Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Torque roll??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Torque roll??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:37 PM
sirmombo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque roll??

I recently upgraded the engine on my Lanier Stinger 120 from a Zenoah G38 to a Brillelli 46 GT. The differemce is like night and day. Most things are much better, but I now have a problem when I fly straight up. The plane will climb until I can't see it, but it tends to roll counter clockwise. Is this a torque roll? Is the proper correction to hold right aileron?

I am sorry for posting such a basic question, but I never had a plane with an engine powerful enough to do anything resembling 3D.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 11-09-2006, 02:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Torque roll??

Torque rolls happen (when you make them) opposite propeller rotation, so looking at the tail of an airplane a torque roll would be counter clockwise.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:49 PM
AeroDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,
your stinger is in fact rolling due to torque, but this is not the 3D move commonly called a torque roll. A good torque roll is when an airplane, while hovering rolls left due to torque. Things you often see that detract from the move are left aileron input to make the airplane roll and the airplane climbing as its rolling. So when a guys pulls the nose up and feeds in left aileron to rolls as the airplane climbs slowly isn't doing a torque roll. A hovering airplane will usually roll "under its own steam" once the nose is pointed exactly straight up. A perfect 90, as they say.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:59 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

The only time the engine's torque will overcome the wings is when the wings aren't moving fast enough through the air, so either your vertical is not all that great and the plane is actually slowing down quite a bit on the upline. That, or you are BEYOND rediculously overpowered by putting a 46cc engine on a 1.20 size plane, which means you are running way more prop than the plane was designed for. You could try less pitch , like a 20X8. It will decrease the torque