Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Video: Saturday at the field

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Video: Saturday at the field

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:23 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Video: Saturday at the field

[link=http://www.dodvideos.com/laborday_mikeeast_640480.wmv]Saturday goofing off with friends. [/link]

Here is a new video we made with my Friends this past Saturday, I am flying and my pal Matt is doing the videography.. The video picture quality is stunning as far as internet reproduction goes... This was a fun day with about 6 of us ripping it up. [8D]
Old 09-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Video: Saturday at the field

Nice plane... Nice flying.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:06 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some very fine work there Mike. A couple of close calls but nice recoveries.

I recognize that field from Kevins WH Edge videos. I cannot wait to get my Edge completed
Old 09-05-2006, 08:17 PM
MikeEast

Yeah. Matt, Kenny, Kevin, Bob and I are getting to be pretty regular flying buddies. Kevin and I are in about the same place in our learning so we relate pretty well to the issues we are working through. We are a good posse and fly together as much as possible.

On that rolling harrier, it never really felt that close to me. I knew I was getting close to the ground which was intentional, but I made a slight mistake right as the plane sunk in close to the ground which caused the nose to point towards me a little so I just throttled up and bailed out and started over to keep the plane from coming at me. It was pretty close, about 10' when I went vertical. Had I not mistimed the elevator input the intention was to fly straight past, business as usual. It looked pretty cool though. Matt did a great job of catching all of my uh ohs!

The knife edge pass was the other low one,, again thats just a typical day for me since I always make low HA passes like that... The only way to learn to fly low is to fly low and learn from your mistakes. I just waited too long on the throttle and so I had to roll level and fly out instead of throttleing out like the other 99 times out of 100.

Another day in the life of a 3D wannabe doing what he loves.[8D]

Oh, and that new WH Edge really is the shiznit. At first I thought it was just another review plane... but that thing is really a great 3D plane, no joke. With the 3W80CS it has plenty of power for the AUW. It flies really smoothly and 3D's great. Wild Hare finally is getting it right with these new models IMO and can hang with the big boys. I do not think it will be as good with the added nose weight of a 100CC engine unless you used a BME to keep it light.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
bubbagates

I thought about doing the BME or DA but after seeing his 3 videos, actually now 4 I believe, I bought the 80CS. All I need is the servos and I'm good to go. I had been eyeing the 28% for some time and got to fly one a couple of weeks ago and came home at hit Tom's site and there was the 33%. Well you know how that goes, it took my all of 1 second to convinve myself I was gonna get the 33% then I came across Kevin's stuff and that just sealed it for me.

I can here is in the workshop right now calling my name....
Old 09-05-2006, 08:42 PM
MikeEast

You wont regret the 80. That plane is sweet and a PERFECT match for it. Just use all of the good servo setup knowledge you have and it will be a great flyer.. BTW, he likes em' really tailheavy to get an all out 3D plane, so you might ask him where he has the CG.. I personally don't because I prefer a plane that tracks and I give a little on 3D performance. But as you can see, I don't give much. I pretty much judge the CG by how the plane handles in an inverted 45 degree upline once I have the incidence and everything right. I like a slight fade or slow descent with hands off at 1/4 throttle.. Kevin likes it to maintain the inverted 45 upline hands off or even climb a little. That is too tail heavy for my liking.. I would rather get it with throw and maintain stability and tracking.

That being said, I am considering making up a weighted stab tube so I can switch out when I want to fly 3D which seems to be alomost 100% of the time as of late. This plane is just so much fun and east to fly...
Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 PM
bubbagates

The planned setup is this

3W-80XI-CS
3W Aluminum Header
JMB Can
Hitec 5955TG servo everywhere (2 on the rudder instead of one for those pinwheels )
SWB servo arms all around
CF Main Gear
CF Wing Tube
2 2400 Fromecos into Bader Switches then into Smart-Flys SuperReg and PowerXpander
1 Fromeco 2400 for the Ignition
Smart-Fly Optical kill
Toms'Hardware kit
Kavan metal hub wheels instead of the Dubro ones that are in Toms kit (Kavans metal hubs are still 4 ounces lighter than the Dubros and are tougher than the plastic hub Kavan wheels)
PT Models 26x10
Pete's CF Spinner

Most everything is coming from TBM [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

I'm shooting for 22lbs and it should be close. I could save about 1 ounce per wing by going to the Hitec 5985's instead of the 5955's but I like overkill and not having to replace servo gears every 50 to 75 flights after they get sloppy which all other metal gear servos do. I like nice tight setups and I work hard to get my geometry correct with as little servo programming as possible

I plan on flying this beast a lot. It's not uncommon for me to get roughly 750 flights in per season total on all my planes with my favorites getting most of them. Heck my Cap is 3 months old at 100 flights, my Yak is 1 month old at 52 flights so you kinda get the idea of where I'm going.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:17 PM
MikeEast

Suggestion.

Try the hangar 9 prolinks(turnbuckles) for ALL of your pushrods. They are SO nice and they make perfecting your linearity so much easier. They cost a little more, but you are going with a 1st class setup and these guys connected to ball links are the icing on the cake. If you decide to use them think about the threading. They all are mounted laterally on the airplane so if you mount them all the same way, its easy because you turn them to same direction to lengthen/shorten. They make getting bind free linear setups a snap since you can adjust pushrod length more precisely since you are not limited to 1/2 turn adjustments and you do not have to take anything apart to adjust.. You simply turn the pushros with a small wrench to adjust length. You can get a truly silent bind free digital servo setup on all of your multi servo surfaces.

They come with the AirWild and SWB trays which are also a very worthwhile investment in multi rudder servo setups by the way. The new cable designs do not require perfect servo matching and if one servo fails, the other will seamlessly work. With 2 5955's on a 33% plane you will never even know you lost a servo unless you do a post flight inspection after every flight.

Here is the link to them at Chief.. They are also made by Rocket City and Dons Hobby in Salina Ks carries them.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...s/Hangar9.html
Old 09-05-2006, 09:52 PM
bubbagates

I was looking at Kevins pics and my plane and it looks like the elevator rods are longer than 5 inches unless I measured wrong. The wings should not be a problem

I forgot to mention I was going to use the pro-links. I use them everywhere I can.

Also, something else I learned about getting control horn heights set better. Do not cut off the heads of the 8/32 or 10/32 bolts that go through the surface (both H9 and Dubro HD horns). That way you can also get really fine adjustments on the control horns. I just counter sink them a bit them place a ppiece of matching covering over them.

I was debating which rudder servo tray to go with...
Old 09-05-2006, 09:59 PM
MikeEast

I used the SWB and got it here
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...ories/SWB.html

model SWB 26M2XSAW H which is the adjustable version with the cables. It was $140 but it sure is nice.

Something else I invested in that I REALLY like is the Powerbox's from Aircraft international. I got the 40(amp)/16(outputs) Evolution and I love it... It comes with a fail safe switch that turns on/off both packs from the same switch.. It makes setup a snap. It eliminates 2 regulators and weighs about 3 oz. No Y Harness's. Kevin is using them now too. They are $259 or so. More money I know but man are they handy.

It allows you to plug both all servos into the same output channel that are in the same service with no Y harness's or match box's and you get perfectly regulated, redundant power to everything. If you are using multiple servos on the rudder, ailerons or dual elevator servos they sure make it nice.

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Gulliver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hats off to your videographer. It really is is stunningly good.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
MikeEast

You bet![8D] Matt is a heckuva photographer and videographer and he just invested in a $3500 video camera... You can see the results. Its a 1st class video.