Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 Servos

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtana 90 Servos

Old 02-12-2006, 10:15 AM
flipflop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 Servos

Would you guys be afraid to use the Hitec 5975HB Karbonite servos in the Funtana? I bought these a couple of years ago for my Wildhare Edge but have been afraid to use them after all the reports of the gears breaking started coming in.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 11:31 AM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: Funtana 90 Servos

ORIGINAL: flipflop

Would you guys be afraid to use the Hitec 5975HB Karbonite servos in the Funtana? I bought these a couple of years ago for my Wildhare Edge but have been afraid to use them after all the reports of the gears breaking started coming in.

Thanks
Chris M., Ian W. and a lot of others are using the same gear-train on the UL Giles(bit bigger) and E.F. Yak without any problems. H.T. says they are good up to a 12 pound plane.

That being said, with 3D throws there is a lot of mechanical disadvantage over the servo gear-train. It does not take that big of a bump on the ground to cause problems--as you have seen by reports.

I would say if you can't use them in the F90 what can you use them in?

Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Shawnlh
My Feedback: (-1)

I use the 975's in my F90, flew all last year with them, and have had no problems at all. Lot's of torque, and too fast, had to dial in quite a bit of expo to slow them down.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:39 PM
dakster1a

STG- after your wisdom, I changed my 425's on the elevator and rudder to 625's. Thanks, you probably saved my plane. Anyway, I think the karbonite gears might list them as o.k. for a 12 pound plane, let's look at the size of the ailerons of the Funtana 90. They are doing twice the work on a 9 pound plane (because of their size) than the much smaller ailerons of a 12 pound pattern plane. Agree?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:11 PM
STG

The geartrain in the 635/6635HB and 69XX series servos are approximately 30% thicker so are stronger than the 475/5475HB servos. We recommend an 8 lb limit per servo per control surface with the 475 and 5475, but increase that to 12lbs with the 635/6635 and 69XX series servos. MikeMayberry
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...tm.htm#2726160 Mike Mayberry, Hitec RCD Rep http://www.hitecrcd.com

If you don't have 3D throws then the weight can go up.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:20 PM
STG

ORIGINAL: dakster1a
They are doing twice the work on a 9 pound plane (because of their size) than the much smaller ailerons of a 12 pound pattern plane. Agree?
On a pattern plane you will most likely not have the wild 3D throws (18° max not 50° max) so the weight can go up.

I think the biggest danger with the non-metal gear train is bumping on the ground. The heavier the model the bigger the bump and the more throw set-up the higher mechanical disadvantage over the servo. Problem is you don't always know there is something wrong with your gear train until you are in the air.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:23 PM
flipflop

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. I had already seen Hitecs recommendation of 12 lbs max, that won't be a problem with the Funtana. What's got me worried, I was planning on using a small gasser and tuned pipe, ala Dick Hanson and they also say don't use them with gassers I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place with a leaky boat and a broken paddle. I did have a 475HB fail after 5 flights installed on an elevator half of an Ultra Spadstick, but to be fair to Hitec, I do remember bumping that elevator when I was putting the plane in the car that day (no crash, it flew just fine on one elevator)
Old 02-15-2006, 10:27 AM
STG

ORIGINAL: flipflop
and they also say don't use them with gassers

I don't think they are talking about the 1.6 gasser -- That thing is as smoother than any 4 stroke of comparable power.

The more you have your throws cranked up (3D throws--mechanical disadvantage to servo) the more a little bump gets amplified.