Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Funtana 90 Extended Cowl

F90 Owners,

I have been talking to Fiberglass Specialties Inc. about an extended cowl for the F90 for all the big engines (YS 120/140's, OS 160, Saito 120/150/180 even a 220) we are putting in there. I was not happy with the 3/4" gap between the cowl and spinner, and see this as a better alternative than cutting down the engine box, they will build it if they see some interest, so drop Craig an email if you have interest.

http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/

sales@fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com

Mac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Funtana 90 Extended Cowl

Bump! been searching for a Cowl for my Funtana 90S for a while now and found this post.
    alot a good stuff on that site, and lists the Cowl for Funtana 90s as well as the extended one.
    I hope they still making them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow..... I posted that forever ago..... I actually took my YS140 out of my funtana it was too much engine (did I just say that?). Dropped in a YS110.

Mac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After the OS 120 Surpass threw a rod, I bolted a YS 140 in there, same thing, too much torque everywhere. Made the plane crab all over the place and was ill handling all around,even though weight was not really gained..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitro - yep..... i bought and put in the 140 cuz the 110 was backordered forever and the weight really wasnt that much, 4 oz maybe?? i even ended up buying longer gear to keep the 18" prop the 140 liked off the ground, too much prop and the wimpy F90 fuse tore out the LG twice before i got enough wood/epoxy in there to hold it then i just said enough and pulled it. recently saw were someone said a ys 140 is like a "normal" 180 4s..... i'd say TRUE. now i need a new air frame, any suggestions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In theory it's a nice idea to extend the firewall, but when I built my S90 Funtana, it was mandatory to reinforce the engine box anyway by use of dowels and/or glassing. It was really no big deal to draw a line around the box 3/4" in back of the original surface and cut it off with a saber saw. Then transfer the blind nut positions to a good piece of 1/4" plywood, and glue the new firewall on and pin/glass it in.

So I'm wondering if they improved the firewall joint in the new kits? (do they need a lot of reinforcement to hold up to the bigger motors?)

I have a Saito 180 in my older model. When I cut the firewall off the front (years ago, I remember), the sides all simply fell apart due to lack of glue in remaining joints.
    Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.