Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Models and fullsize in the air together - good or bad ?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Models and fullsize in the air together - good or bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 10:37 AM
"3Dnow"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Models and fullsize in the air together - good or bad ?

How many of you guy's fly at your club or otherwise, sharing airspace with full size aircraft.

How does this effect yours/their flying?

Is this your only option or was it a wish to do so?

Do you think it is a good or bad practice?

We too fly from a full size airport, just wanted to know how many others did so. We have ultralites and light aircrafts on the field all day.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:18 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Full Scale and Models flying space

Full scale always has the right of way. Train your club members to alert pilots of an approaching aircraft. Having a second or third set of eyes is the only way to avoid interference.

On busy flying days there are normally quite a few planes that fly over or by the RC field. In the Washington DC suburbs it is quite common. Local full scale flyers fly by and over the field to watch.

The AMA http://modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/ has rules to follow. There are a few giant scale meets that are flown on airports with the cooperation of the full scale pilots and RC pilots in the area. (Not valid for France but still good guidelines).

At the full scale air show locally the opener is of giant scale warbird models. A friend asked me to serve as flight boss this year. It is the busiest I have been in quite a while for a few hours. There are some photos at http://www.frederickmodelaircraftclu...Air%20Show.htm

At contests when a full scale interrupts the sequence the pilot reenters the box and performs the last judged maneuver and then continues the sequence with judging continuing once the full scale has cleared the area.

In the greater Washington area it is all but impossible to find a place with no full scale activity. Keep alert to them.

Hope this helps,
EXCAP232
Old 11-28-2002, 11:26 AM
"3Dnow"

Hello EXCAP232

We too fly from a full size airport, just wanted to know how many others did so. We have ultralites and light aircrafts on the field all day. We use radio to keep in contact with the C/T and this works well.
Old 11-28-2002, 05:27 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

I fly at the WACO airfield iin Troy Ohio, which is a full scale grass runway.

We have no radios, BUT eaach of our club members is well aware of full scales. Each full scale pilot that flies in and out of this airfield is knowledgable about the RC presence there and knows to make a pass so we know hes coming in. Full scale always have the right of way. ALWAYS have a spotter!

Bottom line is, unless the full scale and model pilots know exactly our procedures, they do not fly there!
Old 11-28-2002, 06:52 PM
Rcaerosport

In land scarce Singapore, we fly relatively close-by to an operational air force base! There are times of the year, where we see F-16s or Chinooks zooming by, though these incidents are kept to the minimum, as we maintain good ties with the Air Force.

When they call us to stand down, all flying activities cease, till we are given the green light. Anyway, those topgun wannabes should really be flying higher, rather than buzzing the tree tops(the field is at the outskirts of the state)!