Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

New Nitro Planes Yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

New Nitro Planes Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:22 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Nitro Planes Yak 54

On to another subject. Does anyone out there have purchased a Nitro Planes 50 size Yak 54 (or what they call a Yak 52)?

I received mine last week and it looks very nice out of the box. The covering looks first class and without a single wrinkle. I have yet to start on the assembly but I am planning on doing so as soon as I get some of the hardware replaced with standard sizing (I don't like the metric hardware).

I am planning on installing an OS 70 Surpass 4 stroke engine, and I am concerned on the firewall size being somewhat on the thin side. I was wondering if anyone has put one of these together, and how the firewall holds to a four stroke power plant. Seems like an easy fix to reinforce the firewall since there is plenty of access when the canopy/turtle deck is removed. I rather keep the reinforcing as simple as possible since this model seems to possibly weight less than 5 to 5 ½ Lbs. all up weight at the most.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:32 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: New Nitro Planes Yak 54

Be careful, as the horizontal stab is not very strong. There is a thread on RCGroups under the 3D section. The builder had the stab fold on the second flight. It turns out the stab didn't even have gussets in the corners, etc.

You might try supporting the stab with flying wires or carbon rods.

Other than that, it looks like a nice plane. I love the lines and the covering job, and the price is nice too!
Old 10-06-2006, 03:05 PM
AirTech

Be careful, as the horizontal stab is not very strong. There is a thread on RCGroups under the 3D section. The builder had the stab fold on the second flight. It turns out the stab didn't even have gussets in the corners, etc.

You might try supporting the stab with flying wires or carbon rods.

Other than that, it looks like a nice plane. I love the lines and the covering job, and the price is nice too!

BTerry
Thank you for the heads up. I'll check the thread on the 3D section.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:30 PM
GotSky

WOW, I wish I would have found this thread. My stab folded first flight right after TAKE OFF.(RIGHT SIDE)..... I was able to recover the plane and did not take on much damage.. The OS 70 Surpass II is perfect.. I am now flying with a 13X7 APC.. The plane will hover at 3/4 throttle.. I now have flying wires on the tail with extra tri stock for support.. BE very careful the tail is very weak and should not be flown how it comes!!!!!... The fire wall is holding up fine with the engine (so FAR). The plane will snap to the side on loops if to much elevator is applied.. Inverted flat spins are very nice. Knife edge needs a bit of elevator correction. Take off is very straight with little to no rudder needed. The plane tracks straight through rolls and lands very nicely Not to fast not to slow... The fuse is built very very light and the gear could be an issue for some flying off of grass. (there is not much support). The engine offset is perfect .. Ditch the control horns and rods that come with the kit .. VERY IMPORTANT... Do not use the stock tank... It is very very weak on the seams and will split right away..
Good Luck and Happy Flying!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:36 PM
AirTech

Just completed the Nitro Yak 54. So far it looks like a winner. The overall quality is good to fair. Only negatives I found where the balsa being too soft in the ailerons, elevator and rudder. I did not found any hard points under the covering at all. The covering seems to be similar to Ultrakote, but the trim (specially the red) seems a lot inferior.

The fuselage seems to be glued properly and it's built extremely light. Mine came out at 6 Lb. 6 oz. dry, with a O.S. Surpass 70 on front end, Hitec (4) HS425BB, and one HS80 for throttle control. By placing the battery (5 cell 1400 mAh NMh) at the aft servo tray and both rudder and elevator servos in the tail, the balance is perfect at the 120cm called of in the manual.

I installed an EDR-103 Glowlite which added three (3) extra ounces to the empty weight. The Surpass 70 is a fine engine, the only problem is that when inverted it idles too fast. The Glowlite helps maintain very low RPMs when using large 13” to 14” props. The engine was mounted at 45 degrees from inverted so the muffler exits nearly in the bottom center of the engine cowl

Most of the included hardware was utilized except; The motor mount bolts were replaced with 6-32 X 1/4 bolts because I like to drill and tap the nylon engine mount and use Nylocks for extra assurance. All the horns were replaced with Robart #333 3/4" horns, and I fabricated graphite control rods (see photo) for all flying surfaces.

Now for the real test. Hope tomorrow is a nice day, so I can find out how good this little Yak really is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29211.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	544711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78282.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	544712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20176.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	544713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43475.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	544714  
Old 10-22-2006, 09:15 AM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

AirTech, I dont think you will have weather, around here, to check out your Yak for a while. The plane color scheme looks pretty sharp. Is the rudder servo located where recommended? Also, looking at where the rudder control horn is mounted, it sure doesn't look very sturdy. Hope you have good luck with the Yak.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:19 PM
AirTech

AirTech, I dont think you will have weather, around here, to check out your Yak for a while. The plane color scheme looks pretty sharp. Is the rudder servo located where recommended? Also, looking at where the rudder control horn is mounted, it sure doesn't look very sturdy. Hope you have good luck with the Yak.
Vanguard,
Yesterday was a really nice day here as you may be aware. Though I didn’t have too much success with the Yak.

It was extremely windy and at our field in Converse the wind was 90 degrees from the south at 10 to 15 miles, gusting to twenty. I decided to only taxi test the Yak. The engine fired up right away, as it usually does. The Onboard Glow driver worked great, with a very slow idle.

After a few taxi turns I decided to give it a high speed pass. Next thing, I am airborne at less than half throttle. A 20 mph gust hit me sideway and it cart wheeled breaking the nose section and the landing gear. You must be very cautious when near the ground because this plane is lightweight and extremely fragile.

I am in the rebuilding process right now and have found that most of the medium balsa is too soft and dry. The plywood is of very inferior quality and delaminates easily. Overall construction is well glued, straight, and very light. A pity the some balsa and plywood are of such low quality because the design and construction is very well though out. I am sure that it will fly very well.

FYI the rudder servo is installed at the suggested position. Even then I had to place the battery at the rear servo tray to achieve neutral CG. You are right about the rudder servo horn mount. The rudder leading edge is quite weak and there is no hardpoints to mount the horn. I am hopping for the best, and expect it to hold on at least on a slow knife edge. Time will tell.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:37 PM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

Airtech, you certainly arent having very good luck with Yak's. I was up at the field at about 1:30 or 2:00 and put a couple of flights on the WH edge. Yep is was pretty windy but the old Edge handled it pretty well. No one else there so I left around 3 or so. Maybe see you at the swap meet this week end. Guess we are setting up at around 5 on Friday night.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:23 PM
AirTech

Airtech, you certainly arent having very good luck with Yak's. I was up at the field at about 1:30 or 2:00 and put a couple of flights on the WH edge. Yep is was pretty windy but the old Edge handled it pretty well. No one else there so I left around 3 or so. Maybe see you at the swap meet this week end. Guess we are setting up at around 5 on Friday night.
I should have waited for a better day. It was too windy for such a liteweight plane. My desire to fly was bigger than my good judgement, but I'll fly again. I am almost done with the repairs.

I will see you Friday at the swap meet setup. Take care.