Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

OMP 80" EDGE PROFILE w/ OS 1.60

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

OMP 80" EDGE PROFILE w/ OS 1.60

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 09:16 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP 80" EDGE PROFILE w/ OS 1.60

This has been my favorite little plane for the last 2 or 3 years. It has been my "take it out and beat the PI$$ out of it plane." Well I have never seen a video of MYSELF flying. I took the plane to a friends house this summer and he had a good friend of his there. This friend of mine owns and flies full scale civilian aircraft and I will be teaching him to fly RC. This particular day that I was there, we went for a ride in the twin AEROSTAR and the other guy got his CAM out and started filming. A little bit later on, I got out the EDGE profile just to show these guys what these planes can do. None of them (there was a small crowd of about 12 to 15) had even seen anything but round and round RC flying before. While I know that I am no where near the best RC pilot, I knew that I could show these guys a few tricks. Well the one guy with the camera shot some film of me flying.... I had forgotten about that day until just a couple of hours ago. I received a phone call from my friend and he told me that there was a little bit of the video on the internet. Like I said, I have never seen myself on video before, so I guess this got me a little excited. The guy that made this video obviously liked to see the plane in a................well, you'll see

Lots of people always looking for a good prop for the OS 1.60 FX. Well, check out this little video and you will see how well the engine performs on 10 or 15% NITRO and with a PRO ZINGER or an APC 18x6. I have had equally good results with either prop and only running 10 to 15% juice..... Is this proof enough? The plane weighs in at 12 pounds

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...02793833627627
Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: OMP 80" EDGE PROFILE w/ OS 1.60

If the link doesn't work, COPY AND PASTE in the address bar
Old 11-24-2006, 08:55 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice flying. them are nice planes. my buddy has one with the same engine.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Walt and Sage

You are SO RIGHT !!!!!

I have both the 80" Edge and the 80" YAK
and both with OS 160s and 18x6W props

Just WONDERFUL PLANES to FLY and 3d...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48715.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	565811  
Old 11-24-2006, 12:45 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Captain, nice flying, great cover job and great editing on the video by the way!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Lunenburgman

I have moved up from the 65" OMP Yak to the 80" OMP profile edge with a Mark (Moki) 1.8!!!!

It is just amazing what these things will do! The best part is the Mark 1.8 burns less fuel then my ST 90!..... And even better it is happiest on 0% nitro!

OMP makes the best 3D profile planes out there.

It's like the saying goes........Once you go Flat, you never go back!

John
Old 07-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

AWESOME!!!!!

Wall straight into a Waterfall at 54 seconds!! That was bad to the bone Captain!!

Could you post details of the plane here or in a PM? I have been wanting one of these for a couple years, but refuse to power it with glow. I'm thinking about a 25--30cc gasser from RCS or Roto.

I'd like to know what servos your using and the RTF weight as seen in the video. Any alterations to the build?

That was some schweeeeeet flying.[8D]
Old 07-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: Lunenburgman

I have moved up from the 65" OMP Yak to the 80" OMP profile edge with a Mark (Moki) 1.8!!!!

It is just amazing what these things will do! The best part is the Mark 1.8 burns less fuel then my ST 90!..... And even better it is happiest on 0% nitro!

OMP makes the best 3D profile planes out there.

It's like the saying goes........Once you go Flat, you never go back!

John

Welcome to RCU. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

AWESOME!!!!!

Wall straight into a Waterfall at 54 seconds!! That was bad to the bone Captain!!

Could you post details of the plane here or in a PM? I have been wanting one of these for a couple years, but refuse to power it with glow. I'm thinking about a 25--30cc gasser from RCS or Roto.

I'd like to know what servos your using and the RTF weight as seen in the video. Any alterations to the build?

That was some schweeeeeet flying.[8D]
I'm hear what your saying Chris. I've been wanting one of these too for quite some time. When Mike gets some kits available, I'm pulling the trigger. By the way, how ya been man?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Rcpilot

Been busy. Trying to finish a plane, volunteer flight instruction on Thursday nights at the club, electric helis on Wednesdays, raising kids and working. I gotta find a way to stretch 30hrs out of a day. [sm=lol.gif]

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on that Edge too. Been drooling over it for a couple years. After seeing Captain232 wring one of them out like that--I can't stand it anymore. Gotta have it.

How've you been?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:14 AM
mrbigg

About the same as you- work and kids. Finally got out to the field for the first time Saturday and lost my WH Extra on the second flight. I was doing some tumbles and was getting pretty low. Then the sun came out from behind a cloud and I couldn't tell which way was up! The plane was right in the sun. This was pretty early in the morning, about 8 o'clock. When flying at our field, you face the east. That Extra was a smooth plane. At least my 8611's didn't get trashed. The RCIginition G62 should be alright also, I hope.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Lunenburgman

I have attached a photo of my 80" Edge just to mess with your heads! I used the same colour scheme as the big Yak just to confuse people a bit. ( hope the photo comes through)

I would highly reccomend the Mark 1.8 with a 20X6 prop, it works excellant on 0% nitro, in fact it will not run well on anything but 0% nitro! I guess it must be the European design, but none the less it works great! tons of power. LIke I mentioned before, it is very easy on fuel, I was unable to get 0% at my local hobby store so Iuse plain old Methal Hydrate 99.9% and mix it with Klotz Benol at 18%, and the engine loves it! ( and it is cheap to mixup ) I think you will find t has about the highest power to weight ratio of any engine in that size range.

It runs as well as my OS 50 Hyper heli engine on 30% nitro..... go figure!

I also have a 33% Extra with a 4.2 Sach gasser, but I still perfer the Profile edge /Mark 1.8 for the 3D stuff.

As for servos I use the Hitec HS5925, a great high speed servo,... but nolonger available! I have had to switch to the HS6975, a little slower at .010 but more power. A lot cheaper then the JR servos.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38577.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	715635  
Old 07-04-2007, 08:38 AM
mrbigg

Where are you getting the Methal Hydrate?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Lunenburgman

MetalHydrate is available at any hardware store for about $5 to $6 a gallon. I pick up the Klotz benol ( castor) oil at the hobby shop!

John
Old 07-04-2007, 08:57 AM
baronpilot
My Feedback: (2)

You guys don't know anything about what a good 3D plane is. Haven't you ever flown a twist or U-can-do? They are the bestest at 3D hands down. Who ever says that a Mojo, or Sabre, or Primo, or OMP anything, can do 3D has never flown a U-can-do. I've gone through 5 of them so far this year and I rock at 3D. If I had a profile, I'm sure I would have gone through 20!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Lunenburgman

U-cando and twist...? I think I heard of those once!... Some old geeser had one at our club!!.....lol OMP is new wave! I actually have a Twist with a OS46AX and a 3.75X12.25 prop, and yes they do perform pretty well too!

But you can't beat a big profile!!!....lol The key to the big profile longevity IMO is to use four runs of carbon fiber tows down each side before you glue the skins on. I have put mine thourgh some pretty violent manuvers without any trouble. I can't imagine breaking it unless I put it through a tree.

I guess we are all intitled to our opinion.

John
Old 07-04-2007, 09:52 AM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: baronpilot

You guys don't know anything about what a good 3D plane is. Haven't you ever flown a twist or U-can-do? They are the bestest at 3D hands down. Who ever says that a Mojo, or Sabre, or Primo, or OMP anything, can do 3D has never flown a U-can-do. I've gone through 5 of them so far this year and I rock at 3D. If I had a profile, I'm sure I would have gone through 20!

If you rock at 3D, why would you go through 20 of them profile planes? Would it be because you would feel so confident now that you've flown a decent plane, your starting to get lower and when you do choke and make a mistake, you don't have no altitude for recovery?
Old 07-04-2007, 10:04 AM
baronpilot

Profiles are just a fad. They will never last. CJ's forever!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Lunenburgman

I agree Mr. Bigg!.....I have been flying 3D stuff for a number of years,and I still have all my original planes and if you look a his other posts he is bashing the Twist?? I don't get it!

I can't imagine crashing 6 in one year! First you learn it up high then move it closer to the ground when you are confident in the manuvuer.

I love my big profile and would not trade it for anything. I still think one of the biggest factors is the proper prop selection for maximum exceleration.

John
Old 07-04-2007, 11:29 AM
baronpilot

Every time I go to the field, there is some profile guy out there, IGNORING AMA rules. These planes are dangerous and should be banned!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Lunenburgman

I have a feeling this profile guy is a lot safer then yours truely! at least I haven't been righting planes off ! Perhaps you should look at perfecting your skills before you try moving to ground level.

I beleive this conversation has gone about as far it can go!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:39 AM
mrbigg

Every time I go to the field, there is some profile guy out there, IGNORING AMA rules. These planes are dangerous and should be banned!

This says it all right here.

Lunenbrugman, thanks again for the hardware store tip. I'm going to check Ace this weekend.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Lunenburgman

Remember to mix the 18% castor or Benol! It would not be good if you forget that! The easiest way to get the 18% mix is to add 1 container of oil ( any size you want) than using the same container add 4 1/2 more of Methol Hydrate this will get you your 18% without any measuring! You can do the math if you want but this is the easy way!

It seems most of the engines made in Europe perfer the 0% nitro, MVVS, MDS, Moki, Mark all seem to perform better on no nitro.

Good luck

John
Old 07-04-2007, 01:47 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Friends, don't let other friends fly Twist's or U Can Do's!!!![:'(]
come over to the dark side and just try a Mojo,Saber or any OMP plane and you will never go back to what your flying now.
ENJOY!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:05 PM
baronpilot

Just messing with you guys. I just wanted to see how defensive us Profiler's really are. I have a Mojo 40, Sabre 56, 48, & 35, Spaz Cap, Yeti 33, Skeeter 35, Top Cap, and Sledge.

I had a conversation on another thread where I had to defend the 'hood. I just wanted to see if I was the only one that defended profiling 3D here.

Sorry to ruffle feathers. PROBROS!