Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Models Fun Star 40-3D

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Phoenix Models Fun Star 40-3D

Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Models Fun Star 40-3D

You're kidding right? Just two nylon bolts and the wing is on or off. Plane is small enough to transport assembled in lots of vehicles.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 AM
jfk5168

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering the same thing... I have the choice of a Magnum 40 XL or a TT 46 PRO to put on my new Funstar, have both sitting on bench unused, and really want to start out with enough power to have fun but not so much that I will get myself into trouble. Anybody have a suggestion?

ORIGINAL: exciter900rr

I have a question that may temporarily revive this thread......

I was just literally given a rtf fun star. the only thing I'm wondering about is the .40 magnum 2 stroke in it-
I'd kinda like to just knock the barnacles off of it and fly it, but will it be severely underpowered? I do have a .55ax on the shelf, but it ran like poop in my u can do .46- appeared that it wasn't operating in the right rpm range even though I was running the "wacky prop" on it- (12 1/4 x 3 3/4)

I fly a DA 50R powered 29% sukhoi right now, and also have a .36 tribute that I play with when it isn't broken in half from draggin the tail- lol I am used to the punch out of the 50cc bird, but also like flying the little tribute- (just to give an indicator of what I'm used to flying...)
Thanks for the help! KM
Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Devo

I think either of the engines you listed, 40 XL or 46 pro, will work fine on the Funstar. Although I'm not real familiar with the magnum, but any 40/46 engine should fly this plane well. The funstar is light and has plenty of wing. It just depends on your flying style. I flew mine with an OS 46Fx and it had plenty of power. I tend to lean towards, the more power the better, and with the OS, I never felt it was lacking. The Funstar is not meant to go fast. Also the prop noted in the quote from exciter900rr (12 1/4 x 3 3/4) is the prop to use. If you have other plans for your TT 46 pro, then mount the magnum on the Funstar, I think you'll still have fun with it. Hope this helps
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
jfk5168

Thanks for answering my questions Devo... Iam new to the world of 3D and do not want to over do it on my first attempt. Ihave flown several low wing sport planes.... my favorite was a Star Fire 40... cannot remember now who was the manufacturer but was a nice plane for an ARF. Iam just assmbling my Funstar now and find it to be very well construction. In 12 years + of RCmodeling,Ihave only done 2 ARF's counting the Funstar. I have built many othermodels including scratch building from plans but Iwanted something thatI could put in the air quickly before the flying season ended.My current other plane is a 30+year old Aeromaster 60 Bipe with a Webra Speed 61 on it. Lots of fun to fly also.
ORIGINAL: Devo

I think either of the engines you listed, 40 XL or 46 pro, will work fine on the Funstar. Although I'm not real familiar with the magnum, but any 40/46 engine should fly this plane well. The funstar is light and has plenty of wing. It just depends on your flying style. I flew mine with an OS 46Fx and it had plenty of power. I tend to lean towards, the more power the better, and with the OS, I never felt it was lacking. The Funstar is not meant to go fast. Also the prop noted in the quote from exciter900rr (12 1/4 x 3 3/4) is the prop to use. If you have other plans for your TT 46 pro, then mount the magnum on the Funstar, I think you'll still have fun with it. Hope this helps
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Devo

The Funstar was my first Arf also and my first try at a 3D plane. I bought the Funstar to replace an Uproar that made an early and untimely end. I didn't really consider the Uproar to be a 3d plane, more of a fun-fly. I found the Funstar to be a good stepping stone as I moved on to bigger and more powerful 3D planes. First a Great
Planes U-CAN-DO 3D with a four stroke OS 70 and now a Hangar 9 Frenzy with a Saito 125. The Funstar flys as easy as a trainer without the self-correcting characteristics of a trainer. I still have my Funstar ready to fly, it's served me well. Have fun with it!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 AM
jfk5168

What control throws are a good starting point for this plane? Both high and low rate. Also is EXPO necessry and if so where should I start for each surface?