Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Which engine for a Funtana S from Hangar 9

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Which engine for a Funtana S from Hangar 9

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Dam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which engine for a Funtana S from Hangar 9

Hey Gus! I should have known I would bump into you on a Funtana thread!! My Funtana would do awesome flat spins, perfectly flat, spinning around the canopy while slowly descending for what seemed like forever. I think it may have been the 65 degrees of throw, also a rearward CG would help. In fact just thinking of it makes me want to put it back together and fly it again!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Gus155

If i come to the Vlei over the week end will shove the battery as far back as possible and crank the elevator throw up as far as possible. got thos 1 1/2 in arms on the servos to do it.

Cheers,

Gus
Old 05-12-2006, 10:32 AM
tramsay

Thanks Mike!...I have my stuff on order. I can't wait to get this bird in the air.

Cheers!
~Tip
Old 05-12-2006, 09:50 PM
resedaguy818

I have heard a lot of negitive things around the field and from friends about saito engines.
I am very leery about buying one, even though Everybody here seems to be highly recomending them.
how is everybodys expericence with saitos?

any thoughts on the OS fs-70 surpass II.. I know its 4 oz heavier.... (20.65 oz)
or the magnum xl-70 (21 oz)

How much difference do the few extra oz really make for a beginner 3d pilot?

Should I ignore my flying buddies and get a saito?
Old 05-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

resedaguy818,
It's not just the weight difference between the OS 70 and Saito .82, the OS makes 1.1hp and the Saito 1.5hp. That's 27% difference. Remember, you won't be a beginner for ever.

Yes. Or possibly a YS .63.

Phillip

Old 05-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Koenieboy

@ iflynething
It took me about 30 in to actually figure out. You can e-mail me or message me here on RCU and I can show you how. I have a digital camera so I could send you some pictures of you wanted.
That would be nice!!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:33 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: resedaguy818

I have heard a lot of negitive things around the field and from friends about saito engines.
I am very leery about buying one, even though Everybody here seems to be highly recomending them.
how is everybodys expericence with saitos?
I've got two Saitos and they're *great* motors. Very light, heaps of power and extremely well behaved. They're in a different class to your "average" 4-stroke when it comes to power/weight ratios. The only possible downside is that (mainly because of their light weight) some models do vibrate a bit more than their heavier OS/Magnum/ASP counterparts.

any thoughts on the OS fs-70 surpass II.. I know its 4 oz heavier.... (20.65 oz)
or the magnum xl-70 (21 oz)

The Saito 82 is *much* more powerful than the 70-sized OS/Magnum engines and in a 3D plane you'll love that extra power.

The OS will be "okay" but the Saito will be *great*. Your choice -- either would work.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:22 PM
deathspiral

I have the Funtana 40 with the Magnum 9i 4 stroke. Balanced perfect with battery just ahead of Rx. Pain changing out those blind nuts and I also fiberglassed the inside of the firewall for extra strengh. Seems like the 91 is right in the middle for good 3D power. It's not overwhelming at all. How you'd fly with with a .40 or .46 is beyond me--you'd have to add 8 ounces of lead just to get it to balance. It is a tip-stalling beast, however. Reminds me of my Destiny hotliner. Once you break lift, it's going its own way for a turn or two, regardless of power and it do tip stall violently.
Recenty, I managed to get mine in a flat spin (accidently) about 100 feet off the deck recovering inverted from a hover, dropping the tail through the nose forward. Sucker spun three times perfect and that wing wasn't gonna fly no matter what I did. Jumping on the power picked up the speed of the spin slowing it when it hit the tall grass out in the field. Knocked off the gear and those pretty little wheel pants cut two holes in the freakin wing, otherwise, I would have been flying again in 5 minutes after a quick glue job on the gear. Fun, but not as much fun as my old Twist, that could be wrung out five feet above the ground and always seemed to recover with a foot to spare.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

ORIGINAL: deathspiral

It is a tip-stalling beast, however. Reminds me of my Destiny hotliner. Once you break lift, it's going its own way for a turn or two, regardless of power and it do tip stall violently.
Recenty, I managed to get mine in a flat spin (accidently) about 100 feet off the deck recovering inverted from a hover, dropping the tail through the nose forward. Sucker spun three times perfect and that wing wasn't gonna fly no matter what I did. Jumping on the power picked up the speed of the spin slowing it when it hit the tall grass out in the field. Knocked off the gear and those pretty little wheel pants cut two holes in the freakin wing, otherwise, I would have been flying again in 5 minutes after a quick glue job on the gear. Fun, but not as much fun as my old Twist, that could be wrung out five feet above the ground and always seemed to recover with a foot to spare.
I crashed my F40 last weekend due to a tipstall. I've only been flying it for six weeks and it has "nipped at my heels" 5 or 6 times. This time it bit me! Previously I always had enough altitude to get on the gas and fly it out but I was only at about 25' high and did a "lawn dart". The good news is that all of the components are OK. All I need is a fusalage and cowling which will cost $92 plus shipping. I'm trying to decide if I should move on to another plane that can handle more radical 3d moves. Possibly a profile plane like the Mojo or OMP Katana V2.
Phillip
Old 05-15-2006, 09:55 PM
resedaguy818

This is a little off the topic, but what size arms are you guys using on your servo's.
I had put some on, but dosen't look like I am getting enough throw from all my control surfaces.

the book recommeds some JR servo arms, but I'm looking for the size since I have Hitec servos.

I think I am going to follow the advice and get a saito 82 BTW.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:22 PM
deathspiral

I'm using standard size control arms and they're okay--could be a bit longer. I did strip out the outside gear on the elevator servo. I think that was a combo of torque and slim from motor exhuast. It kept flying, just wanted to wall all the way down to the deck. Got in on the runway safe that time. Anyway, for the next servo, I freakin CA'd the horn on. It's never coming off and can't slip! Wouldn't be a bad idea to cut the elevator rod and add another elevator servo to the other side of the fuse if you really smack it around in the air.

Profile! Yes! I'm having the same thoughts. OMP or something like that. I've been looking for a 40-70 sized one for my magnum 70, but damn, I can't find one where the wing is easily removable. Hanger 9's new .36 Tribute looks like it has a great way to remove wing by taking off the top of the profile fuse. The first major player who comes up with a $99.00 ARF profile for .49-1.00 that has a removeable wing--they're gonna kick butt.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 PM
deathspiral

BTW: That new Funtana X 50 looks fantastic. Those SFG's should cut down on the tipstalling. Mine already KE's real good. Just had to learn to stay awake and fly it during the KE. All in all, a better all arounder than 3D. But, if you have one plane in your budget, hard to go wrong.
One more grip. If you're hovering with the sun in front of you, the yellow bottom shines through the white Ultracote on the top of the wing making you think it's suddenly torque rolled on you. Annoying...
Old 05-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

The Mojo 40 is supposed to be a good plane.
http://billyhellrc.com/mojo.html

I also like the OMP Katana V2 40 size. By the way, it does have removable wings.
http://ohiomodelplanes.com/48katanaarf/

Right now I plan on having only one fuel plane and I'm not sure if I want it to be a profile. I fly a Cermark Lil' Banshee (profile) electric and really like the way it flys but they are ugly. Another contender could be a Fliton Extra 330.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Koenieboy

I've had the thought that the saito .100 would be overkill. Would the funtana not breake apart if you fly full throttle??

I'm just wondering...
Old 05-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Jimmy Hoffa

ORIGINAL: Koenieboy

I've had the thought that the saito .100 would be overkill. Would the funtana not breake apart if you fly full throttle??
I've heard of that happening. IMHO, anyone trying to get speed out of a Funtana is flying the wrong plane.
Phillip
Old 06-24-2006, 08:16 PM
TJ Moran

Just got the box with the FuntanaS 40 a couple of days ago. Once again I am amazed at what you can buy in the ARFs today. Hangar 9 seems to do a great job, along with all the rest. Mines gonna get a YS 110FZ and an APC 16.5 X 5 Wide prop. Yeah, yeah, I know about the engine weight issue, but I measured the static thrust (which is all I am interested in) with this combo on an Ultra Stick 60 on floats and got 11.5 pounds. I'll post when I get it done and maidened.

TJ
Old 06-24-2006, 09:48 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

H9 recommends undersize in engines
The reason should be obvious to any flyer with some experience--
the new guy typically tries to see what full throttle will do and promptly destroys the model
ditto on the radio setup - the new guy piuts in max throws -typically badly done with no centering forces - this plus any real power = exploded model
I fly my Funtana 90 on a 1.6 piped gasser . it will go like hell in any direction.
but that is NOT how it is flown.
power is applied as needed
only.