Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73

hopefully NO HOT GLUE!!!!!!![:@] gettin' fed up with fire walls, etc fallin' of and apart with these china made arfs!!!!!!! going back to buildin' my own, plans or kits!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:57 AM
BBBlue

HOPEFULLY +1. But IMO building your own kit is an option only if u have the nerve to fly the heck out of it after 3-4 months of benchwork. I personally dont.
I do though respect idividuals that take the plunge into going the kit way but as is he case with QQ and some other quality arfs a little bit of cyano and glasscloth is usually enough to keep trouble away.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
fujiman

bblue, i'v been flying r/c since 1974, u control and scale free flite before that. still crash now and again. just part of the whole r/c thing. never let it bother me for more than few mins. sure, i wish i had not put it in but i just pick myself up, dust myself off and go on to my next project. i build to fly no mater what happens. some of my planes last for years some don't. i love this hobby. i have QQ yak arf and i love the thing. good example of a well built arf, he demanded it so.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
BBBlue

I agree with you. Though I joined the hobby more than 10 yrs after u did my primary Interest had been helicopters. It is only the past 5 yrs that I almost switched to fixed wing and I have built a coule of kits myshelf and I know what u mean. The one was an old Piper Cub from FLAIR (UK based company not longer in buisness as u propably know) and the ATTILA from GP...

Back to present.
Thinking of going the inverted installation with the OS 200 using the optional adapter but at first glance it looks like the stock muffler will not clear the cowl anyway a turn it.
Seems like a Keleo pitts muffler would do the trick.
Does anyone have experience with these products?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
fujiman

careful w/that inverted install. 4stks hydrolock easy in that position. also, as per clarence lee of k&b fame says not to invert 4stks. you can experience flame outs and idle probs. you can side mtn. or maybe at 45 degrees from inverted postion. i personally side mt. all my engs. never have flame outs or idle probs. easy to keep tank on center line, etc. just my 3$ worth
Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 AM
BBBlue

Seems like I will be going the 45 degrees from inverted postion installation and use the stock muffler.
Thank you all for the input.

George Cholevas
Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 PM
fujiman

good choice!!!!!!! have fun and glad to help out.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:22 PM
HoseA
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: BBBlue

Just checked the link u gave Steiny .
Dont know about the others but the 73'' Yak looks definately identical to the one I have. Everything from woodwork to hardware , wing mounting system etc. everything apart from the tailwheel assy & paintwork...
Checking with the European dealers even the price region is very similar to the one mine had when it was available. Hmmm there's something fishy up' here...
There's nothing fishy about this at all! The people at Hi-Fly built QQ's planes for him. When his partner retired and QQ went to work for Hanger 9, Hi-Fly picked up the line. The designs may look identical to the QQ planes but there have been some minor improvements in the design, thus giving a stronger, lighter plane. However, all the replacement parts, such as cowls, canopy, wings, etc will fit the original QQ planes, making Hi-Fly an excellent source for replacement parts.

We, at Southwest RC Engines located in Tyler, Texas, are presently the only authorized dealer in the US for Hi-Fly Models. We can deliver any Hi-Fly arf or part within 5 to 7 days to your address. Check us out at www.swrcengines.com

Joe
Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 PM
steinywi

That is awesome! will be ordering a cowl and wheel panst before spring!

I do not see any 73" listed? Are parts available???

steiny
Old 01-18-2010, 06:26 PM
fujiman

are we able to order replacement part. i have the 69" model.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 PM
HoseA
My Feedback: (33)

Clearly there is genuine interest for replacement parts for the QQ line of planes. However, in order to comply with RCU Forum Rules, please address any questions concerning pricing, availability, etc to me either by PM or directly through my website at www.swrcengines.com.

Joe
Southwest RC Engines

www.swrcengines.com
Old 01-19-2010, 01:42 AM
BBBlue

This is really exciting news as such is the case. Good to know an excellent product is still in production even improved. Keep up the good work and the word will pass on.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
fujiman

diddo!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
tailspins
My Feedback: (7)

that's great news....I need a new canopy for the 73 incher yak. Dropped it and it cracked !
Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 AM
rcpilot_971
My Feedback: (50)

I just got this plane all built with servos but no motor my qustion is I have new saito 150 or I have a new OS fs-200s what motor would be best of the two

Thanks Tim
Old 02-07-2010, 09:07 AM
BBBlue

I have no experience wih the Saito setup so....
The OS setup (especially if it is the pumped version you own) with an apc 18X6W is 100% successfull.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:02 PM
rcpilot_971

its the non pump

Tim
Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 PM
BBBlue

Get yourself a Perry Pump (the oscillating type) and locate the tank in front of the wingtube close to the c.g.
No need o use a HP tank. Use the stock one.
You will be amazed. The plane tracks straight either way with very minor adjustment.
Mine is the pumped one but I have seen the setup above performing faultlessly on a Giant UcanDo.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
rcpilot_971

did you use the stock muffler if do you have any pictures of the motor in the cowl I was thinking of going witha YS and not mess with the os 200 and the perry pump

Thanks Tim

Old 03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
BBBlue

Place the engine so that the cylinder head points at about 130deg (8:00hrs clockwise as seen on the firewal)l and u can use the stock OS muffler. This is a common practice recommendend by Great Planes at their manuals.
No problems with engine - it runs as reliable as ever.

YS is by all means a very good choice. Consider a soft mount if U go that route (weight). YS are powerful beasts that produce increased vibration at both tickover and throtling.
Still the best choice if UR familiar with these motors (I only had the 110S for some time). LIghtweight and powerful but tamperamental IMO.

P.S. Get yourshelf a good tank designed for high pressure systems to get a reliable running YS -possibly by TETTRA from Central Hobbies.
Good luck.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 AM
rcpilot_971

Place the engine so that the cylinder head points at about 130deg (8:00hrs clockwise as seen on the firewal)l and u can use the stock OS muffler. This is a common practice recommendend by Great Planes at their manuals.
No problems with engine - it runs as reliable as ever.

YS is by all means a very good choice. Consider a soft mount if U go that route (weight). YS are powerful beasts that produce increased vibration at both tickover and throtling.
Still the best choice if UR familiar with these motors (I only had the 110S for some time). LIghtweight and powerful but tamperamental IMO.

P.S. Get yourshelf a good tank designed for high pressure systems to get a reliable running YS -possibly by TETTRA from Central Hobbies.
Good luck.
Ok I will take a look at that do you happen to have a picture of your os 200 mounted in the yak with the cowl on. also did you need to use a onboard glow driver or a remote glow driver. how did it ballance out with the os 200 on it

Thanks Tim
Old 03-30-2010, 04:46 AM
BBBlue

Sorry cant upload picts (hopeless)!
NO need for a glow driver. If u feel the need for a remote booster use it for your convenience - I dont (weight).
I balance mine at 178mm behind the leading edge measured at the root of the wing.
A bit tailheavy , I know (slight climb when inverted).

But.
Flies like a dream , effortless hover, perfectly level flat spins, less rudder at KE etc... No landing issues at all. It just flares by itshelf when at landing speed and touchdown. These come out of my own experience with the model. There is plenty of feedback on CG iside enen in this thread.
To balance at 178 I have built a small tray at the 2nd former behind the rudder servo out of scrap CF tube sliced and epoxied between the formers at the bottom on wich I cable tied my battery pack (Hyperion LiFe 2S - Flighteck 5A reg, to be safe). U have to cut the yellow covering undernetah to gain access- no big deal- the new patch is merely visible.
Put it on the GP balancer set at the desired length without the battery pack and u will find the sweet spot with the aid of the batterys weight.
Iknow 1picture is 1000 words but I gave my best effort to explain here.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 AM
tailspins
My Feedback: (7)

I am still looking for a cowl for my 73 qq if any one has one.

I am not sure if balancers were ever mentioned,but after years of constructing CG devices and hang balancers I found the "one stop answer" to all the messing around with home made units. It is costly but if you plan to stay in this hobby ( for me it has been 54 years ) this is the answer.
http://www.ezbalancer.com/
Old 03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
rcpilot_971

Sorry cant upload picts (hopeless)!
NO need for a glow driver. If u feel the need for a remote booster use it for your convenience - I dont (weight).
I balance mine at 178mm behind the leading edge measured at the root of the wing.
A bit tailheavy , I know (slight climb when inverted).

But.
Flies like a dream , effortless hover, perfectly level flat spins, less rudder at KE etc... No landing issues at all. It just flares by itshelf when at landing speed and touchdown. These come out of my own experience with the model. There is plenty of feedback on CG iside enen in this thread.
To balance at 178 I have built a small tray at the 2nd former behind the rudder servo out of scrap CF tube sliced and epoxied between the formers at the bottom on wich I cable tied my battery pack (Hyperion LiFe 2S - Flighteck 5A reg, to be safe). U have to cut the yellow covering undernetah to gain access- no big deal- the new patch is merely visible.
Put it on the GP balancer set at the desired length without the battery pack and u will find the sweet spot with the aid of the batterys weight.
Iknow 1picture is 1000 words but I gave my best effort to explain here.
I think I read that this plane needs nose weight I do have a saito 220 sitting hear 38oz W/out muff Im not sure if it would be to much for this plane I think it was turning 300RPM more than my saito 180 with a APC 18X6 wide

Tim
Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
BBBlue

tailspins
Email ''Lindinger Modellbau'' , very highly regarded firm in Europe based in Austria , you may be lucky. This is where I got mine 3 months ago for about 50,00€ delivered.

rcpilot_971
The plane balances perfectly as per manual. It is only my personal preference to shift the CG rearwards.
Remember wing loading if going the Saito 220 route. By all means keep it lightweight and u will be rewarded with an excellent perfrormer.

Flying Weight makes all the difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.