stroke fuel because of the low oil content. I guess as long as it has 22% oil it's ok? anyway it says not to adjust the regulator screw, and the hsn should start at 1 1/2 turns open. also it shows fuel filters on both pressure line and carb line. do you guys use filters on both? And one last thing, they recommend prop sizes 13.5/10-13 and 14/10-12. I guess that would be for pattern flying instead of 3-d? I got the 16-4 and 16-6. If I need to order a couple more and some fuel filters I can.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Barry Cazier

The fuel I use is Cool Power 30%. I'm not sure if it's 4 stroke or not. But it is the fuel most recommended by YS. Don't believe it when it says not to touch the regulator. If it doesn't idle well, it's the regulator. But leave it where it is for now. May be perfect. Yes, I use two fuel filters. Watch the fuel line hook up diagram very carefully. It is correct but can be deceiving. Make certain you hook the lines up exactly as the diagram shows. It's very easy to get wrong (backwards) if you are careless. For 3D the recommended props are wrong. Again, 16x6 is teh best all around prop. The 16x4W is not enough prop. You'll overspeed the engine. I use that prop on my Saito 100. The other prop I use is a 17x4W. It will turn about 9800 which is more than the 16x6 but spool up is slower and thrust is about 1 pound less. But the 17x4W is way easier to hover with for some reason. But overall the 16x6 is the best choice.

Good luck and

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Barry Cazier

Also...

Make sure you install the check valve. Install it per the diagram.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

The Cool Power fuel that Barry is talking about is the 30% Heli fuel. It is great stuff and has the proper oil content. The APC 16-6 is the best prop for this plane and I don't bother using anything else to break in the engine. You won't be sorry you got the 110. Spend some time reading this forum if you haven't already. Pay attention to all the glue joints and don't be afraid to stiffen up the engine mount area. Get a different tail wheel assembly as well. I used a Sig assembly as recommended by Barry. It is very nice.
Don
Old 02-02-2007, 09:01 PM
tonealone
My Feedback: (28)

Hey Guys,

I just received my Velox II and I have a YS 1.10 with slimline pitts for it. This is my first YS engine and the fellow i purchased it from did not have the instructions. By any chance, can anyone PDF the manual and send it to me by email?? or fax?Send me a PM and I'll provide my contact info.

By the way - great read on this thread. I cant wait to get mine in the air.

I am planning to use an APC 16.5x5W prop. I heard these were made specifically for the 1.10 - not sure if true. Anyone try the powermaster ys blend or should i stick with cool power 30% as it is more readily available where i am.

Anyways - I would appreciate any info and/or instruction manual for the 1.10.

Thanks,

Tony

Old 02-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Barry Cazier

tonealone...

Congratulations on getting this plane. I'll guess you'll really like it.

I tried the 16.5x5 prop. I acted good but was too much prop at my elevation. I couldn't bring it up to speed. So...my guess is it will work if you're close to sea level. If your high...you'll wanta go with the 16x6. Better fit.

Here's a link to the YS website including a download for the whooping 2 page manual.

Thanks
Barry

http://www.yspartsandservice.com/parts_ys110fz.php
Old 02-02-2007, 11:19 PM
tonealone
My Feedback: (28)

Barry,

Thanks for the info.

I am located pretty much at sea level so i think the 16.5x5W will be OK. First time YSer. Also, no one else at my club uses them.

Stay tuned - I'll probably through a few questions at ya later on.

Thanks again for the link. I'll go do some reading.

Tony
Old 02-03-2007, 01:08 PM
aubej
My Feedback: (1)

We're going on vacation!

From www.Maxairrc.com:

Vacation Alert!!!!
We've just got hit with another 6 inches of snow, so we're decided to go south and enjoy some sun for a week. While we're gone, the store will be closed, but to make up for it, all order tht get put through until February 11, 2007 and have the coupon code: VACATION will get an extra 10% off the already low sale price!!!!
Don't forget, shipping charges will be added during the processing of your order.
See you in a week!

Team MaxAir
Old 02-04-2007, 08:05 AM
pliebo

Ur sh*&^%#in me, I have to wait another week or more for my plane???!!! Wish I could take off for a week and leave my bussiness hangin! So I guess I'll have to learn that dang patience thing again, I hate that one!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:32 AM
aubej
My Feedback: (1)

Phil,

Your plane was shipped last week.
I'll PM you the tracking number...it's showing in Kentucky right now.

All orders have been shipped.

Jason

ORIGINAL: pliebo

Ur sh*&^%#in me, I have to wait another week or more for my plane???!!! Wish I could take off for a week and leave my bussiness hangin! So I guess I'll have to learn that dang patience thing again, I hate that one!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 AM
pliebo

awesome, I just found out my plane has shipped, thanks, sorry for the impatience. I'm envious, I really would love to go on vacation somewhere warm! have a great time
Old 02-06-2007, 09:24 PM
pliebo

hey there, I got my plane delivered tonight! it really is beautiful. I was wondering if you use the pull pull set up with the mighty 110 if it would be nose heavy. I don't want to have to add any weight to the tail. I'm using 130 oz metal gear digitals I got from Fedon Aircraft here in sevierville. they are probobly a little heavier than the hitecs I usually use. so far I'm really liking the way this thing goes together. I feel like a dumbass for giving the guy a hard time for going on vacation. please forgive my dumbness.[]
My covering is pretty loose on this plane. I guess I'll have to get a heat gun. the covering is nice and thick though and I love the colors.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Barry Cazier

Make sure you use the pull/pull set up. You'll still need to put the battery pretty far forward. I didn't have to had any weight but I had to build with everything forward. Worth it. Good flying plane. Best in class in my opinion.

Thanks
Barry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.