Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flying 3D 101

I would like to learn 3D flying and have tried a few maneuvers with some success, however I wanted to know some basics.

First of all I am wondering if there are programming mixes that are used in 3D?

Can you recommend a progression of maneuvers to learn, easy to more difficult?

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flying 3D 101

wat can u already do? it depends on ur current skill leval. i did rolling circles as one of my first 3d moves.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can anyone tell me how to do a blender?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i am sure there are better sites out there but mr austin has some tips on his site
    Clicky
    !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, that site really helps

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

there's a few tutorials on the teamflyingcirkus.com video page, as long as you're registered
    true scotsmen fly free under their kilt

h9 260 dl50
    ef edge profile irv. 53
    rcfactory clik hacker a10-15s
    crescent bullet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the suggestions. This has been helpful. I am a near advanced RCer, but a Novice a aerobatics. I have built and recently taken on the maiden flight a Giles 202. I can tell its a great plane. I am comfortable doing regular manuevers, loops, rolls, slow rolls, inverted, Immelmann turns, etc., but still experimenting on knife edge and cannot figure out how to do a tail slide.

I am a full scale pilot and used to fly aerobatics in a Citabria, but doing it in RC is a bit different.

Keep the suggestions rolling, perhaps somthing will work for me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I say the best thing to practice would be to do slow rolls. It may sound very basic but if u can get a hang of that really well it will increase your learning a good bit for 3d.

This will get you used to the transitions from horizontal to knife edge and maintaining the same altitude. The slower u can get the the better. I find that most of 3D revolves around slow rolls. Harriers are pretty much the same thing except it is during a stall but the same physics apply.

Whether your transitioning from inverted harrier to normal positions harrier again slow rolls are used to maintain altitude. Transitioning from inverted flat spin to right side up it applies also.

Getting the hang of this will keep you up in air and will be able to keep you from loosing control if u get into trouble. I find that if I mess up during a maneuver I can always roll back over to right side up easily and fly off to get reoriented with plane.

Good luck!
    Revver Brother #79

www.youtube.com/user/Gig540?feature=mhw5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds good to me. Slow rolls its then.

What about the second part of my question concerning programming/mixing? Any programming techniques used for maneuvers?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

spoilers linked to the elevator help stall the wing if you have that problem. i've got it on the trailer switch so i can reach it without taking my fingers off the TX.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When would you use that? How much spoiler is needed/elevator input?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I need the real 101 about 3D flying, I am an experienced R/C pilot with many years on the sticks, I have seen adds for Gyros and want to know if these are for planes or strictly rotor wing use. I have flown 3D on a simulator that my brother has and it has a GYRO switch and have no problem like that< in the field however i find it tough! I have the hanger 9 Twist 40 and 150, also just added the Hanger 9 Tango to the line up (that plane is a handfull!) if somebody could just give me a starting point on equipment to use it would save allot of balsa wood. Thank's.

BecketTanner@yahoo.com

Fly it like it ain't your's!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a sticky. Personally I wouldn't put a gyro in anything but a heli. If you're wanting to learn, get a proflie. Preferably a MOJO or OMP Edge. Yes they're not very appealing to the eye, but they 3d awsome. Sooner or later you're gonna tear somthin up.
    PRO BRO #2567

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: winglift

Thanks for the suggestions. This has been helpful. I am a near advanced RCer, but a Novice a aerobatics. I have built and recently taken on the maiden flight a Giles 202. I can tell its a great plane. I am comfortable doing regular manuevers, loops, rolls, slow rolls, inverted, Immelmann turns, etc., but still experimenting on knife edge and cannot figure out how to do a tail slide.

I am a full scale pilot and used to fly aerobatics in a Citabria, but doing it in RC is a bit different.

Keep the suggestions rolling, perhaps somthing will work for me.

Unless you got one of the BIG Giles (at least 50cc) you are very limited by your plane for 3D.
    To 3D you need a plane that is very light and has a large wing and oversized controls.
    It needs to fly very slow and not stall out on the wing or tail, while still being responsive on the controls even in post stall..which is 3D. Hovering and blenders are not really a 3D move. Harrier rolls, Elevators, waterfalls and many other cool slow stalled moves are.
    The giles is quick and precise in the smaller versions, and simply will not be much use as an entry 3D ship.

Not sure on what motor you have, more input can be made once we know.

Typically a 3D plane is set up with dual rates and your controls must be able to swing at least 35-40 degrees either way, sometimes more.

Then you need to add expo to your surfaces, usually 60-80% on high rates to make it managable and not over responsive.

A rear CG is ideal

The propellor choice makes a huge difference. If you are using a 15x8 on a sport plane,the same motor may need a 16x6 or 17x5 to perform and give good thrust and propwash when the plane is down low and slow on a 3D plane.

Mixing and set up comes after your plane is chosen and the above have been adressed.

On the tail slide.. make sure you enter it vertical, be low enough that you can see the plane well, but high enough to recover from a botched move.

Once the plane is slowing to a stop, feed power smoothly just less than it needs to hover. When she slides back, add a bit more power, just enough so it wont climb upward and correct the slide as best possible with quick tail inputs. A smaller giles will tailslide quite well with practice. Try different props, they make a big diff.

Good luck and enjoy the holidays!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here is an old vid, good combination of high speed thrills and some low speed tumbles and a great tailslide
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5xHuDIsaro&NR=1

well, before you learn 3D and some other fun things with your airplane, i think you(we) need to learn all about trim our airplanes and make them fly good, in this case, that will make our learning curve much more faster and easier than having a crazy airplane making weird things, hope this files helps you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    OMP Extra 300 100cc - DLE111
    AW Extra 300 50cc - DLE55
    PM Sbach 300 30cc - DLE30 V2
    3DHS Extra 47\"
    Futaba 12z

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Amen to all of the above
    esp. nitro wing
    merry x'mas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Head over to the other RC Forum "RC Groups dot com" and search for BoneDocs 3D Clinic. Josh is Dang good and has a bunch of videos of various 3D maneuvers with his transmitter overlayed onto the screen so you can see his stick movements for each of the 3d maneuvers.

P.S. Some of these are available on YouTube and here is one link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJZeir6n0U8
    Spektrum DX8i, DA DLE SuperTigre OS FOX Saito Enya Jett TT: John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitro,.... winglift's post is 3 years old. The one asking was flyingfool. Never the less good info.
    PRO BRO #2567

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitro Wing I thought hovering was a 3D move? I am old flying since 1992 they called 3D hoverbatics then. Benders were called a parachute and I have no idea why it is in the 3D field as it is not flying stalled on the prop., anyways I love to hover and torque roll even if its not 3D I dont care lol... Here is a video check my others out as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtArc...eature=channel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Many planes can hover, even trainers. I just dont consider it much of a 3D move because of that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heck, a trainer can even do high alpha stuff like rolling harriers if it is set up for it and you're good enough. Anything done with the wing stalled is normally considered 3D. I would think hovering is definitely stalled wings and just because a trainer can do it doesn't make it any less 3D.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess so. I am, like many others, just tired of the endless hovering, although in can be difficult, it becomes a little stale.
    I guess its probably the most common trick that everyone wants to learn. I know a few fliers that are so much into hovering that they never aquired the skills to perform anythings else well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea, I got caught up in that hovering thing at first but I have moved on now. Getting pretty good at rollers, got the upright harrier down, and working some on the inverted harriers. Finally got the knife edge spin into an inverted flat spin down too.

Have Wonderful New Year Flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you need the right tools....

we have a saying..... "Foamies and Forties".....

get a DW Foamie... like the 38" Yak.... better yet... buy two of'em cuz they are a hoot to fly and you will take risks.....

other then foamies, the bigger the better......

some stuff here on my video page..... http://www.giantcircus.com/VIDEO_PAGE.htm

a 2 meter electric at about 11 - 12 pounds is pretty good too.....

the Great Planes Reactor with a 50cc motor would be another good plane..... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUSE0&P=7
    LOOKING FOR ENGINEERING WORK ON UAV'S?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast