Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Extra 330 77" ARF?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Goldberg Extra 330 77" ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:56 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Extra 330 77" ARF?

I just ordered from Tower the big Goldberg Extra 330 and plan to put a BCMA 40cc gasser up front. Also like the Edge 540 and Yak 54 from Goldberg. Which bird you folks find to be easiest/most stable bird for 3D giggles, assuming with the BCMA 40cc up front??? My favorite moves are waterfall and low inverted passes.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:39 PM
lippucci

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Extra 330 77" ARF?

As a suggestion, before you install the tail srevos, check the CG with the 40cc up front. If the engine is about 3# you should probably use a pull-pull with the servo in the center. If near 3 1/2 # suggest you place the rudder servo in the tail. I have the same plane using a Saito 1.80 fs. Engine about 38 oz. Had to add 8 oz in the nose for a correct cg. This is one awsome aircraft. Have had about 60 flights with only one dead stick due to a loose mufler. Having so much fun with the Saito that have not replaced it with an os 1.6 which I have & can be installed without the extra nose weight. If I loose the 330 I will probably replace it with a DA 50. This engine is over 3# so I would prabably place the servo in the tail for better cg. Heard this combo wil tail slide & torque roll with ease. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Goldberg Extra 330 77" ARF?

I have the Goldberg Extra 330 with the BCMA 40cc gas engine. Perfect combination, in my opinion. Use good, strong servos with large, heavy duty control horns if you want 3D performance. I put the rudder servo in the tail and the battery sits at the former just aft of the wing. I have flown the CG Yak and I liked it a lot. The owner of that one did not have it set up for 3D, so I don't know how stable it would be in those maneuvers compared to the Extra. But, I will tell you that on 3D rates in the Extra, when I pull full up, it just stops and points up, exactly like I want it to. I find it to be very stable. It does not glide well at all, but I doubt any of the three would considering what their designed to do. I think the Extra is a fine choice for 3D and sport flying.

I was flying it the other day, having a blast, 3D'ing better than any plane I've ever flown, and then the engine suddenly quit while I was only about 50 feet in the air, pointed straight up. I ended up landing hard in the field and breaking the gear off. When I tried to bend the gear back into shape, it broke! So, I ordered new gear. That's one problem with this plane is the landing gear bends pretty easy. I had bent it several times before that, so that's probably why it broke this time.

I plan to rebuild the landing gear plate without the aluminum pieces and use 1/4" plywood with balsa triangle reinforcements. I will then mount the gear with four 1/4-20 nylon bolts. I like that set-up because the bolts will shear off in the event of a crash or hard landing and save the rest of the plane. Then, you just replace the bolts and fly again...

Let me know how things go for you.

-Pat