Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

Old 04-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

I had that same problem with my EF 87" Yak at first... I just pressed the area of the wing what was "htitin" and the fuse side popped out over it. AFter a couple flights it "wore in".
Old 04-14-2006, 05:32 PM
HIGHSTRUT

Which OS 1.60 inverted muffler would be the quieter & best RPM range, Slimline or Bisson?
Old 04-14-2006, 06:04 PM
xurifle06
My Feedback: (10)

Good news! i got the wings in. I pushed down like you said. Im used to smaller electric planes so its a weird feeling pushing that hard. Thanks for the tip.

Rich
Old 04-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Maudib

Good deal Rich...

As I said agter a few flights it'll pop in of it's own accord.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Maudib

You won't get both from the same muffler. I'd choose based on best fit... the inverted pitts will be a little louder but more power and the wraparound side mount pitts would be quieter but less power.

I'd go witht eh inverted installation as I thnk the cowl would need cut out for a side mounted engine.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:58 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

You won't get both from the same muffler. I'd choose based on best fit... the inverted pitts will be a little louder but more power and the wraparound side mount pitts would be quieter but less power.

I'd go witht eh inverted installation as I thnk the cowl would need cut out for a side mounted engine.
For a 3D plane where you need fast spool and are at idle & low settings a lot I would not go inverted. If you do go inverted mount the motor so the glow plug is not straight down-- at least off 10° or so --If you mount it with glow plug straight down you are looking for problems.

Not saying that you cannot get it to run inverted, just saying if it can run good inverted I will run even better (spool faster and cleaner) with glow not straight down.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Maudib

It's not really inverted when in high alpha is it?

I'm not sure I agree that engine attitude has any real bearing when in flight... Once operating, I don't think the engine gets any more fuel dumped directly on the glow plug any more in the fraction of a second with regards to attitude. At least I've not been able to tell any difference.

Any more than I can tell the difference between flying inverted vs. upright... that is, as long as the needles are properly set and the fuel tank location is neutral.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:39 PM
STG

It's not really inverted when in high alpha is it?

I'm not sure I agree that engine attitude has any real bearing when in flight... Once operating, I don't think the engine gets any more fuel dumped directly on the glow plug any more in the fraction of a second with regards to attitude. At least I've not been able to tell any difference.

Any more than I can tell the difference between flying inverted vs. upright... that is, as long as the needles are properly set and the fuel tank location is neutral.

It is only at low settings or at idle -- That is when fuel can pool if your glow plug is straight down. Maybe you haven't been able to tell the difference because you have never had one run real well?--most people don't expect the same spool from a 2 stoke glow as they do from a 4 stroke glow.

This is the kind of spool I expect from my glow motors:

http://home.comcast.net/~ccrsfield/GilesSK18x6.wmv -- OS1.6FX on macs pipe

Old 04-14-2006, 09:33 PM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

i mounted my 160 on the 72" sideways with a perry pump and the bisson muffler i havent tried the slimline but i'm getting 9500 rpm with a menz 18-6 on 10% nitro. it runs like a champ and i did not have to cut the cowl for the head just a small slot for the corner of muffler.

randy
Old 04-14-2006, 10:28 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

I have mine mounted inverted on my 72" with the slimline pitts. I'm getting the same rpm as randy racer is,same prop but using 15%nitro 18% oil content Wildcat fuel.. Flies it beautifully..

Later,
Frank
Old 04-15-2006, 05:56 AM
randy racer

extrflyr, do see much differance in the 10% and the 15% nitro? i can't see much diff with a 160, on smaller engines like a 46 it makes alot of diff.

randy
Old 04-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Maudib

What do you normally idle at (rpm)?

Take that RPM and divide by 60...

That's how many times the fuel gets burned off every second...

I would say you'd have to be pretty rich on the low end to pool enough to cool a plug in 1/20th to 1/30th of a second...

I've had several 1.60's to date. SOme inverted, some side mounted. I've had them in both orientations run great with awesome throttle response, and I've had them also have fuel draw issues.

Our mileage has varied... and I suppose it's good to share both experiences.

Since Randy has been able to mount his side mounted with very little cowl mount then people can have a choice. If I were to use the 1.60 on mine I'd probably go ahead and go side mount... because I happen to already have a side mount pitts and because a small hole allows access toteh glow plug vs. a remote glow head or trying to connect/disconnect a glowstarter upside down...

That is really nice spool up you don't think that tuned pipe has anything to do with it do you?

ORIGINAL: STG
It is only at low settings or at idle -- That is when fuel can pool if your glow plug is straight down. Maybe you haven't been able to tell the difference because you have never had one run real well?--most people don't expect the same spool from a 2 stoke glow as they do from a 4 stroke glow.

This is the kind of spool I expect from my glow motors:

http://home.comcast.net/~ccrsfield/GilesSK18x6.wmv -- OS1.6FX on macs pipe

Old 04-15-2006, 08:17 AM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: randy racer

extrflyr, do see much differance in the 10% and the 15% nitro? i can't see much diff with a 160, on smaller engines like a 46 it makes alot of diff.

randy
Randy, I always used 15% nitro so I don't really know...Where I shop it's pretty much the same price,so I go with the 15%.

Later,
Frank
Old 04-15-2006, 08:34 AM
HIGHSTRUT

The maximum noise level at my club field is 97DB at nine feet. I've decided to order and mount the Slimline inverted Pitts muffler, and hope I can meet these noise specs. with 15% nitro & the proper prop. Any comments would be appreciated.
Bob
Old 04-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Maudib

That should be a good setup... I'd suggest an APC 18x6W... powerful prop on this plane...
Old 04-15-2006, 09:35 AM
xtraflyr

I agree with the APC. I also used a Bolly wood 18x6 with little better spool up then the APC. But both will be great for the 160..

Frank
Old 04-15-2006, 10:08 AM
randy racer

try the menz 18-6, it spools faster than the bolly and on this set up pulls alot better. i tried several props on mine before i settled on the menz. on another plane running the 160 with header and mouse can pipe the menz rips to much and a xoir or bolly is better but the pitts set up doesn't have as much power. just give it a try i think you will like it you can get them fron desert aircraft for around 16 bucks.

randy
Old 04-15-2006, 10:41 AM
STG

I would say you'd have to be pretty rich on the low end to pool enough to cool a plug in 1/20th to 1/30th of a second...

I've had several 1.60's to date. SOme inverted, some side mounted. I've had them in both orientations run great with awesome throttle response, and I've had them also have fuel draw issues.

That is really nice spool up you don't think that tuned pipe has anything to do with it do you?
I tested the motor with no muffler(open face), bisson pitts, OMP sport pipe, and Macs pipe. With everything set right and the right prop(2.5oz 18x6 Skorepa) spool was great will all. With the heavy 4.7oz APC 18x6w the best spool was with the OMP sport pipe, although it gave no top end performance(over open face and 150 rpm over bison pitts) and was very very loud (epecially at low throttle settings--has a rap to it like a dirt bike).

There are many people that will have difficulties getting the motor set up correctly (instantaneous spool) with a fuel system (pumped or pressurized/regulated). They will have even more problems if they install the motor with the glow plug straight down. With straight inverted mounting (of glow plug, not motor-- I think all 4 stokes have offset glow plugs for inverted mounting), in most cases if you lean the low end so that the mixture is perfect for extended idle then it will be too lean for rapid throttle closings and openings (without a pause at the closed setting).

Old 04-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Maudib

Good info... thanks.

ORIGINAL: STG

I tested the motor with no muffler(open face), bisson pitts, OMP sport pipe, and Macs pipe. With everything set right and the right prop(2.5oz 18x6 Skorepa) spool was great will all. With the heavy 4.7oz APC 18x6w the best spool was with the OMP sport pipe, although it gave no top end performance(over open face and 150 rpm over bison pitts) and was very very loud (epecially at low throttle settings--has a rap to it like a dirt bike).

There are many people that will have difficulties getting the motor set up correctly (instantaneous spool) with a fuel system (pumped or pressurized/regulated). They will have even more problems if they install the motor with the glow plug straight down. With straight inverted mounting (of glow plug, not motor-- I think all 4 stokes have offset glow plugs for inverted mounting), in most cases if you lean the low end so that the mixture is perfect for extended idle then it will be too lean for rapid throttle closings and openings (without a pause at the closed setting).

Old 04-15-2006, 03:42 PM
akschu
My Feedback: (5)

Wouldn't mounting the engine on the side cause you to add weight to make it balance side to side?
Old 04-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Maudib

To some degree, but often you can offset it by placing the receiver/battery/switch on the opposite side
Old 04-15-2006, 05:08 PM
STG

ORIGINAL: akschu
Wouldn't mounting the engine on the side cause you to add weight to make it balance side to side?
I have found that it is differnt on every plane. Sometimes the wings are not exactly the same weight. I have had to add weight to the end of a wing (E.F. Yak) in order to get it to ballance correctly after an inverted mount (YS110). If you have to add something it should not be much at a wing tip.

If you want to go inverted use a side mount inverted muffler and mount the motor off at 15-20° (it is easier to get to your glow plug this way anyways) then use exhaust deflectors (extensions on the end of the muffler--these are nice for a clean plane anyways) that have a bend in them to divert the exhaust straight down.

I am picky about the way my 2 stoke motors run. I expect typical 4 stroke spool from my 2 stoke motors. A lot of people are under the false impression that 2 strokes do not have snappy repose because they lack torque. This is not true. The problem is that they are much more sensitive to the correct fuel metering and most of the time it is not right. If you doubt what I say, try adjusting your high speed needle only for spool. You will find that with the right high speed needle setting that the 2 stoke becomes snappy.(when you do this do not hold it wide open for long because you will likely fry your motor).
Old 04-15-2006, 08:28 PM
HIGHSTRUT

Thank you for the info everyone, I appreciate it.
Bob
Old 04-18-2006, 07:38 AM
EMVIN

I just installed my engine (saito 220) and it did not come out perfect. I'm a little concerned. The engine shaft / center line is slightly off about 2.5 -3 MM. I'm not sure if this will have any adverse affect The center line is to the left if you were standing at the rear of the plane facing foward and the engine is inverted... Can anyone tell me about this....I'm lacking of knowledge in this area.

A few other things to look out for: the elevator and throttle servo holes are to tight and need to be opened up a bit, and if the elevator is at full up deflection the rudder pull pull arm is blocked. I may need to do some modifying so it will clear.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:42 PM
HIGHSTRUT

The manuel shows the rudder hardware package to have 4 hinges, and there are 3 hinges in the package, and I found 3 slots on the rudder. I'm sure this is sufficient for a strong hinge assembly. Also the wing root cutout on both sides of the fuselage is a 1/4" longer than the wing chord leaving a hole in that area, I'll need to cover it somehow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.