Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

My new Wild Hare Edge 540T first gasser

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

My new Wild Hare Edge 540T first gasser

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 06:08 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Wild Hare Edge 540T first gasser

I have been working on a Wild Hare Edge 540T for some time now. I bought the plane back in January and just last night got finished with it. For this plane I figured I was in no hurry and that I would buy each part little buy little and trying to spend as little as possible. I sold a plane and a few other things that I didn't need anymore to build up some money for this plane. I did a few side jobs mostly for my neighbor but eventually came up with enough money to buy what I needed. Grant it I could of went out and but everything all at once but I wanted to spend as little as possible buy removing what I didn't need any more. Plus it was much easier to sneak in parts here and there without the wife asking a million questions.

I choose the Wild Hare for one the cost was very reasonable. Next I haven't really seem many of them around nor heard many people talk about them on here. There ares some posts but not very many. I wanted something different and was willing to give it a shot. Well here is what I used on my Wild Hare.

When I got the plane in the mail I was very excited to open the box and check it out. Going over the parts I was very impressed with the built and the finish. I looked over the joints and everything looked nice and flush, everything looked to be glued well and a nice tight fit. The covering job was well done with very few wrinkles on one wing. But find this in many ARF's I have built. A little heat gun the the wrinkles were gone. The fuse right off felt fairly light when I held it and had a nice stiff fell to it. It was well built and no weak spots to be found.

I used everything it came with except the landing gear wing tube and rear spar. They were nice and all but to me seemed very heavy. Mainly the gear and wing tube. I went ahead and ordered carbon fiber ones to replace them. There is a very noticeable difference between the two. They were much much lighter plus looked good to. Well the gear did since that is the only one you will be seeing once all put together. I did noticed that with the carbon fiber wing tube it was very tight to slide the wings on and off. I used baby power to help slide them on and off. It helped a good bit with the stiffness. I think after a few times of the engine running and vibrating the tube will fit into the wings easier.

Oh I forgot but I ended up using the DUBRO control horns set up instead of the screws it came with. I did not like that at all. It was simply a screw going into the control surface and a tab at the end for the clevis to attach. The DUBROS look much better and I am sure have more support at the base.

As for the power plant I wanted something different. I seen just about all brands run and there many many good ones out there. Then again there are some that plain out make my arm hurt watching someone try to crank them up. At first I was going to go with the DA since it was light and some of the guys at our club had good luck with them. The other guys DA's spent more time in the air in shipping back in forth to the company than they did in the plane. So I changed my mind on that one.

Then I seen the Evolution 58 which caught my eye. I searched around and did not find much on this engine at the time but it was still fairly new when i decided to go with it. I seen that claimed 8.5 HP liked that idea. Now whether it has that or not I don't know. I figured I would be different and give it a shot. Plus no one at our club has one so I like that idea as well. When I got the engine I was really impressed on the finish and it looked really clean cut the the blue anodized parts made it really stand out. Then I needed some stand offs and seen they had matching blue anodized stand offs for it also so I went ahead and grabbed them. The blue color does not match exactly but it still looks really good all complete.

For the muffler I looked around and was going to use the canister EVO muffler set up. But that would require me to do some modifications and I really didn't want to cut up a new plane. So instead I got the EVO pitts muffler to go with it. It came in a nice shinny package and the finish was nice black color with the Evo logo on side. I was happy with that.

For the batteries I went with 2500 NiMih 4.6 for the ignition and 60 for the servos. I think this will be enough because I usually only fly twice when I am at the field. I spend the rest of the time running my mouth telling lies and cutting up with the guys...lol

The servos I was originally going to use HS-5985MG with 172 oz. in torque. Those replaced the 5995 which I had used before and they worked really well. But that was the new one they sell now and it was on back order. So I looked and see then HS-5995TG for only $10 more and figured I couldn't go wrong there. Plus they have about twice the torque @333 oz. and with titanium gears. I went ahead and ordered them instead and got them right away and didn't have to wait for them to be released. For the throttle and choke I went with the mini HS-25MG's. A friend of mine used those in his Yak and was really please with them. They are small and weigh much lighter than standard servos which thats what I was going to use. I'm glad I choose these instead plus they have the torque of a standard servo.

I haven't weighed it yet so I not sure how much it is yet. But I will do that just to see where I am at with my set up.

Well today was the day to do my maiden flight. I got out to the field got it all fueled up and was ready to crank the engine for the first time. I haven't even turned it over so I had no idea what it was going to do. One thing I knew I was hoping like crazy this was not going to be one of those arm exercising engines. I choked the engine flipped over then was ready to start. I took the choke off and flipped over a few times. The flipped more. I must have flipped the dang thing about 30 times then gave up. Arm hurt. I came back to start over and try again. I turned the ignition off and went to choke again. I flipped it over and POP! I turned off the choke and flipped again and it cranked right up. Come to find out when I mounted my switch for the ignition I put the ON/OFF tag back wards...OOOPS!

Anyways once the engine was running after my little mistake it ran perfectly. It did not stall one time, transitioned to full throttle instantly. It kind of reminded me of my YS on how fast the throttle response was. The Idle was very nice and low and consistent. I just ran with the factory settings it came with and it ran great. It had a nice little rich smoke trail blowing behind it. We put a tach on it just to see what it was turning and it came out to be 6575 with a plain ole Zinger 24x8. Thats the only prop I could get from the hobby shop when I was up there this week. I planned to order a Menz but I didn't think it would of got here in time to have for the weekend. So the Zinger will do for now.

Everything looked good after I did all my double checking. Range check was good and I was all set to fly. Then it started raining so no flying for today. Oh well I will try it out tomorrow.

I am really excited to get this bird into the air and hopefully had some useful info on this plane for those who have it.

Oh by the way I had a much more detailed post but when to cut and paste the names of the servos I messed up and lost it all. This is my second time typing this so if anything looks off the wall bare with me..lol

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73355.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	498739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11458.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	498740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89954.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	498741  
Old 07-29-2006, 06:10 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Default RE: My new Wild Hare Edge 540T first gasser

few more pics

Name:	He97169.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	498743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27142.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	498744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65914.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	498745  
Old 07-29-2006, 06:50 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool story and a very nice and clean setup. The only question I have is the carbon fiber plate. Are the Edge's coming with that now or is that something you added?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FlooredCOBRA

Oh I forgot but I ended up using the DUBRO control horns set up instead of the screws it came with. I did not like that at all. It was simply a screw going into the control surface and a tab at the end for the clevis to attach. The DUBROS look much better and I am sure have more support at the base.
Out of the entire post, this is the only part that concerns me. I'm actually glad you did not fly today. The hard points in the ailerons, rudder, and horizontal stabs are designed to use a #8 screw for the control "horn". This method will work all the way up to a much larger plane without any fear of failure. I use the same method and size in my 35% planes. I am not certain that any of the flight surfaces have enough solid stock under them to effectively hold "base mounted" control horns. I would make it an effort to check with the distributor, today, to determine if your horns will remain attached under flight loads.

You did a very pretty job on the fuel line at the top of the tank. Would it be possible to remove some of the excess to lighten the nose just a bit and still have enough to make the desired loops?

Good job on both the plane and the post.

Pat
Old 07-29-2006, 07:42 PM
FlooredCOBRA

The carbon fiber servo tray is something I did. Its not real if you look at it closer. I used one of those sheets and cut it out to go around the servo tray. I was just trying to make it look different. Mostly aggravate a guy at the club as a joke. I told him I had it special ordered and made for my plane.

As for the screws I am not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean the actual inner support inside the control surface? On the dubros they are the same as what comes with the plane except it has the base part to screw on to them. I did still screw them into the surface as normal. I could actually not use the base parts and it would hold. So its not relying on squeezing the base mount to the other side of the surface. It is screwed is as well as the base mount part tightened down. Just a little something extra to ease my mind. I don't think they will come off. At least I hope not.

My fuel lines are not really all that long. The one going outside the fuse is because that is my fill line. I left a little extra so I can pull it and be easier to work with to attch to fuel pump line. The others I just looped them around so it looks like one continuous line. I did add an extra one from a vent from the top of the carb. The directions mentioned it was optional so it would work either way. That is the other line that loops around on top of the tank. There is no fuel inside of it just air. I could cut away some fuel lines but i made them the length as the directions said to. I really don't think i would be able to tell if i cut away some to lighten nose since the nose is so close to the CG. The only way I would be able to tell is if i put on a scale and weighed it with and without the extra fuel tubing. Tubing really don't weigh all that much.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Tired Old Man

Would you mind posting a picture of the control horn top and bottom? I don't want to be a bore, but I do want to see you experience success without unneeded concern. If you don't have it there already, use 5-1/2" for the C/G refernece.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:57 PM
tuwood

Looks like a good setup. I can't believe it wouldn't start with the ignition off. darn engines...

The only thing I'd be curious on the others' opinions; Is it ok to run the spark plug wire through the muffler like that? On my 30% I made it a point to keep the plug wire away from the muffler, but I'll admit I don't know if it's necessary.
Just curious.

Good luck on the maiden & I like the CF look inside. It makes it look lighter.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Tired Old Man

I was just looking at that, too, but I can't see where else he can get it to go without an issue with the muffler. If the engine suddenly stops he'll know why, but the W/H Edge glides extremely well.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:14 AM
FlooredCOBRA

I know what you mean about the plug wire. One of the guys at the field mentioned the same thing. I was going to put a peice of fuel tubing around the wire where the stacks are at. I was hoping to get away with that or should I route around the stacks?

Here are some pictures of my control horn set up. The screw used is an allen head screw instead of the philllips head screw and the diameter and thread are the same. The allen screw is screwed into the control surface like the original set up would of been. I could actually remove the cone base part and it would work fine. I just like the idea of having something a little wider at the base where the screw enters the control surface.

Name:	Cz80143.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	499096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55248.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	499097  
Old 07-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Tired Old Man

OK, now I can see and know what you were referring to. They will be just fine. The black plastic "A" nut that's on the bottom isn't really needed but makes a lot of people feel better. Same with the one on top. Most just run the #8 screw shaft and the recess the screw head, or cut the head off entirely. Thanks for the photos, enjoy that new plane!!
Old 07-30-2006, 05:13 PM
AeroDave

Man, that Evo looks sweet! Best of luck with the new bird!

Dave
Old 07-30-2006, 05:38 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cobra,

Can you tell us/me the length of the standoffs you used on the engine. I am going to pull the plug on this plane/engine combo in about a week so I'm curious
Old 07-30-2006, 07:00 PM
FlooredCOBRA

The stands off were 50mm. I think. I will double check when I pull the cowl back off.

Well I just got back home from my maiden flight. I got to field fueled up primed up and a few flips the engine cranked right up. I love the sound of that thing! I taxed out to runway, lined up and started to ease the throttle. Before I could get to half throttle it lifted off the ground and started upward. I 3 clicks right aileron and it flew nice and level.

I made a few laps just getting the feel for it on low and high rates no maneuvers. I had may dual rates pretty much dead on so it felt the same on low or high rates just making laps. I pulled a little extra in a turn on high rates and no snap. That I liked. I leveled off and went to idle to see how it would do. Nice slow and straight no wing drop and still had control at idle barely moving.

I continued to make normal laps trying out different throttle positions. The response was instant and it pulled it along so easily. I found myself flying at just under 1/4 throttle to just under 1/2 throttle. Vertical at full was awesome. I wont be having a problem with hovering so looking forward to trying that out later.

So here comes the good part. I flew around and flipped to high rates. Did a few rolls. I found I was just a tad nose heavy than what I prefer. No bigger I can adjust that next time. Rolls were nice and clean. I tried a loop and had no roll out at the end. I was pleased to see that. I have had planes do that before and it can be annoying. Inverted required a little down but Like I said I can fix that by moving the CG. I attempted to a blender cause that was one of my most favorite moves with my Yellow Aircraft Edge. I wanted to see how this one would do. As I entered it I had a brain fart and gave opposite aileron and it went right into a flat spin. Kind of ugly but the flat spin was nice and flat. It recovered in about a half a roll and was nice and predictable.

At this time I was pretty happy with the set up. Engine ran nice plane flew awesome from what very little I did. I turned around and was about to go vertical when I heard a weird pop sound. The engine had stalled. Not good due to where it stalled at plus it was a new plane. I was a nervous wreck. I quickly gain some airspeed and made turned around to line up with the runway. As the plane flew past me I noticed the prop was turning. So in the middle of my panic thoughts flew through my head why. Did something break in the engine. Did props bolts all break, Did the con. rod break. Then my thoughts went back to flying. It came in nice and level but my runway was running out. It settled down and started rolling along. And rolling. And rolling. And rolling. And rolling. It went off the end and smashed into some small trees.

It seems every time I have a new plane something always happens to it to take away the newness. I have yet to have a plane that I got brand new and flew for a while before a small ding or mishap. It can be dropping a screwdriver into the wing or plane falling off the table. It never fails something always happens. I don't mind crashing a plane by me loosing control or getting to cocky and just plain out messing up. But to have a fail cause a plane to go in is a horrible aggravating feeling.

After I pulled the plane out of the trees and removed a treed out of the middle of my wing I carried it back to the tent. Doing the walk of shame. One my my friends noticed that my plug wire was hanging off. Come to find out my entire spark plug had unscrewed itself during my flight. That was the reason it stalled out. Funny thing is after my first runs on the ground I checked every single bolts screw washer on the entire plane except the spark plug. I learned something today may of been the hard way but I bet I wont forget that again.

Anyways here are some pics. Thought I would share my nice work. The fuse I am going to fix. The wings I am going to order new ones then fix try to fix the ones I have. Maybe keep those as extras just in case. I need to order a new wing tube seeing it snapped right in two. No I wonder what would of happened if I would of left the metal one in. Would it of kept my wings straight and just damage them or rip the whole tube down the fuse. Who knows. I think I maxed out my "what if" for the day.

Name:	Ki20455.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	499351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp45987.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	499352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98699.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	499353  
Old 07-30-2006, 07:03 PM
FlooredCOBRA

last three

Name:	Wu59493.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	499354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69254.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	499355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20748.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	499356  
Old 07-30-2006, 07:07 PM
matt3D

Cool airplane and post, let us know how you like it once you get it in the air, because I'm lookn for a first gasser. How much did your setup cost w/o the radio?

Matt
Old 07-30-2006, 07:10 PM
matt3D

Oh snaps, hehe you just posted, sorry for the crash.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Tired Old Man

Ouch!! Really sorry to see how the day turned out, but at least you have a good attitude about it. Regarding the comparison between the C/F tube and the aluminum, the end result would not have been much different. The aluminum tube would have severly bent, causing about the same amount of damage. You would not have been able to get the wings off though. C/F will break long before it can deform as much as aluminum. It's a much better and stronger product for that reason alone. Tom has parts, but if he's short anything you need there are probably 50 people out there that have stuff from their crashes they would part with.

For Matt3D, you'll probably have in the area of $1,700.00 to $1,800.00 tied up if you start from scratch. Those have been fairly typical numbers going a little to either side.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:59 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Thanks for the kind words silversufer. At first I didn't have a good attitude but thats how it goes. I'm just thankful I have a great group of guys that I fly with. It didn't take long for them to get my spirits back up and forget about the plane. Thats what I enjoy the most out of this hobby is the friends. Matter fact when I go flying I usually only fly once or twice max. The rest of the time we have a great time just cutting up. Or debating back in forth about this and that.

As it looks now I just about have the fuse back together in one piece. Now I need to find out what brand Wild Hare uses so I can recover the sides. The good thing is the most damage is where the wings join. So my patch work will be under the wing and wont be as noticeable. Now for the wings thats the main reason I am buying new ones is because I cant stand to have a huge patch on a wing. On my new broken plane.

I am going to attempt to fix them just to see how it will go. It shouldn't be to bad and it will be a good little test to see if I can do it. Plus learn something so if it happens again I will have an idea how to go about it. I was just wondering what I am going to do about the foam thats crushed and missing. I done this a long time ago on a foam wing no sheeting. I just cut away the entire damaged area and found a foam that was the same as in the wing. Them epoxied it in and shaped to the wing. I am going to search and see if there is some other way to go about it.

Either way I will be flying it again. From what little flying I did today I loved it. Great plane! And for the engne thats my fault it quit, it ran great.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Tired Old Man

W/H uses Ultracote on everything. The red is True Red. I forgot what the white, blue, and yellow are. Tom will tell ya tho. The method of repair that you noted for a foam only wing is the same as a sheeted foam wing. Just cut everything to fit as tightly as possible and wherever possible with a bevel.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:04 PM
matt3D

I'm glad your going to fix it, thanks for the prices Silversurfer.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-30-2006, 10:58 PM
tuwood

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I'm glad the damage is fixable.

I have another friend who just maidened a new Wild Hare Extra with a DA engine and had the exact same thing happen. The spark plug was loose & he lost engine right after takeoff. Unfortunately he didnt' have enough altitude and it nosed in pretty bad. [:@]

Old 07-30-2006, 11:54 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man so sorry to hear about your misfortune. Not much you can do when things like that happen. I have enjoyed reading this thread and I look forward to seeing you back in the air real soon!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:04 AM
xtdsm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, she looked really perfect to crash like that. I am sorry bro, I really feel your pain. I mean your hard earned and time spent on her for just a single flight. that sucks big time. but hey, here is a fact, after a new plane becomes "not so new anymore" by dinging it then fixing it, your fear vanishes and you start to fly the hell out of her with no fear. at least this is how I feel. so now, I am sure you will fly the hell out of her and you will become a better pilot.

good luck fixing her bro.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:37 PM
FlooredCOBRA

xtdsm, You have a point there. I feel the same way after I ding a plane funny you say that.

Well I originally wanted to post about a successful flight on it and post a little about the engine what I learned so far. Its still to early to determine on the engine but so far I really like it. I think now I will post pictures on my rebuilding process as I go along. Might as well make it fun while I am doing it.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:41 PM
itspuddingtime00

That is a really nice looking plane. I saw someone flying it at my feild a few weeks back and it was awesome in the air. That crash kind of reminds me about mine last week. Second flight on my Goldberg Sukhoi and I was going to do a touch and go, then go around and land again. Well I did a nearly perfect landing, then I gave it full throttle and I was near the end of the runway about 15' up and the engine cuts. I dind't have enough speed/altitude to turn around so I had to put it down in the weeds at the end of the runway, I got lucky though and only ripped a small hole in the covering less than an inch long, on the bottom of the stab. Fixed it with some packing tape. Sorry you weren't as lucky as I was, hope you get it flying soon though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.