Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Tower Slow Ride

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Tower Slow Ride

Old 09-13-2018, 12:55 PM
aldelp
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Tower Slow Ride

Has anyone else put together the Tower Slow Ride? There was something about it when I first saw it that made me have to have it! I must say, I was not disappointed with the kit. It went together very well and easily. One of the features I was very impressed with was the last page of the manual has 8 angle guide for setting up the control throws, something that all kits should have, great feature. I believe what attracted me to it is a couple of things with my advancing age, The size, easy to see. It's slow flying 3D capability. I love 3D flying and just need something bigger to be able to fly. Loved the Hanger 9 Frenzy, but alas, it is no longer available. It will be powered with a Turnigy 32 with a 60 amp ESC. Going to start with a turnigy Graphene 3.0 4S 45c 3000 mah lipo., also have Zippy 5800mah 40c 4s batteries to try, have some 5 cell, but will probably be too much for the Slow Ride.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:03 AM
gwright

highly recommend 4s/2200's and the stock recommended motor. With recommended servos/motor and 4s/2200 you'll be around 52 ounces. The rimfire 28 motor was developed specifically for that plane, so it's powered perfectly with it. with the motor you mention, you'll be about 3 ounces heavier, plus 3 or 4 for the larger battery. Doesn't sound like much, but that would be more than a 10% increase over the designed weight which is very significant. What we find with the stock setup is larger batteries don't provide a significant increase in flight time anyway, they just add weight that detracts from performance. I average 6 to 8 minutes on 4s/2200's, and during testing I only got another two minutes with 4350 batteries, but gained half a pound in weight so the performance was actually worse than with the smaller packs. Every component for the slowride was meticulously chosen. Additionally, if you modify to use larger "standard" servos in the tail, as some have done, you'll gain two ounces in the tail, which will require 6 in the nose,.. so half a pound addedd. The 25 gram servos with very high torque were a deliberate choice, not just something that fit well . They were the lightest servo that actually had enough torque to hold full aileron deflection without blowback.

Just some thoughts to share.

GW
Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 AM
aldelp

All that sounds like a great idea, BUT when retired and on a fixed income I have to make concessions and use what I have. Finances always dictate what can be done, I was drawn to this plane and I am sure with these old thumbs and eyes, it will be great with what I have. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 AM
gwright

I understand. What you have will work and fly the plane well, just a lot heavier than intended. You may want to change the landing gear. It's minimally sized to accomodate the weight of the recommended equipment. this was in keeping with the "minimal weight everywhere" mindset when I initially drew it. It's very springy/spongy/soft. works perfectly well with the intended components but it also allowed the fuselage to be designed with minimal structure as the landing gear acts as a shock absorber. the next size up was 5/32, which was 1.8 ounces heavier and far more rigid. You may want to bend another gear from 5/32 but if you do, please laminate another layer of 1/8" play in the bottom of the fuselage to withstand the increased loads
Old 09-24-2018, 11:16 AM
aldelp

Good idea!!