Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Old 04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
joshjonesjammin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!! Right now i have the cg at 4.75 with the tank under the wing and the battery as far back as i can put it under the elavator. If i were to put the tank up front it would make it quite nose heavy full of fuel. Right now when i fell the tank the cg should not change at all. I dont understand why i have to put my battery back so far when my motor is lighter than the os 70 surpass. the saito fa 100 is only 20.9 with muffler!!! i am using the hi tec 225mg and have added no extras. It could be the bigger prop (APC 16x4 wide) and spinner.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
joshjonesjammin

And buy the way, what kind of weight are yall coming out at ready to fly (full of fuel and everything)?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:37 PM
JustErik

Josh,

I suspect the plane was designed to fly with any of the lighter .46-size engines, which typically weigh in around 16 or 17 ounces. When we put an extra 3 to 6 ounces on the nose, it's hard not to come out a bit nose heavy. My Reactor, with a YS .63, Futaba 9650's in the tail and Hitec 5245's in the wing, weighs about 5.6 pounds (5 pounds, 10 ounces). I had to mount my battery right behind the canopy to get the plane to balance at the very front of the recommended range. I'm prepared to shuffle it around a bit more should I decide to move the CG back. Honestly, adding tail weight is not that big a deal to me. Given the leverage, it takes relatively little weight to move the CG back. When you're tail heavy, however, it usually takes exponentially more nose weight to move the CG forward. I'll take nose heavy with a bit of tail weight any day.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks Erik!

Now since regulators use a check valve in the crankcase (or muffler), they can still give good pressure, although they are not technically a pump.... right?

Thanks again,

Ernie
Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 PM
JustErik

You got it, Ernie. I completely forgot to mention the check valve. The Cline unit uses one for sure and I'm almost certain the Iron Bay unit does as well. I also forgot to mention the weight. The whole thing, including regulator, check valve and a couple of t-fittings is less than one ounce. The regulator alone is 17 grams and is supposed to be located as close to the carb as possible, so it adds a tiny bit of nose weight. The check valve and t's can go where ever it's convenient.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Ernie Misner

>>>You got it, Ernie. I completely forgot to mention the check valve. The Cline unit uses one for sure and I'm almost certain the Iron Bay unit does as well. I also forgot to mention the weight. The whole thing, including regulator, check valve and a couple of t-fittings is less than one ounce. The regulator alone is 17 grams and is supposed to be located as close to the carb as possible, so it adds a tiny bit of nose weight. The check valve and t's can go where ever it's convenient. >>>

Dang Erik, you got me interested in the Cline regulator all over again. It's just a matter of time until I have one I guess. What's the downsides, anything? Cost, maintainance, etc.? Oh, and on small 40 size planes, where to find a place to mount it?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-13-2007, 02:15 PM
JustErik

Ernie,

I guess the biggest downside is that it's one more thing to go wrong. Fortunately, the typical glow engine is fairly straightforward to run and troubleshoot so I imagine the incremental risk of failure is minimal. And yes, it's kinda expensive. Heck, the Cline unit costs more than some of the cheap .46 size engines out there. I guess ultimatley it's a perosnal decision, but for someone who likes to tinker and experiment with new things, it's probably worth the time and money.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Got my Reactor done and all ready to fly. Just waiting on weather. It looks great now that it's all put together. No surprizes in the build. I like the way the hatch comes off the bottom. It makes for really easy access. Nice! [8D] Anymore flight reports out there? The manual shows the CG at 4 3/4". Anyone found it to work better with the CG further aft?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Buka

hi all

i am thinking of getting this airframe and use a saito 82 ... i am quite experienced with 3d and pattern flying ... i wanted to ask does this model actualy benefit from digital servos ... i am thinking of using cs-35 from hobico ...

any comments about the setup would be great
Old 04-20-2007, 06:28 PM
ltsprinter

Are the people that are building the reactor the instructions call for mini servos in the wing but is there enough there to cut out for a full size servo?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:40 PM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: ltsprinter

Are the people that are building the reactor the instructions call for mini servos in the wing but is there enough there to cut out for a full size servo?
Yes, I think there is. The manual lists standard servos as alternatives, which must mean that all the openings will accept them with a little modification.

In other news, I finally FINALLY FINALLY maidened my Reactor today. I got in two flights and my first impressions are really good. As others have noted, there is a tenency for nose over, but because I was ready for it, I had no problem keeping the tail planted. I used lots of up elevator and tried to keep the engine running at a high idle when taxiing to maximize airflow over the tail.

After lining it up, I advanced the throttle slowly and it was airborne long before I reached full power. It took a little up elevator and left aileron (if I recall) to trim it out. After that, I started to breath again. I took it upstairs and spent a little time getting acquainted with its stall characteristics. It's very progressive and smooth. Inverted flight required a bit of down elevator, so I suspect it may be a little nose heavy for my taste. I think I'll move the CG back a bit and see how it does.....this will probably allow me to take out the up trim. I also need to laterally balance the palne, which migh help the left trim. The YS performed well and was reliable throughout both flights. It's running a bit rich, but seeing as this is my first 4-stroke, I'm planning to take my time and not do too much tweaking. The engine was purchased used and the prior owner said it was set up very reliably, which has proven to be the case. As I get a bit more comfortable with the engine and the plane, I'll see if I can refine the tuning.

Anyway, after doing a bit of messing around, I flew a few low and slow passes to see what it looked and felt like when setting up to land. After a few passes, I eased back the throttle and greased in the first landing. Yippee! I really hope it's the plane and not my thumbs, because I'm not sure my thumbs will be able to do it every time. The second flight was much like the first and ended in another very greasy landing. Daylight was fast fading so I had to pack it up. After a few more flights, I should be able to give a bit more detailed assessment.

This plane has been hanging on the wall, ready to fly for over 2 months! I'm glad to have finally gotten it in the air.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:10 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

Congratulations Erik! It's about time!

I have gotten several more flights on my Reactor and I like it more each time. Very smooth and quick. The YS .63 seems to be the perfect power plant for this plane.

As for the minor issue with taxiing, I have found that holding full "3-D rate" elevator during taxi works well. Just remember to set your rate-switch back before takeoff! :O
Old 04-21-2007, 08:29 AM
rclement

Well, I almost maidened mine the other day. I got it to the field and all set to go anyway. Did some tweeking to tune the engine and did a range check. By that time a bad thunder storm came through and that was it for the day. Here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93280.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	669172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34733.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	669173  
Old 04-21-2007, 09:17 PM
zeng62

I put my REACTOR through an unintensional stress and flutter test, the throttle came unhooked and I got to fly it full throttle for about 5 miniutes.
Keep in mine I am using a Tower Hobbies 75, the prop is a 12 1/4 X 3 3/4 APC probably turning 16000 RPM's.
NO FLUTTER AND NO PROBLEMS AND THE AIRPLANE FLEW VERY WELL, I don't recomend doing full bore flight if you can help it though.
GSM
Old 04-21-2007, 11:56 PM
rclement

WoW! I'm glad you were able to save it. That sounds like more testing than I want to do. I was wondering though, the prop seems a little small. I use that size on an OS 46 AX.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:23 AM
zeng62

I don't use full throttle except verticle or flat spin manuvers.
I use that prop because it's flat pitch helps to not overspeed the airframe and it gives instant throttle response.
It is easier to control hover type manuvers for me also.
GSM
Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 AM
rclement

ORIGINAL: zeng62

I don't use full throttle except verticle or flat spin manuvers.
I use that prop because it's flat pitch helps to not overspeed the airframe and it gives instant throttle response.
It is easier to control hover type manuvers for me also.
GSM
Cool! Glad to hear that one works on that engine. That's good to know.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Ernie Misner

Heeey guys, way to go Erik on FINALLY getting her into the air!

Nice pictures Rob! It sounds like the CG recommended in the book is a bit too far foreward for most 3D fliers tastes. I guess I'll plan on starting out further back.

Erik, what was your fix on the gear? Bluehawks rotating foreward or Rob's reversing the gear?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-24-2007, 02:58 PM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Heeey guys, way to go Erik on FINALLY getting her into the air!

Nice pictures Rob! It sounds like the CG recommended in the book is a bit too far foreward for most 3D fliers tastes. I guess I'll plan on starting out further back.

Erik, what was your fix on the gear? Bluehawks rotating foreward or Rob's reversing the gear?

Thanks,

Ernie
Thanks Ernie. Unless and until the gear cause too many nose overs, I'll leave them as they are. I really like the swept back look. I also think that as I inch the CG rearward, the tendency to nose over will decrease. I really didn't have any problem as long as I held in lots of elevator. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will work OK as ii is. Also, recall that I used 2.5 inch wheels instead of the supplied ones. They were a snug fit in the pants, but didn't require any mods. Maybe this had something to do with my results.

What the status on your plane? I don't recall whether you've flown it yet or not.

Eik
Old 04-24-2007, 03:05 PM
rclement

I gotta re-think mine. Way to tippy for me and the field I fly off of. I'm going to look into moving the battery around and see what I can get.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:54 PM
zeng62

I just got back from the field after moving the gear to point forward, it works great and still looks good, the wheel pants still work just as well.
GSM
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM
ltsprinter

I finally got my reactor, and I am putting a O.S. .70 4-stroke on it and was wondering what prop you guys would suggest on it.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:16 PM
nanu

Has anyone had any issue with the tank position vs the position of the saito 82? I seem to flood the carb too easily.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:34 AM
joshjonesjammin

whats up guys!!! I have a couple of quick questions for yall!![8D]. First, What kind of weight are yall coming out at without gas in your plane and is this weight good for 3D? And also, the suggested weight range that Great Planes gives you, is that with or without gas in the plane? And finally, what is the best cg spot for 3D? I heard that you want it further aft thatn the recommendations. Any help is greatly apperciated!!!
Thanks, Josh
Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 AM
rclement

ORIGINAL: nanu

Has anyone had any issue with the tank position vs the position of the saito 82? I seem to flood the carb too easily.
Yeah, mine seems to drip fuel as it's sitting there on the table. I haven't looked into a solution yet. One thing that might help is to put, the fuel line to the carb, into a loop. I've tried that on the U Can Do and it's seems to help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.