Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Peak Models 84" edge

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Peak Models 84" edge

Old 03-15-2007, 02:38 AM
bahamadude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peak Models 84" edge

The bug hit you aye ?

hehe !!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:34 AM
GMoneyPit
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: bahamadude

The bug hit you aye ?

hehe !!
Sure did. I just hope I got the right plane. There were so many to choose from in this size and near this price (although the closest in price was like $600 shipped, but I wonder if the extra price brings extra quality). I'm excited anyway, it should be a great flying airplane.

Gary
Old 03-15-2007, 07:48 AM
bahamadude

Where did you find the closest price being $600.00 dollars shipped ?

Which website ?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:13 AM
GMoneyPit

Actually, it was probably less than $600 shipped since the preship price is $399. Geez, did I let one get away?

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...l/Edge-30.html

I swear this was $499 when I looked at it earlier in the week. I don't know what the shipping is, but at $399, I'm sure it comes in less than $600 shipped. I may have overlooked something here. I was also adding Extra 260, and Yaks to the mix and found several of them in that price range.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:17 AM
GMoneyPit

Which website ?
Here's the one that I nearly got, but after shipping, it was quite a bit more than the Peak one.

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...spx?prodID=100

This plane gets good reports...but so does the Peak version from what I've read.

Edit:
The PA version comes with some pretty solid hardware, which kind of makes up for the higher price. But, I've got some pretty good hardware on hand to use anyway that I already own. I'm gonna have fun and try not to be remorseful .
Old 03-15-2007, 12:59 PM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: GMoneyPit

Which website ?
Here's the one that I nearly got, but after shipping, it was quite a bit more than the Peak one.

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...spx?prodID=100

This plane gets good reports...but so does the Peak version from what I've read.

Edit:
The PA version comes with some pretty solid hardware, which kind of makes up for the higher price. But, I've got some pretty good hardware on hand to use anyway that I already own. I'm gonna have fun and try not to be remorseful .
Yeah the PA comes with all CF tubes, and heavy duty hardware, all plane comes with all holes pre-drilled, etc here is a few video of mine

And also just a reminder, the PA Edge is not similar to the Peak Model in any way, its a totally different airplane designed in Australia by Precision Aerobatics.

http://www.aerofun3d.com/videos/PAEdge540.wmv
Old 03-15-2007, 01:17 PM
bahamadude

The bug got you too aye !! Aerofundan

Sweet chin music
Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 PM
bill33

Can anybody give me the link (URL) to ARF Models. It seems the link given before doesn't work anymore
Old 03-16-2007, 12:46 PM
GMoneyPit

Give this a shot:

http://www.arfmft.com/en/index.asp

Gary
Old 03-27-2007, 08:52 AM
freebird1

No flight report as of yet. I am so close to being ready. My DL is doing well so far so good. The mount was a real pain. I had to enlarge the whole in the fire wall and the carb is behind the firewall as I only needed an inch stand off to match the cowl. The Th servo works well where is in marked on the right side of the motor box, but you will have to make a 3/4 inch extention for the servo arm to match the carb linkage. The stab you are talking about is the first I have seen like it too. It should work well because it is solidly glued to the back and pin hinges are there as well. it is solidly glued on the top of the fuse aswell. I do think I will add some balsa to the top of the fuse. When you get your pull pull set be sure to add some glue to the threads as one on mine pulled out. I am using 3 bat and 1 on the El unit. The El bat is placed beside the tank and the other 3 are over the CG which is 130mm-135mm from the leading edge, or that is what peak (ARF) told me. You will need to reverse the EL. I used the futaba match box. Also those are some huge controls so I went with Hitec 95555 and 6 volts on the RX.GMoneyPit, I too looked at several planes and I think this is the best one for the money. I have the 26cc from ARF and I love it. I hope I can fly mine very soon. I just need to pick up a servo extention, switch, and do a final check over. I thought 3 switches would be enought, but I need one more. I hope this helps?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:43 AM
GMoneyPit

I'm not sure if I told you guys or not, but when I received my Edge, it came with two right wings (no left wing) and a severly warped rudder. I took a picture and sent it to Peak. I got a response that day and with 10 days, they were able to get a new wing and rudder sent from the factory. Peak strives hard to provide good, speedy service. You have to be persistent, however, and that can get frustrating. I believe they are overwhelmed with getting replacement carbs for the DL-50 and whatever else QC at the factory misses.

Gary

P.S. The Edge is just about finished, complete with my Copperhead Venom 45cc gas engine. It looks great. I'll post pictures this weekend if I get around to it. I won't get to fly it this weekend because the weather won't be very good.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:31 PM
GMoneyPit

Well, I've got her all finished up. Here are a few pics. I won't get to fly it until next weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75570.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	659862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64678.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	659863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22786.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	659864  
Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 PM
JR007

GMoneyPit. Could you give your opinion about the quality, structure appearance, and finished of the model? Did you do any reinforcement around firewall or you think that it is not necessary? Which is the final weight with the venom 45cc? Did you use lipos or other things to reduce weight?

Thanks for all,
And sorry for that many questions, I´m too interested with this model....
Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
GMoneyPit

JR,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've been pretty busy these last couple of days.

1) Quality: In general, I think the quality very good. Everything fit together very nicely and everything squared/paralleled up (stabs, vertical and horizontal, and wings). I like the aluminum wing tube after having a bad experience with a carbon fiber one. The horizontal stabs screw in to the fuse (with aluminum tube as well) and are solid and easily removeable if desired. The covering seems to be pretty good quality and was tight as a drum when I got it. After having it in the trailer for a few days, I can see some sags, but they should be easily removed with my heat gun. The canopy is a little thinner than I'd like, but will be fine. The canopy hatch is held down with a guilde dowel in front into the back of the engine area, four strong magnets, and a spring-loaded mechanism that attaches aft. I don't care for the quality of these. I broke one trying to get the canopy hatch secured and the other one is suspect. I removed them and rebuilt them so that they are much more solid and more reliable. If you get one, I'll explain in more detail what I did. As far as the wings go, I'm not sure if the quality of the balsa is poor quality or if I just handled them too roughly, but I cracked some of the balsa sheeting in several places and had to use some thin CA and a few pieces of square stock to shore up my broken pieces.

2) Structure appearance: They did LOTS of lightening to everything they could (via holes). It does make for a light model and has so far held up to the vibrations of the gas engine (on the ground, have not flown it but will try this weekend).

3) Finish: I covered this mostly in #1.

4) Firewall: I did use plenty of triangle stock wherever I could. This is my first gasser and I didn't want to take any chances. I think I did a pretty good job and would be happy to give you closeup shots of areas in particular if you like. I don't know if it was necessary as the whole firewall is built with interlocking connections, but I wanted overkill, if that's what you want to call it :-).

5) Weight: I have yet to weigh the model. I would be very surprised if it is more than 14.5 lbs. A guy over at flying giants built his with a DA50 and it came in at 14.2 lbs RTF dry. My "good" scale only goes to 12 lbs. The best I can do is use my bathroom scale but I'd be lucky to get within a pound of accuracy. When I get a chance, I'll go ahead and do that just for grins.

6) Weight reduction: I really don't think any is necessary as the factory already cut out tons of wood in their lightening effort. I don't have any lipos, I'm using two 2100mAh NiMH, one for the receiver and one for the ignition, both 4.8V. The ignition uses barely any power (see Copperhead Venom 45 forum) and performs flawlessly. I don't know of anyone using lipos but I'm sure there are some that are.

Let me know what else you need to know. I might not be too speedy getting you a response, but I'll do my best as time allows.

Thanks,
Gary

P.S. After I fly this, I'll give another update complete with flight report. That should help you make your decision if you haven't already.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 PM
JR007

You give me all the info that I were looking for. I am planning to buy the combo Edge 84" + DL50 engine to peakmodels. I will wait a little more to buy the combo because I would like to read your opinion after you fly the airplane. I think that the airplane will be an very good 3D performer due to her low weight, great surfaces and great wing area.

Thanks for your comments!!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:04 AM
miguelon35

hello I am of Spain I am new in this forum queria to know your experience, a store of aqui has traido airplanes of the mark arf. and marks league. where I can obtain them but cheap that peakmodel. thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 08:28 AM
GMoneyPit

miguelon35,

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, something seems to have gotten lost in the translation. This is where I bought my plane:

http://www.peakmodel.com/

Is that what you wanted to know?

Gary
Old 04-19-2007, 11:08 PM
freebird1

GMoneyPit, Have you madin it yet. I finally got time to finish mine and only lack setting my throws, and I am ready to go to the field. What are your throw settings. How about CG. I have mine set at 130 MM. I am looking for a good first flight CG and throws,.

Thanks !!!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:07 AM
GMoneyPit

freebird1,

You have good timing, I got a couple flights in last night, in 15 mph winds. I was not happy with the winds and they shook me (and the plane) up a little, but I made it out unharmed, so a successful maiden. I was very cautious on the first flight. My CG came out at 4.75 from the leading edge at the fuse and I think it is perfect there. The elevators are very, very responsive. I used low rates on every surface except rudder. I only had about an inch of deflection on the elevator and it was very responsive. I had a little too much expo and that made it difficult. I reduced the amount on the second flight and it was much more manageable. Don't worry about the ailerons and rudder that much. I had max throw on the rudder and at least 2" of throw on the ailerons. This plane is large and has lots of drag. With my 22x8, there wansn't much speed, but it had pretty good pull. I didn't do much other than fly circles, fighting the wind and trying to get a feel for it. The plane really does float well and although my engine ran flawlessly, I would not be afraid to deadstick it. It just floats and is difficult to stall, which is exactly what I was looking for.

I plan to get out again after work today to try a few more things, but the winds are supposed to be back so I'm not sure it will happen. If I get more flights in, I'll report here. Sorry I don't have much to offer as of yet.

Gary
Old 05-12-2007, 09:43 AM
freebird1

gmoneypit, I know from my 26cc that these fly to the nose. I have moved just about everything I can and still added 10oz to the nose and am coming out to around 5". should I and an maybe move the cg to 4.75 as you stated. I am planning to fly as soon as I get the cg right. I lost my spring that holds the wing dowels, but I will not let that stop me I will order a new one and use a tie till I get it. What where your throws on the AL.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:17 AM
GMoneyPit

freebird1,

I would not be afraid of a 5" CG. Is that with or without your cowl? If it is without your cowl, you'll be fine. Your elevators will be a little more sensitive at 5". Even at 4.75", they are a little on the sensitive side but that's the way I like it, especially with some expo dialed in. The control surface you want to most careful with is the elevator. Keep your throws low at first. You only need about 2" defection for tremendous authority. Even with that little bit of deflection, there is plenty of authority to keep the nose up in a hover. It is much more responsive on higher rates, but that makes it more difficult on landings. When I hover, I use about 40 degrees of throw in my elevator. As far as your ailerons go, use whatever you feel comfortable with. I typically fly on low rates, which is only about 1.5 - 2.0 inches of deflection at the trailing edge. The rolls are a little on the slow side, but that's fine with me. If I want to keep from torque rolling in a hover, I use the high rates because it whips it back around nicely to keep the belly of the plane away from me, the way I feel most comfortable. I keep the rudder on high rates at all times, which is as far as it will go without hitting the elevators. I hope that helps. Let me know if you need more info or if I need to make something more clear. I really like the way the plane flies, but it is a bit of a handful in the wind, surprisingly. I'm attributing that to the large wing surface area and the "fatness" of the wings in general. The plane has a lot of drag, which makes landings very easy because the plane will float like a U-Can-Do and is difficult to stall, which I really like.

Gary