Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 148 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Funtana X100

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Funtana X100

Has Anyone seen the Funtana X100 yet? they say on Hangar 9 website it is bigger and better than other Funtanas, but it appears to be a Funtana S60 size with SFG's on it. Looks really sharp in any case and I am considering Ordering it. I have a new OS 160 2 stroke that needs an airframe but am worried this might be too much for the X100.. any suggestions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Funtana X100

from Horizon

Item coming soon. Due Early June, 2006
    Extreme Flight RC tech support
    IMAC Vice President|IMAC Sequence Committee|IMAC National Judging Instructor|Team Futaba|Extreme Flight R/C|2014 IMAC World Championships Contest Director

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Apparently it has a different wing aerofoil section than previous Funtanas amongst other subtle changes making it "a new design". Maybe to cure the tip stall charateristics we currently live with on the F40 and F90 (to a lesser degree). I have seen a thread on this probably on the 3DRC web.

http://www.3drc.info/home.htm

Chrispeace

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool checked out the 3drc link.. thanks. still a really new arf though so probably won;t see much more on this till it is released in june.. Looks like it has a lot of potential though, and won;t be exactly like everyother Funtana the field. We must have 15 of them in our club already! lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is an ad for this plane in MAN. It looks like they are also going to be offering an outrunner with equivelant or better thrust than a 110 IC engine...looks like I may have found a first big electric project!
    STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY LIGHT!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anybody seen/heard weights on this plane? I keep reading but nothing. Maybe because the original Funtana was so overweight they aren't publishing the weight. Looks like an interesting plane, but I'd like to know an idea of weight, at least.

Thanks
    Barry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The original funtana 90 was overweight? Mine came in at just 8 pounds with a Saito 150, it flew too light for my taste.
    Club Saito #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aerobatixkid

The original funtana 90 was overweight? Mine came in at just 8 pounds with a Saito 150, it flew too light for my taste.
    8 lbs? No kidding. Well, too heavy for a 100 or even 125 anyway. Mine was about 8.5 with the 100 and now it's 9.25 with the 180.

I bet it won't weigh or fly all that much different. The wing rock is hardly noticeable on mine even without any spoilerons, and it does float a lot on landing.

The wings were always nice and light. Since the fuse is all lite ply, it will be difficult to remove any more weight from that. You just have to get lucky on the wood selection picked by the overseas maker.

At Toledo I was going to ask Mike McConville if they did anything to address the tail heavy issue when all components are mounted as recommended, but I was way past all that myself and didn't want to beat any dead horses. I'm sure he's heard it all and they'e doing what they can.
    Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yours is the lightest Funtana I've ever heard of. Most are 9.5 to 10.0 lbs. Mine was right at 10lbs with the Saito 150. I changed to a YS110 and changed the battery, the tires, the landing gear and got it to 9lbs 6ozs. I then promptly gave it away. The most hated airplane I ever had. I never could get it to balance right either.

If you check the forums you'll see that most have the same experience I had.

Anyways, I'm hoping the X will be lighter. I have a 110 I'd like to find a good home for. This looks pretty nice but I'm trying to guesstimate the weight. Apparently Hanger 9 isn't willing to risk a published weight. At least I can't find one.

Thanks
    Barry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Apparently Hanger 9 isn't willing to risk a published weight. At least I can't find one.
    They're probably smart to do this. 3D flyers know that no matter what they say about the performance, it will probably need more power than they recommend, and once they publish the weight that's the beginning of the spiral for people recommending better components, engine/radio /airframe upgrades, more cost, etc. Usually, any PR is good PR, but I think most guys would see it as a half hearted remake with a new gimmick of the SFG's. This way, we need to sit back and wonder before we actually start criticizing anything.

I like my F90, but it took a lot of work to iron out everything for the way I like. I still think it's one of the best deals around though at $200. You can outfit it the way they say and it will be a docile pattern plane, or spend more bucks and turn it into a $1500 3D machine. I'm sure the new one will also offer lots of possibilities.
    Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well, I remember thedak had one that was light too, but he was using the SA100. My friends was about 12 pounds with a ST 2300 ! [X(]
    Club Saito #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also was looking at this plane. I got the Hangar 9 quarterly awhile back and saw this onein there. I like the 50 also.

So the new design is supposed to be because there is a new airfoil and the SFG, and of course they are larger.

The idea of the SFG's are really catching on. They seem to do alot of help with lift, but what about looks. Pretty cool to some degree.

~Michael~
    Michael Carr
    Funtana, S100, Fut. 3050 / Rap 30, OS 32, JR 537, Fut. 401

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just saw the 2 page ad in the newest MAN -- the Funtana X weight is posted to be 8.2 to 9.5 lbs. That pretty much confirms it's almost the same airplane as before structurally. Maybe it's a little lighter due to the new carbon parts. If I trashed my F90, I'd probably replace it with the new one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I might look into getting the 50 and putting a 125 or something in it. Would the 125 be too much for the 50 size. What about my Saito 100 that I have right now in my 40 size.

Servos....?

~Michael~
    Michael Carr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is on my list to order , I sure wouldnt even THINK about putting a 2 stroke on this plane [:@]
    CitatioN10

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ditto

~Michael~
    Michael Carr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw it fly!!!

It was at SEFF06 with the new Eflite Power 110.. I may have to get one before next SEFF!! It was awesome. I did compare and from my view it looked the same. I would take the SFGs off ASAP!! They would not survive my landings.. LOL The plane looked awesome!! Yep AWESOME!

LATER
    Saito Club Member #218

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys

After seeing the pictures of the SFG on the WEB, I have made some for the Funtana 40. They work great. They reduce tip stall, almost eliminate wing rock in the Harrier, and it spins like a pin wheel in a blender. High alpha Knife Edge is now a breeze, as well as Knife edge loops. The stall is more predictable, and it has given me the confidence to perform Blenders and Parachutes really low. In terms of power, I have a Saito 90 in mine. Wish I had the 100 though. Outside the states, we are not keen to use the amounts of Nito that are needed with smaller engine choices.

I have an ASP 180 4 stroke in my Funtana 90, and it has great power and pulls well out of the hower. All up weight is around 9.5 pounds. The aircraft is quite happy at this weight. It will certainly tip stall if you let it though. Just need to ensure that you have plenty of elevator, and a rearward CG to transision past the stall quickly. I have started making SFG for it as well, which, I hope, will produce similar results as it did on the 40.

I love flying the current ones, but the new range look great, which, I'm sure, will create many more fans.

cheers

Paul Dobson
    Durban
    South Africa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I picked up my F-100 last Thursday. It looks nice. I am waiting for my new Saito 1.50. I will set it up the same as my F-90 that I have enjoyed flying for 2 years now. I will get started building it this week: Saito 1.50 ans Futaba 9402 servos all around, TBM LiIon battery.
    Herve Lejeune
    PAU
    Performance Aircraft Unlimited

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What do the bottom of the wings look like?
    DPRC

rowlettrcclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aerobatixkid

well, I remember thedak had one that was light too, but he was using the SA100. My friends was about 12 pounds with a ST 2300 ! [X(]
    He must be running a 1.5 pound battery?

Stnx had a light one and so does Dick Hanson.

Mine is right in the middle @10 pounds with a 32oz power package (OS108 with muffler). Wish mine was a light one as it would be great at 9 pounds with the OS108--at 10 pounds it is O.K.

I still think that the OS160 or similar is the right motor for the F90 (not sure about the x100) --balance is about right with tank over CG and comes in about 10.5 pounds (perfect weight for ~18 to 20 pounds of thrust).

Good Flying to you!
    See Blog for RCU Video\'s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CitatioN10
    I sure wouldnt even THINK about putting a 2 stroke on this plane [:@]
    [sm=lol.gif] Two strokes are Great! Four strokes are good also.

For power and cost (including operating on 5% nitro) the OS160 2 stroke is very hard to beat on a 10 to 12 pound 3D plane.
    Good Flying to you!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The F 100 X is 10lbs with OS 108??? I hope you meant the old F 90! I have Saito 1.25 on order,if its 10 lbs, I will need the 150 for sure!
    Jimmy touch tail & I dont care!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MIXMASTER

The F 100 X is 10lbs with OS 108??? I hope you meant the old F 90! I have Saito 1.25 on order,if its 10 lbs, I will need the 150 for sure!
    Exactly, that is why I say the SA125 is not the best motor for the typical F90.

Sounds like they moved the wing back a bit on the 100x to move CG forward. Should come in a bit lighter with C.F. stuff, but I think with H9 there is a good chance you could get a light one or a heavy one.

I say get the airframe, weigh it and then decide what you are going to power it with.

Good Flying to you!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am doing mine with a 1.50 because it was the easy way to balance my F 90. My friend is doing his with a 1.25, but he will probably have to modify to pull pull rudder, mount RX battery on the engine box, and change some of the hardware to lighter one.
    Besides mine, I had the opportunity to fly a number of F 90 here. Because we usually fly with 10 to 20 Mph wind, the extra ligh one got blown arround more. This played a part in my choice too. That being said, my F 90 with the 1.50 is still a very light plane. (under 9 lbs. I do use LiIon Rx batteries which save a bit of weight.
    Herve Lejeune
    PAU
    Performance Aircraft Unlimited

Page 1 of 148 1231151101 ... LastLast