Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

SantiagoReg Metropolitana, Providencia, CHILE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

any updates?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I got mine in the air for the first time yesterday. I put an OS 46FX on it and it flys very well. It is very smooth and predictable. However, it is not 3D capable with this engine. Now I do have standard size servos in the tail (3) and I had to put a weighted prop nut on the front to balance it so it may weigh a little more than it should but I have not weighed it.

Craig

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craig,

Thanks for the flight report. What is your all up weight? How much did you have to add to the nose?
    \"Toy airplanes are for people with more money than sense.\"
    - My Ex-wife

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, we had a gorgeous weekend here in Seattle-- and I got the chance to maiden the Reactor!

First of all, WOW! This plane is "locked-in" like you cannot believe. As smooth-- if not more-so-- than my VenusII! Didn't have a chance to try all-out 3D, but I guess that I am getting ahead of myself...

First of all, I had to mount my 5-cell 1400 mAh pack in the VERY BACK of the hatch area! Even here, with the RX also in the rear, it barely balances at the recommended point. I guess that since my tank is on the C.G. this is fine. I didn't get a chance to weigh the complete airframe.

I ran a few tanks of YS 20/20 through the .63 (full-throttle runs, 3-4 minutes each and 5 minute cool-down in between). After this, I was able to get a very reasonable idle. I was running an APC 11-7 (which was recommended for break-in) and, unfortunately, I forgot my "flying-prop" at home. I was almost worried that the 11-7 wouldn't get the plane off the ground. Boy, was I wrong!

Still very rich, and running the too-small APC, I opened-up the throttle and watched the plane race down the runway. It easily took to the air and required only a small amount of trim to fly straight as an arrow. And that is exactly what it felt like I was flying! The YS .63 is plenty of power for this airframe-- it was unlimited even as rich (and under-propped) as it was! Roll-rate, as anybody who has seen the size of the ailerons will guess, was like a drill... on low-rates! Snaps were quick and felt like they stopped immediately on releasing the controls. Made a few knife-edge passes-- required very little rudder and almost no coupling! I pulled the plane into a hover-- fully expecting the plane to fall-out almost immediately with that tiny prop-- and it was rock solid! Probably easier to hover than my U-Can-Do!

First landing was an absolute breeze. The plane is very "slippery" (again, probably due to the thin airfoil), but I was still able to slow enough for an easy landing (even at the fast idle of the still-new Y.S.).

With all this well-deserved praise, I have to mention the one minor problem that I had: the plane has a tendency to nose-over on taxi and landing. It never *actually* nosed-over, but I had to catch it a few times (and I had to hold full-up elevator-- on high-rates-- to keep the tail on the ground). Note that I am flying off grass.

This minor issue aside, I highly recommend the plane! Everybody liked the look of the plane (color and shape), and loved the way it flew! I am looking forward to putting a "real" prop on and seeing what else it can do.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

can the reactor be a good pattern airplane or second plane (on low rates). im planning to get the venus 46 as second plane but if the reactor will fly smoother on low rate then its reactor for me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cmala3

Well, I got mine in the air for the first time yesterday. I put an OS 46FX on it and it flys very well. It is very smooth and predictable. However, it is not 3D capable with this engine. Now I do have standard size servos in the tail (3) and I had to put a weighted prop nut on the front to balance it so it may weigh a little more than it should but I have not weighed it.

Craig
    craig,

could you please post a pict of the reactor with OS 46... im planning to use the 46AX. thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great report, Robert! I'm very enthused by it. My battery and RX are also going fully to the rear of the radio compartment in order to get the right balance point. I fly off grass as well, so knowing about the nose-over tendency is important for me. I'm getting very close to finishing mine, but have no idea when I'll get to maiden it. IF you get more time on it, please check back in with more details.

Erik
    - My Ex-wife

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craig and others who have used standard size servos..... was there enough meat to successfully open up the holes, or did you have to make any structural mods to get the openings that big?????? What about the aileron servo cutouts also? My standard servos are Hitec 475's, 1.4 oz., so probably not as big as some.

Thanks loads,

Ernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ernie,

All the servo openings on the plane are sized to fit the Futaba 9650 perfectly. It should be a simple matter to compare the dimensions of the 9650 to your servos to determine how much cutting you will have to do. The manual shows what side of the servo openings to "relieve" should you need to do so. Finally, standard size servos are listed in the manual, so it seems reasonable to conclude that there is enough meat in the servo openings for standard size servos.
    - My Ex-wife

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Erik. You are on the ball. That's what I was hoping to hear because of my budget. Maybe Craig will confirm that after doing the cuttin'....

Ernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well guys I got to maiden mine saturday in pretty windy conditions. This one is a keeper. I have a new magnum 70FS on mine and even running rich it had plenty of hover power although trying to hover in that much wind was a challenge for me. I would be hard for me to say how it lands because I was landing into the wind and it came in pretty much like a harrier landing. My plane was going to be a littlle tail heavy using the magnum 70 even with everything shoved as far back as possible, so I cut the covering at the last hole in the bottom of the fuse and stuck the battery all the way back to the servos in the tail. I stuffed some foam around it and glued a scrap of balsa sheet in the last former to keep it in place and patched the hole with yellow monokote. She then balanced at the recomended spot. As others mentioned mine had a tendency to want to nose over on the ground. I tried turning the gear the opposite way and then she wouldn't leave the ground until I hit a hump in the runway. Seeing that was not working I slightly modified my landing gear. I used the original outside holes for the gear and drilled new ones for the inside holes right in front of the original holes. The holes almost touch. This positions the gear farther forward. The axles are now almost in line with the leading edge of the wing as they should be. You do have to slighly grind a little in the front of the slot where the gear goes in with a dremel tool to be able to rotate the gear. Also the wheels will be toed in. So I just took the wheels off and bent the gear at the axle holes so that the wheels whould be straight. I havent flown the plane since this modification but believe that it will solve the only probem I had.
    You guys are gonna love this plane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will try to get a picture of my engine mount but I just mounted it the way the manual stated to. I took the engine and rotated it (sitting in the plane) 45 degrees to the right.

As far as the servos go, I used Futaba S3151's in the rear and I had plenty of meat if you relieve the holes where the manual says to. I just used an xacto knife and opened it up a little at a time till the servo would fit in.

I have not weighed my completed plane and I don't know the weight of the large brass prop nut that I used but it was enough to balance the plane. I may try to move the battery pack more forward like under/over the fuel tank and try to reduce the prop nut weight.

I flew off of asphalt so I didn't experience any tipping on taxi but I had planned on flying off of grass so I changed the wheels to 2 3/4". I am going to change them back to stock and put the wheel pants on since I will be flying off of asphalt now. I also had to move my antenna out of the plane because I was getting interference with it running inside parallel to the three rear servo leads.

It will probably be at least a few weeks before I can get it out again.

My only complaint about the plane is the way they have you install the radio system. You have to cut the covering under the canopy and then install the radio and then iron back the covering. I don't know why they did this when they gave the cool magnetic panel on the bottom of the plane. I am going to have to get a piece of balsa and cover it with some black covering and make a removable access panel under the canopy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cmala3,
    Why didnt you just put the receiver under the magnetic hatch. There is plenty of room since all rudder and elevator servos are in the tail. I believe the instrucions called to install it that way if you go with an electric setup. Then all that room will be used by the flight pack battery. When I build a plane my I put things where they work out best for the balance of the plane and for my convience.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I Have a reactor, ordered 9650 servos all around.I need to know what motor I SHOULD GET,(don't want to add any extra pounds). Whats lighter a saito 82 or a ys 63?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Darin,

Congrats on your purchase! As near as I can tell, the .63 and the .82 are within a few grams of one another. I've read that the YS makes a bit more power but that the Saito can be less troublesome to tune. The YS allows tank placement on the CG, so that another factor to consider. You can achieve the same thing with the Saito if you get a Cline or Iron Bay regulator, but that will set you back another $45 to $60 or so. It all comes down to what's important to you, I suppose.

Hope this helps,

Erik
    - My Ex-wife

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Erik how hard are they to tune? I read some gaskets need to be replaced right away? Just curious on ys reliability?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Darin,

I'm afraid I'm brand new to them as well. I have a one that is brand new, in the box, and another one purchased used, already set up and running perfectly. The used one is going in my Reactor. I enjoy tinkering with engines in general, so I don't mind if there is a learning curve involving the YS engines. To me, it's just another facet of the hobby. Besides, there is a wealth of knowledge here and at other discussion forums on the web, so I'm confident I can resolve whatever issues arise. I know that doesn't answer your question, but that's all I can offer.

Erik
    - My Ex-wife

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Erik, I'm leaning towards the ys, buying each item piece by piece. Bought everything from tower. Won't have everything till March. Will build it then. I have time to decide.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a great way to proceed! IT gives you lots of time to consider components and think about how you want to proceed. Heck, even though mine is nearly finished, I probably won't get to fly it for several more weeks. You might even get yours in the air before me. Keep us posted on your progress.

Erik
    - My Ex-wife

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RcDarin,

I have no experience with the YS 63 but I do have a 82 Saito on a ModelTech Magic Formula 3D, which is a larger, heavier plane and the Saito 82 with a 15x4 prop hovers it great. You would have great vertical perforance with that engine on the Reactor. I have a 70 magnum on my Reactor which I test flew saturday and it did well. I used this engine on the Reactor because I already had it. But I would much rather have the Saito 82 which is more powerful and lighter than the Magnum 70. Just my obinion but I am a Saito fan.
    For your info if you go with the Saito the engine comes set very rich on the low end needle. After a couple of tanks start leaning the low end. When you get it right it is as smooth a engine as I ever seen.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was a saito fan also..,untill I got a ys-63 ! U can`t beat this engine,I think even saito knew this, they now have just come out with a .62 four stroke as well ! I run a apc 13x6, tried a 13x4 but that cuts out mid-range, the engine is so pwerful, that it spools it up too fast. I hover a half throtle,have un-limeted vertical, I don`t think U can get a better engine in this class.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll second the vote for the YS. I by no means consider myself and expert on engines, but it just isn't that difficult to tune a YS! When I broke-in my .63 last weekend I never even touched the low-end adjustment. Set the high-end as the instructions said (2 1/2 turns out), ran a few tanks through it at full-throttle (on the ground and in 3 minute bursts, leaning the high-end a little as I went... still plenty of smoke). Flew on the third tank-- absolutely flawless!

What could be easier?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cmala3, I'm also very interested in seeing what your engine mounting ended up looking like. Please post some pictures when you can. I've got a .46 AX and am really considering putting it on a Reactor and I'm wondering if a MACs muffler or Slimline Pitts will fit without too much hacking.

Thanks!

After looking at the servo specs (and my wallet), and reading what folks are saying in both threads about how their balance came out with various setups I think I'll be going with Hitec HS-225BB servos. Here's how they compare:

Servos: Futaba S9650 (Tower FUTM0260) recommended for all surfaces
    Specs: 35.5mm L x 15mm W x 28.6mm H
    50 oz-in @ 4.8v, 62.5 oz-in @ 6.0v
    .14 sec/60 deg @ 4.8V, .11 sec/60 deg @ 4.8V
    0.9 oz, 26 g
    $54.99

Alternates
    Hitec HS-225BB (Tower LXN664)
    Specs: 32mm L x 17mm W x 31mm H
    54 oz-in @ 4.8v, 67 oz-in @ 6.0v
    .14 sec/60 deg @ 4.8V, .11 sec/60 deg @ 4.8V
    0.95 oz, 27 g (HS-255MG = 1.09 oz, 31 g)
    $20.99 BB, $27.99 MG

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll try to take a couple of pictures tonight. I ended up cutting away most of the cowling around the engine but, oh well. I have been considering purchasing a 4-stroke for this plane but I haven't decided yet on the saito 82 or the ys 63. It looks like the Saito is eaiser to get right now than the YS. I'll buy a new cowl if I get a FS engine. I want enough power to work on 3D stuff with this plane and the 46FX isn't going to cut it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom,

I'm a big fan of the HS-225 servo. On 6 volts, it's fast and strong. In fact, I nearly chose them for my Reactor. I've read, however, that they tend to have trouble centering consistently. Since I'm trying to really learn to fly with more precision, I opted for better quality digital servos. For general sport use, I think the 225 is a great choice for this plane.

Erik
    - My Ex-wife

Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast