Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D Biplanes.com??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D Biplanes.com??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 09:51 PM
YNOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Biplanes.com??

I saw one of these and it looked pretty cool. I called the guy, who owns the hobby shop, I wanted one and he told me that due to the high cost of the planes, they were no longer going to be produced. When I asked if he just wasn't going to carry them due to the price, he said, they were no longer going to be produced.

Bummer.

Anyone else here about this?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:54 PM
gixxer01

Default RE: 3D Biplanes.com??

I had considered them. Supposedly they fly real good with a Saito 91 on it. Seen vid of Kyle Woyshnis tearin it up @ the DOD website. Too bad some folks do not want to pay that kinda money for a piece of EPP. BTW Kyle could take a cinderblock with a Saito 180 mounted to it and fly better than most folks on their best day!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Funflyaddict

I think you are Right Tony.

I have read the same elsewhere about them being discontinued. To bad as they seemed to fly well. Didnt Personally see one, but watched a fair few videos. Oh Well....Still the Chinn Boxxer for all the bipe lovers[8D]. I guess it was the price and maybe looks that didnt sell them well?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:21 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

I think it was the fact that it was foam?? That doesnt bother me at all but for some people it would. They are asking on the upper end middle of the road price for a plane that was not a quick build style arf and everyone wondered about the repair. I have repaired foam, its easier than balsa, but Im just not sure everyone elese was ready to try it. They would have sold more had they been dirt cheap and "disposable" BUT the production isnt cheap and you cant take a loss just for everyone to have a plane. Too bad it didnt work out better.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:44 AM
l-wise

Hi guys!!
Guess what, 3D biplanes are available! At least for now.
I would encourage anyone to try making RC kits. You would find that flipping burgers at Burger King is much easier and pays much better.

Lets take a look at a 3D biplane. There is $156. in materials and outside expenses in the kit.( Remember that it is a biplane. You can't compare it to a monoplane). The box that it is shipped in is $8.50. It takes 30 minutes to package a kit. Most planes cost more to ship than what is charged for shipping. The plane sells for $199. Take away the fixed costs and that leaves about $24.00
The bottom line is that you make $24. to package the plane and get nothing to build the kit. What make it worse is that to the fixed costs at $156. you have to buy enough materials to build at least 200 kits.
Why would a person build model airplane kits?

My son and I built and flew our first biplanes a couple of years ago. There are absolutely no other airplanes like them, period!!!
That is why I made these first 200 kits. I wanted modelers to witness for themselves real high alpha 3D flight. It's so fun if you have a plane that will actually do it well!!

We have owned our machine shop for 32 years and it is quite profitable. I made these kits for the love of the hobby! I only have about 30 kits left to sell. I will keep parts for those who need them. I sell them on my own as not to bother our machine shop operations.

I won't be advertising them any more because the remaining kits will sell by word of mouth.

I will say in closing----- everything in our hobby is a bargain-I don't think anyone makes much selling RC products!!!

They all do it for the love of the hobby!!!

Old 05-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Are they still for sale? Local guy bought one and loves it. You think you'll have a red 60 size middle of the week?
Old 05-06-2006, 11:13 AM
l-wise

I have both colors ready to ship. My e-mail is [email protected]
Whats the guys name that has one?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:21 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Sheeted foams have better strength-to-weight ratio than built-up wood for thin wing and profile fuselage. In fact, sheeted foam is fundamentally a composite.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM
1rcaddict

Can anyone recommend a good 3D 50-90 size ARF biplane?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM
JustErik

This is as good as it gets. Slap a Saito .82 or YS .63 in this puppy and I can't imagine you'll be dissappointed.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: 1rcaddict

Can anyone recommend a good 3D 50-90 size ARF biplane?

Yep! this one buy it before they are gone.guy's i fly with all have tried to buy one. but like I-WISE said just not worth it for the money made.
anyone else looking to get one do it! it does all the hi alpha stuff better than any biplane i have.
hovers are stupid easy and it is the most fun plane to fly,and can take a beating including power on blenders.the whole plane is made from foam with ply added for stress area's. i have a YS 1.10 on mine.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: closetguy

Yep! this one buy it before they are gone.guy's i fly with all have tried to buy one. but like I-WISE said just not worth it for the money made.
anyone else looking to get one do it! it does all the hi alpha stuff better than any biplane i have.
hovers are stupid easy and it is the most fun plane to fly,and can take a beating including power on blenders.the whole plane is made from foam with ply added for stress area's. i have a YS 1.10 on mine.
closetguy,

Note that prior to today, the most recent post in this thread is nearly two years old. It's possible that it's way too late to get one of these birds.

Erik
Old 01-28-2008, 09:11 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Yep i know that that is why i said if you wanted one now's the time,I-WISE said he had 30 kits left.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 PM
JustErik

Wow, all this time and he still has some left! I guess that explains why there aren't a whole lot of people out there making kits. Imagine sitting on inventory that long. Gotta be tough to be in the kit business.