Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:44 PM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

with 700 squares of wing, you've got plenty of wing to carry that weight around. Even at 7 lbs it should still fly ok.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 PM
zeng62

I'm not going to buy another engine if I don't need to, this airplane is for fun and goofing around not serious all out 3D.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:07 AM
jusplanecrazy

I am going with a Saito 80 in my Reactor.It weighs a couple oz less then the OS 70.Have been through the manual,and this may seem a stupid question.I don,t see any information on mounting the refueler.I,ve always flown "open Engine",so I,ve never used a remote refueler.All I see on some of the pix,is a hose sticking down with the aluminum cap that is furnished with the kit.Any help out there ? Thanks guys..Great forum..First time I have participated......Jusplanecrazy
Old 02-20-2007, 12:15 AM
jusplanecrazy

Hey Guys, Forgot this on the last post.As I said .I,m going with a Saito 80.Mainly cause I got one,and it needs a home. Anyone know if there is an extension available for it ? I have seen flexable extensions for the Saitos,but I think those would be too long.
Again thanks for your help. Bill
Old 02-20-2007, 08:07 AM
JustErik

Crazy,

I think you're on the right track with the fueling line. The 3-line setup allows for a dedicated fill line which is supposed to be plugged by the included plug. I guess having it hang in the vicinity of the engine is as good a plan as any. As far as an extension for the Saito, I know the OS and YS have the same threads, but I'm not sure about the Saito. Perhaps Horizon could give you some info on an extension or adapter of some sort. And when you get moving with yours, post some pics and let up know how the assembly goes for you.

Erik
Old 02-20-2007, 09:20 AM
jusplanecrazy

Hey Erik,Thanks for the help .I knew I could count on someone out ther.Hres a few thoughts about some of the comments I,ve read.Kind of my 2 cents worth...Thinking of mounting the reciever under the canopy.Not worried about the look .I paint all my clear canopies on the inside.I like the look.If you do this ,don,t use black.Made that mistake.The hot sun will suck it in.I,m thinking gold,metallic for this one...Just kind of my thing..Let me throw this out on the "soft" landing gear..What if you laminated a carbon fiber tape strip on the inside of each leg ? Wonder if that would help stiffen it. I,m going with the HS-225MG servos 67oz on 6volt,
and the speed is .14 on 4.8,and .11 on 6 volt.I won,t ever fly in compitition.I,m probably one of the "old timers" of this group.
I,m 67,and been in the hobby for about 6 years. I just love doing this stuff.I have a "Twist" that I flew this past summer,so the Reactor looked like even more fun.Would like to post pix,but I haven,t learned digital yet.Kind of a "Low tech soul lost in a hi tech world",but I,m getting there..Hey.Don,t want to overstay my welcome here,so I,ll sign off.Will keep you posted....Bill
Old 02-20-2007, 09:54 AM
JustErik

Bill,

No need to worry about overstaying your welcome. Heck, if that were possible, I'd have been kicked out long ago. I nearly used the 225s myself on this bird. They are great servos; very fast and lots of torque. I'm sure they'll do a good job. The carbon fiber tape on the gear sounds like a great idea. Do you think we would have to sand off the paint and get down to bare metal? I too have my doubts about how springy they are. One of these days, maybe I'll get to fly the darn thing. It's been finished and patiently waiting for about 3 weeks now. The canopy suggestion is a good one. I wouldn't have thought about the heat retention aspect of a black canopy. My RX is under the canopy as well and right there for all the world to see.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:59 AM
cmala3

I stuffed my receiver under the canopy too but I cut a piece of plywood so it would barely fit in the openeing and then I slid it forward so that the lips on the fuselage would hold it and the receiver in place (along with a couple drops of CA).
Old 02-20-2007, 10:57 AM
tahfiet

Hi Erik!

I will probably use a Tanic 820 2S pack which is 42g and the Digiswitch is 15g. As I am still waiting for the kit I am not sure about weight-saving. My last GP models had very heavy landing-gear, so that might be a point to change the gear. Use lightweight servos and motor-wires instead of the heavy seroc-cables. Even if it does have a lot of wing-area, the lighter the better. and the less power you need from a smaller engine?! 3D-flying is much easier with a light aircraft. If you are just bashing that thing around and want a plane that flies straight and is capable of more manouvers than the average modeller, it is fine to go with heavier engine/radio combos. As I said before, if you want to fly 3D.....

I am really looking forward to have that kit in my work-shop.

BR,

David
Old 02-20-2007, 01:32 PM
jusplanecrazy

Hi Erik, Not really sure how to atach the carbon fiber.I,m sure you would have to get down to the metal..A friend of mine that flies electrics uses a lot of carbon fiber,let me get with him,and see what he has to say.Unless of course thers is someone else out there that has experiance using carbon fiber.Seems to me ,my buddy ataches it under pressure.Might be a change on the servos.Hobbico TS-35 Mg have the exact same specs as the Hitech,and they are 3 bucks less.Got to stretch our "hobby dollar" !.I,ve heard ,and believe that Hobbicos are made by Hitech,and Tower servos are made by Futaba.If you check the specs you will see that they are
identical......Hey ,I,ll pay less.Don,t think the plane cares if it,s got "Designer" servos ,or not......Until the next time....Bill
Old 02-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Ernie Misner

What is the best spinner size for the Reactor? I have a Saito 82 and the standard Tru Turn, 2 1/4" size required cutting some of the crankshaft length off! So I'd have to go with their Ultimate (longer and more pointed spinner) or cut on the crankshaft....... or go with a 2 1/2" inch spinner.

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-20-2007, 02:31 PM
JustErik

Ernie,

I chose to go with the Ultimate, but that's because they said that's what would fit my engine and the low pitch prop. I suppose if I alread had the standard spinner in hand, I might have considered modding the crankshaft. This is the first Tru Turn I've ever bought.....it sure is a fine piece of work, but I'm not sure I'll spring for another one any time soon. My wallet is still stinging from the pain.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks Erik,

Did you go with the 2 1/4" Ultimate? (best for the Reactor cowling?) Also, how do you feel about the pointy look.... okay?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 PM
JustErik

Yep, I got the 2.25-inch Ultimate. I think it looks fine....but this stuff is so subjective.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Ernie Misner

That Ultimate one looks great Eric. Now..... since I'll be running a 14x4W APC..... hmmm, do I need to order a reg. Ultimate or a wide blade Ultimate...

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-20-2007, 03:40 PM
JustErik

Ernie,

I went back and looked at my invoice. The part number is "TT-2282-B-W 2-1/4" Ultimate "WIDE BLADE" Aluminum Spinner". I'm using the same prop as you, so that should work perfectly.

Erik
Old 02-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Ernie Misner

Okay, ... now which adaptor did you get if you have that info Erik.

Thanks loads,

Ernie
Old 02-20-2007, 05:43 PM
bluehawkbm

To all who are concerned about the stength of the landing gear, I have 6 or 7 flights on mine now and have had no problems with the gear being to weak or springy. The gear is long so on take off on a bumpy grass field you do see it flexing. So far my landings have been pretty good, (this plane is just so easy to grease in) and the gear has not sprang out any. Many people including myself have experienced that the gear is mounted to far aft and the plane wants to nose over easily. I modified mine and now it works perfect. I have a previous post with photos that explains my modification. It is easy and effective.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:10 PM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Okay, ... now which adaptor did you get if you have that info Erik.

Thanks loads,

Ernie
Erinie,

Sorry for the delay in posting. I suspect you've already figured it out by now. The adapter is specific to your engine, unless I'm mistaken. I went through the process for a Saito .82 and it looks like part number TT-0717-A is the one you want. If you reached a different conclusion, it might not be a bad idea to call them and get some expert advice.

Bluehawk, thanks for the update on the gear. If the darn thing noses over on me, I guess I'll do your mod on the gear as well.

Erik
Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Erik, you have me wondering now..... check this link....

http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...exact_match=on

You've probably done this so please be patient. If you follow the adaptor finder and Saito 82, it will take you to that 0717A number, but then if you look again it says that if your prop is thinner than 1/2" (like our 14"W's are), then to use the 0716A adaptor.

I emailed Tru Turn and they said I would HAVE to use the 0716A for a thin prop.... but I wonder. Tower doesn't even stock the 0716A for the thin props.

Thanks loads,

Ernie
Old 02-20-2007, 11:16 PM
cmala3

Holy machined aluminum batman. over $60 for a spinner for a .40 size plane? That hurts! But it sure does look nice. When I get my saito I'm sure I'll spring for one I'm glad you guys are working out all the details for me first

Craig
Old 02-21-2007, 02:21 AM
Ernie Misner

In the engine forum a fellow likes his Dave Brown spinner. Hmmm, much cheaper too....

Ernie
Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 AM
JustErik

Ernie,

It looks like I missed the bit about the thin prop. I'd listen to Tru Turn on this one. And I've hear the Bave Brown spinners are good. That's certainly one option to consider.

Erik
Old 02-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Ernie Misner

Hey Erik, but you are going to use the thin prop. Have you tried the APC thin props we use with your spinner and adaptor yet?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-21-2007, 03:02 PM
JustErik

Ernie,

No, I haven't tried one yet. If necessary, I'll get another adapter. I suppose I should try one now so that I can get it ordered if I need it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.