Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 01:09 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

What's your weight with that equipment?

ORIGINAL: Pashka_22

RVM,

I have a few other 3D planes (Showtime 50, Nitro Models Yak 52) that are in the same size class as Fliton Edge 540 and Fliton is by far the best flying plane.
I have Saito 1.00 and HS-475 on ailerons and elevators, 645 on Rudder. It flies very light and graceful. I simply enjoy flying it.

Pashka.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Pashka_22

Sorry, I have never weighted it and I don't even have scales.
But, the way it flies – I am not really concerned about its weight.

Pashka
Old 06-23-2007, 01:42 PM
RVM

Got 'cha.

ORIGINAL: Pashka_22

Sorry, I have never weighted it and I don't even have scales.
But, the way it flies – I am not really concerned about its weight.

Pashka
Old 06-26-2007, 01:08 AM
RVM

How does the hatch latch down, or does Fliton leave that up to you ala the Extra?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:15 PM
RenoSportFlyer
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: RVM

How does the hatch latch down, or does Fliton leave that up to you ala the Extra?
Two nylon bolts through the fuse into blind nuts on the hatch.

I solved the rubber band problem by putting some 5min epoxy on the wing tube...

Steve
Old 06-26-2007, 11:44 PM
RVM

Who has flown both this and the Fliton Extra 330? How do they compare in the air? What about in convenience (easy access inside, easy set up, etc.)? Overall, which is the best? The Edge has a lot fewer squares but seems to fly just as well in the videos, which is surprising...

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:11 PM
casey g

i had the edge and now i have the inspire and i think the inspire is the best plane

i have not flown the extra but the inspire is amazing

i sugest u think about the inspire 60
Old 07-07-2007, 08:55 PM
xracer1117

just got an edge and reading some of the post, ( so mant different servos) what is the best for the money and are 2 elev. sevos better? if so where do they go? have a pic of any done like this,
also fire wall build up, inside out side? what should i use? i have flown alot of 3D planes but have always bought them flight ready, except for my electris, going with a saito 91 .

needs some input, thanks

xracer
Old 07-07-2007, 11:59 PM
RVM

I've got an Edge waiting in CA for me. I should have it in a month and I'll do a build thread on it.

Right now, it's looking like I'll be using this on it:

Saito 1.00 with TurboHeader muffler and an Iron Bay regulator
5x Hitec 5245 servos, one on each surface.
One Hitec HS81 for the throttle.
JR 790 rx
I talked to Fliton and they are including the ball-bearing hardware that was originally adverised on both the Edge and the Extra. We'll see how those come out, but for now, except for using dual elevator servos and Hangar 9 turnbuckles for pushrods, I intend to use the stock hardware.
Fromeco 2600mah LiIon
Fromeco Pinflag Badger Pin
Fromeco Regulator
I'll probably get some of the coated kevlar cable from DHS and use that for the rudder pull-pull set up.

I hope to keep the weight around 6lbs even. Anyone think that should work with this set up?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 PM
jnaarnold
My Feedback: (4)

Just picked mine up today...WOW!!!! Super great quality. I am sure this will be one of many Fliton aircraft!! I am already selling my Parkzone Spitfire and my brushless Stryker.....Probably get a mini Extra 260( Fliton of course) and then stay with my glow stuff!!! I am going to put an Irvine .53 in her. I have one in my Somethin' Extra and one in a World Models Corsair(also for sale)... Not looking to 3D, just some scale aerobatics. Great thread guys, thanks for all the good info.
John
Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 PM
xracer1117

hey Johnny, where do you fly? i see you are close, i fly at w s r c and hobby park in winston alittle. my edge is almost finished, all i have left is the elevator rods, save the worst for last, lol

good luck with yours

xracer
Old 07-21-2007, 09:25 PM
jnaarnold
My Feedback: (4)

I am in Archdale....I have a strip behind my house I fly off of. I have been trying to keep the grass 'groomed' for almost two years. it is about 300 feet by about 40 feet. Suits my needs. I won't fly my warbirds off it though. I guess I am too cheap to join the flying club...Central Carolina R/C, it's only 3 miles from my house....it's $90.00 a year though, and with five kids...well..you know the rest of the story. Anyway, back to the edge. I worked on it most of the day. Pretty straight build I guess. I do have a couple of minor complaints though:
1. The gear didn't line up with the holes.
2. Bolts for the rudder horns are too short.

I did mess up on the tail gear. I tried to drop some ca glue in the screw holes and it stuck the slotted piece on the rudder to the rudder--now I don't have as much throw, I'll have to work on that one a little. My Edge is weighing in at 4lbs 14 ounces--dry. That's lighter than my Something Extra..it weighed 5 lbs 14 ounces. Now if I can get the Edge to balance!! I am going to fly with an Irvine .53 and a pitts muffler....that combo hovers my SE nice, just not a lot of punch out power...
Well, should be flyable by mid of next week....I have to work on those silly wheel pants.....
J
Old 07-21-2007, 11:39 PM
xracer1117

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A GREAT PLACE TO FLY, I FLY SMALL PLANES IN MY BACK YARD, HAVE ABOUT 5 ACRES TO FLY OVER, ( NOT ALL MINE) YEAH THE BOLTS ARE TO SHORT, AND HARDWARE KINDA SUCKS TOO, AS FOR THE GEAR, IM SURE YOU CHECK TO SEE IF YOU HAD IN BACKWARDS OR NOT..... JUST FINISHED MINE UP TONIGHT, WORKED ON IT FOR 6 HRS TODAY.
I TRIED TO USE THAT WOOD PUSH ROD SET BUT I COULDNT GET IT TO WORK RIGHT, AND DIDNT LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKED ANYWAY, I USED TWO SERVOS AT THE TAIL HS 225BB STRONG AND LIGHT, MINE IS 5 LBS AND 14 OZ DRIE, GOOD LUCK ON THE C G WITH YOUR LIGHT ENGINE, I HAVE THE SAITO .91 AND STILL NEED TO ADD ALITTLE TO THE NOSE, IF I GET MY NERVE UP I MIGHT EVEN TRY TO FLY TOMORROW

OH YEAH I THINK THE WHEELS ARE WAY TO SMALL FOR THIS PLANE , IF TAKING OFF IN GRASS, WHEEL PANTS ARE STAYING OFF MINE. GOOD LUCK!

XRACER
Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 PM
xracer1117

hey guys, i had the maiden on the edge today, flew awsome, knife edge was solid and true, and hover was like you hung a picture on the wall!
the harriers could be alittle better, it has some wing rock to it, im going to try the 15x4 prop see if it helps alittle .

maiden set up was,
c g at 4 inches
saito 91'
14x6 prop
all the throw i can get on rudder
and all the mechanical throw on elev. and ailer. and radio set at 100% throw on high rate

any thoughts on the wing rock let me know/......

xracer
Old 07-25-2007, 08:52 PM
xracer1117

how do you post pics on here?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:13 PM
RVM

What kind of control horns is everyone using? I used Robart super ball links on my Fliton Extra, and although Fliton sent me the "good" hardware package with my Edge, I still think I'd prefer some other type of control horn. I don't like how you cannot really get the horn pivot point directly in line with the hingeline of the control surface using the stock horns.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:45 PM
huckinstix

fellas, thanks for all the input on here which helped me pull the trigger. FYI, smokin' clearance deal on the edge freestyle for $179.99. www.flitonstore.com
Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 PM
RVM

Anyone found a 10oz - 12oz fuel tank that will fit over the wingtube? I want to put the tank on the CG...
Old 08-22-2007, 05:04 AM
RVM

What kind of throw are you guys getting on the rudder and down elevator? I am finding that the rudder horns get in the way of the elevator halves when they are deflected down. Also, the rudder looks like it could still move a little bit more. The horns on the rudder are about 1/2" longer on either side than either arm from the servo (DuBro HD rudder horn, DuBro Long HD Servo arms; 2.5" wide on the rudder and the servo arm is 2"). I'd have to cut down the nuts on the control horn to get them any shorter. Should I go with a longer servo arm instead?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:00 PM
tjfdownsouth

Be careful with this, I think it caused me to crash mine. I noticed that these were touching on full rates but did not think much of it and after flying around for about 10 minutes i decided to cut up on 3d throws. I tried a snap with full throws and it never came back out until it pancaked onto the ground. Upon checking it later i seen that if if gave full down and full rudder the rudder would pin the elevators in the down position.

I fixed it by moving the rudder horns as low as possible and reduced the rudder throw a little. It still has plenty of authority and does not bind.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 PM
RVM

Cool thanks!

ORIGINAL: tjfdownsouth

Be careful with this, I think it caused me to crash mine. I noticed that these were touching on full rates but did not think much of it and after flying around for about 10 minutes i decided to cut up on 3d throws. I tried a snap with full throws and it never came back out until it pancaked onto the ground. Upon checking it later i seen that if if gave full down and full rudder the rudder would pin the elevators in the down position.

I fixed it by moving the rudder horns as low as possible and reduced the rudder throw a little. It still has plenty of authority and does not bind.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:36 AM
harryboe

Finished mine last weekend

I fitted YS91AC engine (bit of overkill but the engine was laying around for about 10 years now). This engine does perfectly fit under the cowling (will post some pics soon)

The Edge ended up with 3kg (6 lb 10 oz) and a CG of 95mm (3 3/4 inches) with a small lipo on the servo mount below the canopy.

Setup:

2 Hitec HS-5245MG on ailerons
2 Hitec HS-85MG on elevator
1 Futaba S3050 on rudder
1 Hitect HS-81 on throttle

Flying:

Unfortunately not to much to report yet. I had two very short flight with the a new engine. Maybe i set my idle a bit to low, that's why a had two times a dead stick after less then 3 min. The second landing was a bit hard with wind from behind without engine power .. result i de-laminated one of the landing gears!
Anyhow: What i can say so far, there is plenty of power (surprise) you can heavily accelerate the plane on verticals (cool - all this with running the engine very very rich) and the plane seams to handle the power quite well (no tendency to roll or do something unexpected).
Have not yet tried any 3D stuff but i let you know when i do so (once i got the skills for it ;-)

/h
Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 PM
victorzamora

Okay, I've been reading this thread for months...but I've always considered it to be out of my price range. Not long ago, I moved to the USA from El Salvador and was able to sell everything except for my Tx and 1 flight-pack. I ordered the Edge yesterday, and a Saito 100 to go along with it. It's gonna be my first 4-stroke, which I'm really excited about. I bought a Futaba S3010 for the Rudder, and I have 4 cheap & simple S3004's for ailerons, throttle and elevator. I'm going to buy the Hangar9 Spitfire MkII soon, so if those servo's aren't enough....I could use the 3004's on it. Will I need more Oomph? What options (cheap) do I have? Is sticking a 6V battery an alternative to buying several expensive servos?

Another question is, does a Spinner come in the ARF package? If so, will it stand up to the Saito 100?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
victorzamora

Okay, I've been reading this thread for months...but I've always considered it to be out of my price range. Not long ago, I moved to the USA from El Salvador and was able to sell everything except for my Tx and 1 flight-pack. I ordered the Edge yesterday, and a Saito 100 to go along with it. It's gonna be my first 4-stroke, which I'm really excited about. I bought a Futaba S3010 for the Rudder, and I have 4 cheap & simple S3004's for ailerons, throttle and elevator. I'm going to buy the Hangar9 Spitfire MkII soon, so if those servo's aren't enough....I could use the 3004's on it. Will I need more Oomph? What options (cheap) do I have? Is sticking a 6V battery an alternative to buying several expensive servos?

Another question is, does a Spinner come in the ARF package? If so, will it stand up to the Saito 100?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 AM
RVM

No spinner comes with the plane. You'll need a 2.25" spinner.

Hummm, the 3004s should be ok. I'm using Hitec 5245s on 6v all around on mine, with a HS81 on the throttle.

I've got the Saito 100 on mine and hopefully will have the plane finished soon!

Congrats on getting the plane! I know what it is like to be on a budget. I can't get my Edge finished right now due to financial concerns. Soon though, soon!

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.