Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Celidon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

In the 7C you can do a P-mix but you can't adjust the elevator during flight. I am getting ready to sell my 7C and get a 9C Super just for my reactor.

Hey Ernie, I saw you post over on the Twist 60 thread. You thinking about getting one? I love mine, but I am still working on dialing it in. I am a rookie so it takes me longer.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:36 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Celidon

In the 7C you can do a P-mix but you can't adjust the elevator during flight. I am getting ready to sell my 7C and get a 9C Super just for my reactor.

The 9C's are really a nice radio. Does everything I want it to.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:52 PM
jusplanecrazy

Celidon, You will love the 9C .I went from a 6XE to it .Didn,t realize what a dinasor that 6 was .Flew with it for 5 years,and thought I had the "hot setup"...See you are from Westerville..Was just down there to the swap meet .Look forward to it every year,and I hit Hurricane Hobby once ina while Good store.Nice people,and good invantory..I tore holes in the sky this past summer with a Twist 40.
Put a 46 AX on it ,and had plenty of power..Still working out some bugs on my Reactor..Main prob is the battery pack.I,m going with a 6 volt pack,and by the initial balance it has to go aft of the trailing edge,about half way to the tail.At that point it can,t lay flat,so I,m thinking of a sleeve to slide up into vertically,but theres so little frame work,I,m having a hard time trying to figure the best way to attach it..Just going to have to stare at it some more,and see if "Mr. Miller" can get my brain working. Any one got any help .I would think we are all facing this.Any suggestions will be apreciated.............Bill
Old 04-05-2007, 07:12 PM
bluehawkbm

Your right justplanecrazy. I have a 9CAPS and it rocks.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:59 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

any recommendations on where the CG should be?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Ernie Misner

Also, they call for NO foam padding around the fuel tank. I might try to get some in there anyway.

Erik, anyone, have you flown it without any foam padding without foaming?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-06-2007, 01:15 PM
JustErik

Ernie, my tank is suspended from the wing tube, so it might not be a valid comparison. I did, however, manage to get a little foam in there. I have managed to run the engine, but still haven't had the right combination of weather and free time to maiden the plane. This is the longest I've ever had a plane ready to fly and not been able to do so. It's really quite maddening.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks Erik. I bet you'll "fly it like you stole it" when you finally get some weather. Are you really far north there or what?

I ground away a bit of the formers that hold the tank so I can get some foam in there. We don't want the dreaded foaming tank right off the bat.

Ernie
Old 04-06-2007, 02:09 PM
JustErik

Ernie,

There have been several nice days when I could have flown it, but between the job and other commitments, it just hasn't worked out.

And who says I *didn't* steal it?!?!
Old 04-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Ernie Misner

With my Saito 82 it seems like the engine sits right out on the end of the mounting beams to get the right distance to the backing plate. Looks like it will work okay though. I like their little EZ connector on the throttle arm. Finally a 4-stroke setup that isn't a pain in the rear.

Ernie
Old 04-06-2007, 07:57 PM
bluehawkbm

Erie, I quess I'm a little late responding to the question of padding around the fuel tank. But anyway, I didn't put any foam around mine. I just stuck it in the cradle made for the tank. I have at least 20 flights on mine and have had no issues with the fuel foaming.
So far the plane has performed perfect.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
malcolmm

ORIGINAL: bluehawkbm

Erie, I quess I'm a little late responding to the question of padding around the fuel tank. But anyway, I didn't put any foam around mine. I just stuck it in the cradle made for the tank. I have at least 20 flights on mine and have had no issues with the fuel foaming.
So far the plane has performed perfect.
Same with me, no padding around the tank. No problems after about a dozen flights.

Malcolm
Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 PM
malcolmm

I got another 6 or more flights with my Reactor today. Conditions were ideal this time, almost no wind.

The more I fly this plane, the more I like it. It seems to do very well at practically everything. And unlike some of my other 3D planes (e.g. Showtime 90), it doesn't feel like it wants to snap when you don't want it to. Very confidence inspiring.

Great Planes, please make a 90/120 size, and maybe also a 160 size. The only change I would like to see is better landing gear. The grass at my field is a little tall, but still no problem for my other planes. The Reactor is a pain to takeoff, it always seems like it wants to tip forward. I thought I had figured it out, but I haven't, it's still annoying. But everything else is great - this is my current favourite 3D plane.

The OS 55 AX is great in the Reactor. I first tried a 13 x 4 Zinger Pro, which worked well. But I broke it in a nose over and went to an APC 12.25 x 3.75. It reallys spins up with this prop of course, and thrust was much greater, even though I still have it running rich.

Malcolm
Old 04-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Ernie Misner

Great reports guys! It's funny how some tanks want to foam and some don't. Now to get mine in the air..... Rob's too!

Ernie
Old 04-07-2007, 07:31 PM
bluehawkbm

Malcolmm,

If you will go to post 111 and 184 on this thread it describes how I fixed my landing gear so that the plane will not nose over so easily. Its simple and works great. I have done this on mine and a friends reactor with great results.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:15 PM
joshjonesjammin

how did yall mount the battery in the tail? what is the best way to get it back there and secured into place. Also, are yall mounting the fuel tank way up by the motot are in the compartment under the wing tube? Because i want my plane to be balanced at all times during the flight? Thanks, Josh
Old 04-07-2007, 10:10 PM
JustErik

Josh,

My tank is in the radio compartment under the tube as shown below.

If you go this route, you'll have minimal CG change as the fuel is consumed. However, you'll probably want to consider some sort of fuel pump or pressurized/regulated fuel delivery system to help ensure consistent engine performance.

Erik
Old 04-08-2007, 01:08 PM
rfmullig

I am VERY interested in this plane. How do you think it would fly with a Saito 65 4stroke?
Rob
Old 04-08-2007, 07:16 PM
bluehawkbm

Im going to try to answer 3 seperate questions asked since my last post.

1st I put my battery in the tail for balance. Cut the covering in the last hole in the bottom of the fuse. Wrap your battery in some foam and stuff it all the back as far as needed ( I went all the way to the servos in the tail). Suff more foam around the battery if needed so it won't move around and then glue a scrap of heavy balsa or light ply on the former in front of the battery to secure it. You will need a extension on the battery lead to go to the receiver. Patch hole with monocote. (I had some solid yellow and it looked fine)

2nd With a glow engine you must mount the tank forward against the firewall the way the plane is designed unless as Eric said you have some type of fuel pump to the engine. A YS 63 has this and it will work fine mounted more rearward but any other 2 or 4 stroke will not without a pump. The problem is when you pull the plane vertical the unpumped engine just can't draw enought fuel and it will go lean and quit.

3rd To answer rfmulling. The Saito 65 will fly the plane, but not very well for 3d. We have 4 of these at our field, 2 with OS FS70 one with a Magnum 70 and one with a Saito 72. All three engines will hover the plane but not with great pullout power. The Saito 72 I believe does the best by a fraction most likely due to its lighter weight than the OS or Magnum
Old 04-10-2007, 06:45 PM
joshjonesjammin

i am using a saito fa 100 in mine!!! i decided to put the tank under the wing, so what type of fule pump would yall suggest? Would the Perry Oscillating Pump work?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:59 PM
bluehawkbm

It it were me, I'd put the tank up front and save the weight of adding a pump.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 PM
JustErik

Josh,

If I were in your position, I'd use a pressurized, regulated fuel system like this one or this one. They both do essentially the same thing and both have a good reputation. The Iron Bay is a bit cheaper so being a tightwad, I'd probably try that one first.

Erik
Old 04-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Ernie Misner

Well since the 100 might be on the nose heavy side, maybe there would be some method in the madness of centering the tank weight. How far back can a pump be mounted?

Ernie
Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 AM
bluehawkbm

Actually the Saito 100 weighs about the same a many other brands 70's. For instance the OS FS-70 Surpass II weighs 20.5oz without muffler and 22.1 oz with muffler. The Saito FA-100 weighs 20.9 oz and I believe that is without muffler. Saito is the power to weight ratio king.

I'm pretty sure the plane will balance fine with the Saito 100 with the fuel tank in the nose. Keep in mind that this is a 3D plane and although the Saito 100 with be crazy powerful and have plenty of it to carry the extra weight of a fuel pump you still want to keep the plane a light as possible and it will perform 3D flight better.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 AM
JustErik

Ernie,

I don't know if your question is directed at me, but I'll comment nonetheless. The Cline and Iron Bay units linked above are not pumps. They make use of crankcase or muffler pressure to pressurize the fuel tank in the same manner a YS engine does. The regulator then shoots a load of fuel when it receives a pressure pulse from the carb via it's normal atmospheric suction. The end result is a system that allows you to place the tank virtually anywhere you want exactly like the YS system. These units in essence turn any engine into a YS-style engine.

I don't have any experience with pumps, but from what I understand there are a couple different varieties. One makes use of crankcase pressure and one actually uses the engine vibration to oscillate a diaphragm that pumps the fuel. I may be missing some important details and I'm certainly not qualified to compare and contrast the various options, but since I've used the Cline unit before on a Webra 1.20 and found it to be very reliable and easy to operate, I figured I'd throw out some thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.