3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

New Seagull Edge 540 "68

Old 03-01-2006, 04:41 PM
marc lorenz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Seagull Edge 540 "68

Hello PropSpinner,
The vertical was very good and should be better once I get the right prop on it. I flew it with a 15-8 prop and it was to much prop for the engine on the vertical line, Im going to try a 14-6 on it this weekend and see how that works. Dont know if it will have unlimited vertical with the 91eng. but it should be real close to it. As for using a 120eng. I thought about using my webra 120 but I think it might be a little over kill. I dont think it will tumble as well with the size prop that you would be running on it and you would definently need to put some right thrust in it. That was one thing that I noticed on mine running that 15-8 prop is that the gyroscopic effect was pritty high and it had a hard time tumbling, the smaller diameter prop should help with that. Hope to know more after this weekend flying it with the different prop.
Marc Lorenz
Old 03-01-2006, 07:41 PM
PropSpinner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did anyone notice on the video that the engine size was listed as 1.00 - 1.20? What do you make of that?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:14 PM
marc lorenz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ya your right the video shows 100-120, I just took a look at the box mine came in and it shows .61-.91 2stroke and .91-100 4stroke. The Evolution 100 or a 1.08 might be a good choice for a 2stroke.

Marc Lorenz
Old 03-01-2006, 09:09 PM
PropSpinner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think a 108 would be perfect! The only problem is where can you get one.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Bodge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This where you can get one: http://www.justengines.unseen.org/ASP.htm

Just Engines supply the ASP 108 - an excellent engine.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Dealspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try a 15x4W APC on the 91FX After its good and broken in you should be able to pull a 16x4w on it, My buddy runs a 16x4w on his evo 100 and the 91 and evo are very close in power.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Sewerdude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Let us know Marc how she flys with the prop change. I'm still deciding either the 91 fx or a Saito 100, and yes I'm considering the new 120 AX..Im just not sure how the Saito 100 would hover it being it weights in the 8-9 lb range. I'm open for advise. Thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Dealspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I went to the LHS last night and was given a Price of 139.00 for the new Edge[X(] Needless to say I jumped on that, Ill either run a 100 Evolution or the new 120 AX, still gonna be awhile before i got her done, I just started my second showtime and a F-40.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Sewerdude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

$139 for the NEW Edge??????? Thats a steal! I've seen the older Seagull Edge on sale, since its been replaced with the new Edge. Well, I ordered mine last night from Horizon, looking forward to getting it! I'm tryin to decide which engine to use to. Not sure if its going to be too heavy for a Saito 100. Hopefully Marc can get some flyin in this weekend and let us know how the 91 Fx did.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:34 PM
mtbell92

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm building one and I'm going to put a YS110 with a 16X6 prop on mine. Should be plenty of power. Can't wait to fly her.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:36 AM
jfail1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine is completed and just waiting for the weather to cooperate. It has a Saito 100, I re-oriented the engine to be inverted with a Maxx products on-board glow driver. I probably do not really need the driver as I have had good luck with inverted Saitos in the past but I had it laying around and it was no big deal to add it. Plus the added weight of the driver battery helped with the balance/CG. I changed the fuel tank to a Sullivan 12 ounce round tank and lowered it to get the fuel feed at the same level as the carburator to avoid siphon problems. All servos are in the normal position as directed in the manual. I had to add 2.5 ounces to the nose to get it to balance at the recommended CG. Using a APC 16X6 with the additional weight of the prop over a wooden prop also helped get the balance correct. I am glad to see the positive comments on here by those who have flown it. I am hoping to fly mine on Monday, March 13th if the weather cooperates. I have had it ready for three days now but high winds have created problems. I will post a flight report.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Sewerdude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking forrward to the flight report jfail1. I received my Edge the other day. Was real impressed with the quality. Hope it flys as good as it looks. Sounds like this plane needs some weight up with a 91 fx or a Saito 100.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:55 PM
alpapilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Edge is almost done, I am just waiting on a rudder servo to come in. I put a Saito 125 on front, I hope that is enough power . If the LHS gets my servo in by 3/15 then I should get it flying the next day.

I left the engine in the stock diagonal mount so I could route the muffler out the bottom. I was also contemplating using an onboard igniter but I can't find one. I have no experience with the Saito 125 so we'll see.

Also, I dig the black canopy. I think scale pilots look gay.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:46 PM
marc lorenz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mtbell92,
Your Edge should fly awsome with the YS110, a freind of mine has the Extremeflight Yak54 with that engine on it and it has plenty of power to spair and the two airplanes are almost identical in size, weight and wing area. Well heres a flight update on mine with the OS 91FX. I changed to a 14-6 prop and the vertical was pretty much unlimited, even on take off pulling straight to vertical it would climb until it was a small dot, I figure thats pretty much unlimited vertical. Also it would hover fairly well but will do better with a 3D prop on it like a 15-4 or 16-4. The one thing I did notice is that it deffently needs 1or2 degrees of right thrust in the engine. If you dont get on the right rudder right away when you pull to the vertical it will realy go left on you and its hard to get it back straight, so some right engine thrust should take care of that, rather then adding more rudder throw which dosnt realy fix the real problem. And as far as the landing speeds with this air plane, it comes in as sweet as can be. I had it down to as slow as my Kaos 40 would land and it was very controlable. As far as the strengh of the airframe, I flew it as hard as I could and it stayed together, I even preformed a terminal velocity dive with it and had no indication of flutter (Note: I did seal up the aileron and elevator gaps so I dont know if it would flutter or not with them unsealed). So far I have been very happy with the airplane and cant find any bad faults with it other than just doing a little tweeking on it here and there which I think most of us do anyway. The only big thing Ive found is adding some right thrust to the engine to help it out on the vertical line and in the hover.
Have fun.
Marc Lorenz
Old 03-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Dealspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anybody have a AUW yet?? im really wondering how heavy this bird will be.
I think iv decided on running the new 120 AX
Old 03-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Sewerdude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Was thinking about getting the 120 ax myself. Ordered the 91 fx for this Edge since Marc had good luck with his combo. I think a 15x4 or 15x6 will be ok unless your into the tail tapping thing. I really dont think this plane was made for all out high alpha 3-d. Considering the weight and the total wing area I think keeping things as light as possible is the key.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
mtbell92

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flight Report.

I flew my edge for the first time today. It flew really well. The YS 110 was plenty of power and would hover at 1/2 throttle. It did not require a lot of runway. Landings was as easy as any plane I have ever flown. I got two flights in today and the more I fly this plane I think the more I will like it. I had the earlier version of the Seagull edge 540 with the same set up and I hated it. This plane is a great improvement from that one.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:08 PM
jonkara2003

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

alpapilot,

I have a saito 125 for mine also... please post a flight report... What servos did you use?
Old 03-17-2006, 05:50 AM
PropSpinner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

alpapilot and jonkara2003,

I also am looking forward to more flight reports.

I was born an raised in B'ham where alpapilot is from and live in Columbus where jonkara2003 is. Small world!

alpapilot which LHS do you shop at? Is Homewood Hobby still a good place to go?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:50 PM
jonkara2003

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PropSpinner,

Do you fly at new tail spinners club? Alum creek? I fly at Columbus-Aero Rc... in Grove city...
Old 03-18-2006, 11:12 AM
alpapilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: PropSpinner

alpapilot and jonkara2003,

I also am looking forward to more flight reports.

I was born an raised in B'ham where alpapilot is from and live in Columbus where jonkara2003 is. Small world!

alpapilot which LHS do you shop at? Is Homewood Hobby still a good place to go?
Yup, small world.

However, I moved from the Hams to Newnan, GA about six months ago. I guess I need to update my profile. But yes, when I lived in Mountain Brook Village I would go visit Brittney at Homewood Hobby a couple of times a week I think . Loved that place. Now that I am back in Newnan (where I was raised) I use the Hobby Stop and fly at the Flying Griffins down Hwy 16. Also, I have my entire family from my mother's side down in Columbus. And, I am an Auburn grad.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:17 AM
alpapilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jonkara2003

alpapilot,

I have a saito 125 for mine also... please post a flight report... What servos did you use?
I am using Hitiec 475's all the way around at six volts. That gives about 75 oz. of torque and with two servos on the h-stab I think that will be fine. I don't believe in digital servos because I'm not that precise. Even when I flew full scale aerobatics or am in the jet I am not that precise .

I hope to maiden The Edge (hehe, like U2) on Wednesday or Thursday and I will post a report.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:45 PM
mtbell92

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I flew my edge again today and I am really please with this plane. The plane is unlimited with the YS110. This plane does the blender really well. On low rates you can fly silky smooth maneuvers. On high rates the 3D is really good. I did give it more elevator on high rates that the manual called for. The more I fly this plane the more I like it. [8D]
Old 03-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Sewerdude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad everybody is sharing the good flight reports. Looks like this Edge is a winner compared to the "old' Seagull Edge. Still building mine , slow but sure. Anybody know what the small round balsa discs are for that were in the parts bag? Didnt see them called for in the instructions. Thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 07:34 AM
PropSpinner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jonkara2003

PropSpinner,

Do you fly at new tail spinners club? Alum creek? I fly at Columbus-Aero Rc... in Grove city...

I fly at LCRC in Newark. I did belong to Tailspinners but when they moved to their new field I started looking for another place to fly because they have too many trees and very little land. I lost one new plane trying to avoid a tree and damaged another. It's a very nice field but I just feel more comfortable at LCRC.

Search this Thread