Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hey Experts::: Pull Pull & CF linkages

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hey Experts::: Pull Pull & CF linkages

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Experts::: Pull Pull & CF linkages

ive been browsing the 3d forum tonight... about 12 pages back...ive noticed with all the experience here on rcu noone has discussed pull pull: how to or CF linkages: How to.. i think it would help alot of people getting into 3d to properly setup there plane w. no slop....what do you guys know?

it doesnt even have to be the big stuff.. ive noticed most people are discussing .46-90 size models
Old 05-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

Default RE: Hey Experts::: Pull Pull & CF linkages

:::::::bump::::::: anyone?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:22 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

CF pull - pull or just regular pull - pull? Servos as close as possible to the control surface is the way to go. Most pull - pull setups develop some type of slop after time. No big secret to pull - pull really. I just use the largest arm possible for a single pull - pull setup and try to use kevlar line or the nelson line. Make sure there is no slack when the cables are working and you should be good to go.

A good servo also tends to help. I think slack in pull - pull cables is the number one no no that I see on a regular basis. If you have adjustment at both the surface and servo end then you should be able to eliminate any slack.

CF linkages you can attack two different ways. One is to use the Central Hobbies type setup where the CF rod makes up the majority of the control rod with the ends or caps being the threaded part. The alternative setup is to use a 4-40 rod longer than your CF rod and then cap it at both ends with some 4-40 nuts. I like the second setup better for rudders on a pull-pull setup. Using two 8611A's on my WH Extra 260 I managed to pull apart one CF rod during some rolling harriers.

Myself I am more inclined to use a titanium link for something 4" or smaller. Anything larger I tend to go with a CF rod.

Gluing them together can be done with JB Weld (best) Epoxy (good) and supposedly thick CA (should work).

The nice part of the Central hobbies type setup is you save weight.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

nice little review... ive never personally used them.. as far as ive went was to use sticks w. rods on the ends.... i think i may go w/ the CF route in the future.. may try it on my newest UcanDo and i will be picking up another 3d bird here in the next couple of weeks... to lazy to convert the other planes that are already set-up
Old 05-09-2006, 08:42 PM
airborneSGT

I have had the U can Do and most other small 3d plane! Once I went to big planes my smallest became a 27% Well ok I do have the DP Ultimate because it fits in the car as it is and its alright size.

Anyways, the U Can do I think is a good application of the CF rods. The 4-40 rods FLEX badly under 3D flying conditions. From the .46 to the big one I would highly recommend the CF rods. Remember for 3D you want as tight a setup as possible with max throws.
I like to think of it like setting up a pattern ship in terms of performance with a lot more durability.

Would be happy to take some shots of my setups when I get the chance. The whole point of the hobby is helping people not having the better than thou attitude. I might hover down on the deck but I have just as much fun taking someone up on the buddy box.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

shots would be sweet WHEN you find time... hmm i have two weeks vacation i need to use.. wonder if i could talk to the other half into laying on a beach in fla... never flown a big plane before... but yea shots would be sweet....

ive replaced rods on my ucando that is setup right now 3times.. when you get to yankin hard on it.. you have to replace them... i may attempt it on my new ucando..if it works out well.. ill convert my RTF ucando
Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 PM
airborneSGT

The big planes fly much easier. Sundays are best for me Not sure what I will have in two weeks. I am hoping to have my 40% and 35%. Im selling my H9 260 27% If you happen to be down here and want a RTF plane. Be happy to demo it or any plane for 3D.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

lol i wish i could spend my vacation in fla... ohhh man....thanks for the tips tho.. it helped me and i am sure it will help others who search for it
Old 05-10-2006, 02:01 PM
AeroDave

I use the 4-40 covered with CF also. Its very strong, easy and fast to make, and there's no flex. I've always been distrustful of those ends pulling out.