Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

New Seagull Edge 540 "68

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

New Seagull Edge 540 "68

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 07:42 AM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Seagull Edge 540 "68

[/quote]

Yup, small world.

However, I moved from the Hams to Newnan, GA about six months ago. I guess I need to update my profile. But yes, when I lived in Mountain Brook Village I would go visit Brittney at Homewood Hobby a couple of times a week I think . Loved that place. Now that I am back in Newnan (where I was raised) I use the Hobby Stop and fly at the Flying Griffins down Hwy 16. Also, I have my entire family from my mother's side down in Columbus. And, I am an Auburn grad.
[/quote]

My dad had three degrees from Auburn and my nephew is also a Auburn grad. I lived in Homewood and still have family there.

I like what I here about this edge. I had a Aeroworks but you can't get them anymore.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60678.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	428852  
Old 03-19-2006, 05:13 PM
zsnugz

Kaos Krazy,

The wood discs go on the plasic screws that hold the wings in place. At least that is where I am putting mine. If you look at the pictures you can see that. They don't mention it in the directions as you mentioned.

Mike
Old 03-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Uh-Oh!

ORIGINAL: PropSpinner

I fly at LCRC in Newark. I did belong to Tailspinners but when they moved to their new field I started looking for another place to fly because they have too many trees and very little land. I lost one new plane trying to avoid a tree and damaged another. It's a very nice field but I just feel more comfortable at LCRC.
Talk about it being a small world.... I grew up just west of "Nerk Ahia" in Granville waaaaaaaay back in the 70's! To make it even smaller, our club president here in Jackson TN is another Newark transplant. This is getting a spooky Twilight Zone vibe huh??

Any-hoooo

I just picked up the new Edge saturday and am very impressed with it. I'm planning on a Saito 100, so far, depending on balance. I also had a brain cramp and asked myself, "Self, I wonder what the Evolution 26 gasser would be like on this plane?" Since I'm not answering myself, just yet, I thought I'd post the question here. What do y'all think?

Dave

having a flashback of a concert I never went to....
Old 03-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Zsnugs, I see that now, I jumped the gun with the post. Guess I should of looked at the pics more than trying to find it in the instructions. Years ago, I use to just look at the pics and not read the instructions.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:39 PM
marc lorenz
My Feedback: (14)

Alpapilot
What kind of airplane did you fly when you flew full scale aerobatics? I flew a Yak50 when I was flying competition along with a few others when I was flight testing in Mcinney Tx.
Marc Lorenz
Old 03-20-2006, 08:08 PM
alpapilot
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: marc lorenz

Alpapilot
What kind of airplane did you fly when you flew full scale aerobatics? I flew a Yak50 when I was flying competition along with a few others when I was flight testing in Mcinney Tx.
Marc Lorenz
Hehe, nothing as cool as a Yak50. I instructed in a T-34B (civilian) and a Citabria many years ago. The T-34 is still one of my absolute favorite airplanes that I have ever flown. It had the stability of a tank .
Old 03-21-2006, 01:14 AM
stratosman
My Feedback: (13)

Will I just bought my 540 from Seagull,and was impressed with the way it was put together.I also bought my first 4 stroke a Saito 100 for it and put a gallon through it breaking it in.What props would be a good combo for the 100 flying 3D.I was thinking of putting a APC 15x6 prop on it .But being my first 4 stroke I am not sure that it is the right one.I can't wait to get it flying,hopefully I'll get it together this weekend .I fly a U Can Do 46 now and I think this 540 will be a good next plane.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:50 PM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

I started my edge several months ago and have been delayed by the lack of quality. The first arf was damaged because the wing tube was loose in the box. it took almost three weeks to have horizon send out a new one and reimburse me for the first one. But the quality of that arf was really good untill I attached the ailerons and discovered that the left wing at the tip at the trailing edge has -1 1/2 degree incidence and the right wing at the tip at the trailing edge has +2 1/2 degree of incidence. When I called Horizon they asked me to use a heat gun and straighten the wings out. Now I'm not a begginer in fact I have built several kits for myself as well as friends( single guy). But the first thing I need to know in order to try to straighten out the wings is are they truley flat or do they need a little wash out? Horizon couldn't ansewer that question. Well I tried to make them flat with very minor sucess. So I called Horizon to ask for replacemants and they said I needed to first ship the originals back to them, they would inspect them and replace them if neccasary. I sure hope they choose to replace them with straight wings becuse our local club is growing very quickly and it would be a shame to have to put "this plane is a lemon" on it for all to see.

Picard
Old 03-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picard,
Is your Edge the "older" model? Which I believe is red blue and white? I see where you stated that you puchased it several months ago I was under the impression that this Edge that is talked about in this thread ,just was released?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:46 AM
picard1

kaos,
mine is the new release red and white. I started a thread when it first arrived and have been plagued with problems from the begining. I have the new saito 125 waiting to be mounted and I was hoping to be involved with the preliminary flight reports.I am still looking forward to flying the new edge but now i'll have to wait several weeks for replacement wings.

Mike
Old 03-23-2006, 05:01 PM
alpapilot

I flew my Edge for the first time yesterday unfortunately, it was too windy to really ring her out. It looks like I need to add some nose weight because it seemed a little squirlly in the air, plus my CG is about a half inch further back than recommended. However, it could have just been the wind.

Also, on landing I broke that flimsy, plastic tail wheel bracket. I did not like it from the start but I figured I would try it out. Now it has a Carl Goldberg tail wheel - feels much better.

I have a Saito 125 on the front and boy does it act like a homesick angel! I had to throttle back to less that half after takeoff or the thing was going to achieve orbit. For my first nitro 3D plane, me likey.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
jonkara2003

Alpapilot,
I have the same engine for my edge... did you mount yours diagonally ? how did it fit? could you have moved the engine foreword to help with CG instead of adding nose weight? would hate to add much weight to this plane... sounds like you like plane engine combo?

thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 PM
alpapilot

ORIGINAL: jonkara2003

Alpapilot,
I have the same engine for my edge... did you mount yours diagonally ? how did it fit? could you have moved the engine foreword to help with CG instead of adding nose weight? would hate to add much weight to this plane... sounds like you like plane engine combo?

thanks
Yes, I mounted the engine diagonally that way I could run the stock muffler out the bottom of the cowl. I thought about mounting it sideways but there seemed to be no benefit. The muffler of course needed a cut-out on the bottom and the engine only needed a small cut-out for the valve covers.

I have the engine mounted as far forward as possible on the stock mount. Also, the cowl is as far forward as it can be with out there being a gap over the tank compartment.

As far as added weight is concerned, I think that this engine can easily handle a couple more ounces. Not a big deal. I'm thinking this plane will hover at less than half throttle.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:00 AM
jonkara2003

Alpapilot,

Have you flown your edge lately, how are you liking it? Did you add more nose weight yet?
anymore recommendations on set up?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:42 AM
alpapilot

ORIGINAL: jonkara2003

Alpapilot,

Have you flown your edge lately, how are you liking it? Did you add more nose weight yet?
anymore recommendations on set up?
Sorry I have not posted a flight report yet. I on a trip right now and just found a computer in the hotel. Anyway, yes I have flown my Edge a few more times and I think I have got tweeked now.

I did not use traditional nose weight on the plane. Why? Because it just would not fit on the shaft with the spinner adapter I have. So, I used a steel bracket that went with my gas log fireplace. I bolted that sucker to the firewall and now it balances just fine. I have no idea how much the plane weighs but frankly, I don't care (explanation to follow).

I crammed in a new 16 oz. fuel tank. While breaking in this Saito I was only getting about seven minutes of flight time. The bigger fuel tank is about 10 - 12 minutes. Once the engine is broken in I am sure that will go up quite a bit.

The landing gear needs to be replaced with carbon gear. Maybe its just me and I can't land worth a d@mn but every landing but one caused the gear to bend. There is no bounce. One was so hard (it didn't look like it was going to be) that the landing gear bent up so much that it had a prop strike. Part of the problem is (if you can call it a problem) is that this plane lands SLOWWWWW. Slower than even my electrics.

Did, I mention slow? The Edge has about 800 squares of wing area and the Funtana has about 1000. I was at the field with a guy flying his Funtana. The Edge can fly soooo much slower than the Funtana. And, this guys funtana felt lighter than my Edge. It is hard to harrier because it can fly normally so slow.

Harriers only use a touch of throttle above idle. Hovers are at about one third throttle! Half sends it straight up. Full sends it straight up, but faster! Flat spins both upright and inverted are super easy and blenders are near perfect. The descent just stops.

So far I really love this plane but, it can be pitchy with a tail heavy CG. With such a short tail moment and long wings you are going to get that.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:48 AM
jonkara2003

Thanks alpapilot... Sounds like a great plane... can't wait to get mine in the air...
Old 04-02-2006, 05:52 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

Very Good thread guys! I just picked one of these up yesterday and I hope to have it in the air next weekend. It will be YS 110 powered with Hitec 5625s all the way around I think it will be a killer combo. I will keep you guys posted of my progress.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:26 AM
alpapilot

I guess I should give my setup as well. I think I said before that I put a Saito 125 on the front with a Zinger 16x6 prop. Hitec 475s all around and they seem to be plenty to whip this plane around. Anything else is just icing.

I still highly recommend that unless you land awsome everytime, get some carbon gear. I forgot to mention that I broke the cheap plastic tail wheel bracket so I bolted on a Carl Goldberg and it is much more sturdy.

Also, stuff a bigger tank up front. Other than these things I think this plane is a real winner.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:20 PM
kwboost

I finished my segull edge 540 about 2 months ago. I was very impressed eith the quality of the kit. I am using a saito 100 w/apc 16x4w, hitek mini's 225bb on elevator and ailerons, micro on throttle, and 5645mg on rudder. Balanced 1/4 inch behind recomenended c.g. I built it as light as I could. Came out at 8lb 2oz. As for flight performance, the saito 100 struggled in a hover w/15% nitro. After switching to 30% she screams. I am at 4500 ft elevation so this is why lack of power. It holds a knife edge realy well with some minor mixing (5-7% of up elev. and 2-3% of opposite ail). No bad stall tendencies. as long as you modulate the power she will fly as slow as you like. I am no expert 3d pilot but of all my planes this one is the easiest for hovering.

My only compaint is that the wheel pants are a little flimsy. After about 30 flights or so, one cracked and fell off in the air due to vibration or those airframe killing knife edge spins I was doing repeatedly[8D]
Old 04-06-2006, 11:29 AM
olof

Would that be 8lbs 2oz with fuel or without, thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 05:10 PM
kwboost

My plane was 8lb 2oz dry. 2oz lighter than minimum advertised wieght.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:13 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

Just to let you guys know the cabon fiber wing tube from an Extreme flight Yak will work perfect if you trim about 2 inches off of it. So if you can find them anywhere it will save a couple ounces. I will say the construction I see in this plane while a little heavy really is very impressive. It seems to me that all the companies are so worried about weight savings that they are making the planes too fragile. This plane appears to be built very strong and I like that alot.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:57 PM
stratosman
My Feedback: (13)

Well I finally finished my Seagull 540.I put a Sato 100 in it for power.I've no scale so I don't know what she weighs. First flight is tomorrow if the weather corporates. I've got the C.G.at 4 1/2 inches and I'm worried that it may be to far back.What do you guys think? Any one running past the 4" C.G.?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:28 PM
kwboost

Just double checked, I am running my c.g. at 4 1/8 inches from the leading edge at fuse. Plane flies good, easy, and no bad habbits.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
BB76V

Hello- I bought the edge 68". I use a supre tigre gs2300 1.4 c.i. wow what an airplane. vertical all day long. it will do most 3-d maneuver's. the only thing holding it back is me.
the plane was nose heavy, go figure, so it required tail weight. the c.g is a bit aft, but
the plane handles rock steady. no tip stalls. elevator's are straight with a little wing
rocking, but other than that you don't have to worry about it dropping a tip on landing
when you get to slow. i wasn't impressed with the covering, i had to take a iron to
everything. all in all this a really good arf for the price. the .90 might work fine, but the
gs2300 is far enough to do anything you want with plane. it did bring the total weight to
10 lbs. even at that weight it still floats to landing.dead sticks are easy but get it back asap.if the plane is balanced correctly and power is beefy you'll have one of the best arf's
out there for the price. i got mine at a local rider's for $159.00. what a steal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.