Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Goldberg 77" Edge

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Goldberg 77" Edge

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
cwhite
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg 77" Edge

Anybody flying the new 77" Edge from Goldberg. Sharp looking plane and I have a ZDZ 40 that needs a home. I'm looking at this and the GP Yak. Help me out!!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Goldberg 77" Edge

If you built it really light you might have an alright gas plane. I flew the H9 27% Extra which has slightly less wing area and around the same weight. Once you go gas you are going to add at least a pound and then it snaps easily.

I would say Saito 180 or 220 would rock.

I love gas but go 28% or bigger for fun with gas! Not sure whats up with all these tweener planes comming out. I think you would have to work with all lightweight stuff to hit your target weight with a gas engine.

If you kept it light I am sure it would have similar performance to the H9 260 which has unlimited 3D when built really light. It kills me when people with smaller planes go overboard with redudant setups and huge battery packs and pilots...ect.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:23 AM
cwhite

Anybody have one of these??
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 PM
wrcflyer
My Feedback: (24)

hey guys - got about 6 flights on mine - love this plane - os-120 - it's power house in this - bill wrc-flyer
Old 05-11-2006, 03:31 PM
wrcflyer

sorry guys - wrong tread - thoght it was the tread for the 67" edge - oops i just get excited- thats what rc-ing does to us guys - bill - wrc-flyer
Old 05-13-2006, 08:23 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

I to am interested in this plane. Someone out there must have bought one by now. I like the size and have a YS 160 looking for a home. I just need to know if they build up as light as the manufacturer claims, most planes usually come out a pound or so heavier. Any info would be greatly appreciated. As for your ZDZ 40. cwhite, I would bet that it should be a very good combination, Dick Hanson has one of these motors in a H9 260 and feels that it is a nice combo. The real test will be to see if it comes out as light as the H9 plane does.

thx Dave
Old 05-14-2006, 05:50 PM
ppike

I am currently finishing up on one of these edge's. It looks great. I put an evolution 35cc gasser in it. It should fly great. The thing looks like it is built really light. I should have a weight on it tonight. I will let you know later.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:01 PM
DLEVETT

Thanks looking forward to hearing what the actual weight is. Can you include a listing of the servos battery etc.

thx Dave
Old 05-14-2006, 06:30 PM
cwhite

ppike,

Thanks for chiming in! Keep the info coming. Pics! I really like the color scheme. Did you have a chance to weigh this thing without the engine and electronics? I looked at one at my LHS this weekend. Huge rudder and ailerons! I'm really hoping this thing comes in under 8lbs without engine and electronics. Are you using one or two aileron servos?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-14-2006, 08:55 PM
ppike

Dlevett & Cwhite,
Well I just finished most of the instalation on the edge. It came out 15lbs. on the nose minus prop. I will include what I put in the thing and you can go from there. Most of the gear was the same as my last two gassers. One was the powerline edge 540, and the other was the GSP Katana 1.40. They were both slightly smaller at 72" and 73". They both flew just fine. I still have the Katana, but I hate the fuse access. I do not feel like modifying the fuse to get more access room. I am amazed at how much bigger the extra 4-5" makes. Below is the listing of what I have in the thing.

Evolution 35cc Gas engine
Bisson Inverted Pitts
Three Cirrus 704 mg servo's Ele, Rud
Four Hitec 635's for aileron's
Jr 537 for throttle.
Jr R770pcm rx
Two matchboxes for aileron's
Rx Battery is 2700nimh 4.8v
Ignition is 1100nicd 4.8v

I think I might pull the pilot out and save a few ounces. I do not think that it would matter. I also moved the fuel tank back to just in front of the wing tube. I am using the fuel tank out of the katana. I think it is 16oz. which is smaller than the stock tank that came with the edge. I should be test flying the thing on Thursday. I will let you know how it goes at that time. Sorry I did not post any pictures. Perhaps latter. I hope this info helps.

Perry
Old 05-14-2006, 09:43 PM
airborneSGT

Geesh 15lbs ready to fly is on the heavy side for this size. I never used matchboxes on twin aileron setups even on big planes. Used a hitec servo programmer and just adjusted linkages.

I kinda doubt the 35cc is going to be enough to huck down on the deck at that weight. FWIW on small planes like these you need to save weight wherever you can. I remove everything not neeed. Then again depends on your style of flying. I mainly like to fly 3D.

I always wondered why they had dual aileron servos on such a small plane. You can get away with a single aileron servo on 35% planes?? Maybe just softer ailerons.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:17 AM
ppike

I think that if I got rid of the match boxes and the extra two servo's I would save a little less than 6oz. I also think that anyone that is putting a gas engine in this is going to come out about the same. I know that my evolution 35 weighs less than the fuji engines. I just looked, and my 35cc weighs less than the fuji 32 and the fuji 43. It also generates as mutch horse power as the fuji 43. I am not saying that there are not lighter gas engines out there, but I am using what I got. The engine is within the recomended range. I could have used digital servo's, but then again, I used what I had. Tons of torque and less power drain on the rx system. I hope to get a DA50 and another plane later this year. Perhaps for christmas. I will post the flight performance later this week. I think the thing should fly fine. I will weigh about the same as my katana but has a much larger wing and more wing area. The katana was over-powerd with the 35cc in it. At the worst what could happen.
Perry
Old 05-15-2006, 10:18 AM
ppike

I just did a little more checking and I found out that the 77" edge has the same wing area as the GP 81" yak 54. It gives a top weight of 15.5lbs. I guess it all depends on how they figure the total wing area. I think that the Hanager 9 Extra 260 has the same wing area also. It too has a top weight of 15lbs. It should be interesting.

Perry
Old 05-15-2006, 05:54 PM
DLEVETT

Thanks for the weights Perry. I,m thinking that a Evolution 45GX along with lipo,s and one servo per wing should have the wt. down to 14lbs +/- 2-3ozs. Which will put it into the H9 260 range. With this kind of power and a 1140 sq/in wing the performance will be great. My previous H9 260 with a DA 50 was 14.5 lbs and was a rocket with no bad habits. I will order one this week and post individual part wts. and pics when it comes in.

thx Dave
Old 05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
airborneSGT

Now we are talking! I think the new ZDZ 40 might be a cool powerhouse, but usually under that in smaller planes or planes this size you just dont get all out 3D. I like to be stupid over powered though!

Digis are not really needed ever. Really fast normal servos are fine. I am just so used to digis on everything I fly I rarely use regular servos unless I am trying to save weight. Then again I fly 2800lion packs even in the small stuff so I am not too worried about battery drainage.

Enough small talk, lets hear how this bird flies! In the end, thats all that really matters.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:31 PM
DLEVETT

Hey Perry do you have any pics that you can share with us guys that haven,t got one yet.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:24 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Anybody got a pic of the bottom of plane? Or any pics period?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:33 PM
captainpitts-RCU

I had one of these this summer and it flew awesome. The plane dosen't need a big gasser on it though I had an o.s. 1.60 and it had plenty. I am not going to swear to it but I think I was in the 12# ball park I would hover right around 1/2 throttle. The only problem I have with the plane is thier customer service is horible and the plane had a real bad tendencie for flutter on the ailerons. I was running 2 5625's on 6 volts robart hinge points and sealed gaps with a 1:1 ratio on the control horns/servo's. I lost it due to flutter on a powered back 45 deg. down line. Plane flew nice but I don't trust the build of the ailerons. I think the are made to flimsey for their size.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:36 PM
captainpitts-RCU

capthis,

I'll get some pics this evening. The bottom of the wings are black and yellow checkerboard and the fuse is just a continueation of the red
Old 02-26-2007, 02:57 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Pics would be great if you get a chance! Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 PM
joshjonesjammin

how do you think a saito 220 would perform in ths model? Weight? 3D performence? Also if anybody has pics please post them!!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:11 AM
rcproflyer
My Feedback: (8)

I crashed my 77" edge due to pilot error, can anybody tell me the diameter of the wing tube?It was bent in the ceash. I through it in the trash went back about 2 days later and the tube was gone? Aluminum I guess. Since Tower bought Goldberg, it seems that they are in the process of getting some planes from the wharehouse, and do not have one available to measure. I had a BT43 EI on it and it weighed 13 lbs 8 oz and would do anything and I mean anything you wanted. Saved the wing & tail. Building a scratch fuselage. I will post the pictures as sonn as I finish it. You can send diameter measurements of the tube to [email protected]

Thank you,
Brandon Chesney
Old 09-15-2007, 06:45 PM
saltywheels

anyone got any idea how this plane would fly with a YS 140, which is about the power of a saito 180.