Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models Yak 52?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Nitro Models Yak 52?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Sotos
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Models Yak 52?

Boosted,

I'll post a completed weight in a couple of days. Using 2 standard servos ele and ail, Hitec 225 on rudder (pull pull) and an old Hitec mini on throttle. Old Saito FA-80 up front. Should have it finished in a few days now that it's cold here.

Sotos
Old 01-19-2007, 04:57 PM
captainpitts-RCU
My Feedback: (24)

I might be wrong but if I remember right mine was just under 5 with o.s. 70 and standards
Old 01-19-2007, 08:37 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Could you double check the total weight and servos you used CaptainPitts??
Old 01-20-2007, 11:26 PM
GMoneyPit
My Feedback: (5)

GotSky,

Your OS 70 is about 4.5 oz heaver than the Saito 82 I plan to put in mine. I'm curious how you have your battery and receiver (and servos) laid out. I hope you have your battery back in the fuse because I'll need to move it up as far forward as possible it sounds. I sure would hate to add lead to the nose.

Offtopic, has anyone seen/heard anything about the cool looking small Edge NP has out now:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/edfu544052ac.html

If there's a thread out there already, let me know.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
GotSky

OK- Sorry for the delay getting back to you all. I am using a NELSON 280cc - 9oz- tank that fits with no Mods plus gives a bit more fuel than stock.
I am using standard Airtronics Servos nothing special as the plane really does not need them, The servos are laid out as follows. 2 Elevator servos in the tail with a pull pull on the rudder mounted in the forward spot under the canopy. I used the stock 600milliamp battery that came in the Airtronics flight pack. It is mounted next to the tank as far forward as possible. The receiver is mounted under the canopy about 1/2 way back in the open area. Engine is a OS Surpass 70 -- Enigine Weight-With Muffler: 22.1 oz-- APC 14x4 Prop--My engine is mounted sideways not inverted- Just the top of the head sticks out of the cowl --- No dead weight was added the all up flying weight is 5lbs 7oz DRY-- no fuel-- I am flying it a tad bit tail heavy for better hovers and snaps but this in my preference and I set the plane up this way Just moving the receiver forward fixes the CG to level if needed... I went over all stress areas with 5 min epoxy. ie Wing mount box, Firewall, and Landing gear mount. Hope this helps
Happy Flying
Old 01-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Sotos

GotSky,
Thanks for the fuel tank specs as well as the additional info. Mine is almost done, and in weighing in at 5 lbs 15 ozs without the cowl. Using an old Saito FA-80 and a 2000 mah 5 cell nimh pack. I also added flying wires to reinforce the stabs.

Tks again.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Sotos

Well, here's a surprising and unfortunate discovery of the Yak I received. While performong a final test assembly of the almost completed plane, I noticed that one wing half slid onto the joiner tube much easier than the other one. Further observation revealed that the cardboard tube into which the joiner slides, admittedly frail from the start, is pretty much non-existent on the right wing half, with only about 1 inch of it present. Past that, the joiner tube was just sliding through the holes in the ribs. Not sure if I'll try and fly it like this or not, sort of a dynamic di-an-hedral if you will. Not a lot, but sure won't help.

I've emailed NitroPlanes about it, just thought others perhaps assembling this ARF might want to check theirs.

Regards.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:14 PM
GMoneyPit

Man, I was thinking about getting one when the new batch arrived. I wonder if this is one of the upgrades they were planning. If not, I'll probably continue to wait unless someone posts an easy fix for it.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:00 PM
GotSky

Sotos
PM NITROSTAFF1 here on RC Universe. He will make sure you get a new wing ASAP. Don't fly it how it is you'll risk losing everything if it comes apart... Make sure to tell him about the cardboard issue. I have already told him that it may cause problems with safety and durablitiy a week or 2 ago.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Sotos

GotSky,
Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a try here as I still haven't received a reply to the email I sent. I'll report whatever does or doesn't happen next. I'm glad I discovered the fault, but bummed that I won't be flying it as soon as I had hoped.

Sotos

Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Sotos

Well, just to follow up and present all the facts, I did receive a reply fairly quickly by posting a message in the NitroPlanes support forum that exists within the ARF's forum. I did also receive a response to my email after a couple of days, the message telling me I needed to call their support phone number. So, their support isn't the greatest, but it does indeed exist, which is reassuring. In the end, I've decided ti install a proper wing tube sleeve, doing away with the flimsy cardboard they used.

Regards....
Old 01-25-2007, 02:06 PM
stinger40

Wil this fly on a .46? I don't want a 3D flyer. I have a UCD 46. I just want a good looking .40 Yak. It would be a sport plane.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:33 AM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

looks like they dont answer their phones, return messages or emails. i sure hope their planes are good b/c their customer service sucks!

i've been wanting to order this yak from them and emailed, and called them 3 times and left messages but no replies. oh well, maybe i'll just take my business elsewhere....
Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 AM
GMoneyPit

EVERYONE knows that their support blows chunks. If you want their "fairly" inexpensive (the closer you live to the West coast the cheaper things are, being in GA, shipping is steep and really drives the prices up) planes of fairly good quality, you have to accept that you won't get any support. It is the price you pay, period. Why do you want to talk to them (other than to check stock, they claim their site is accurate)? You probably know more about the products they sell than they do. It is just a matter of clicking the "Buy" button and waiting for your plane. I think they're pretty good at getting out the merchandise when it's in stock. Apparently, their shipping containers are also pretty good. They HAVE to be because they aren't set up to do anything but ship boxes. God forbid they get a return, that really gums up the works over at NP.

NP, when are you going to set up a satellite office on the East coast to keep shipping costs down for us. By the time you add shipping costs (I believe you when you say that they are actual shipping costs), the prices aren't so good after all. You guys that live in CA, what does it cost to ship a 40 sized plane to you? It costs almost $40 to ship them to GA.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
boosted180

the reason why i want to talk to someone is that i live very close to their location and wanted to come by and just pick up my plane. that way i can avoid shipping and more importantly i can check out the plane before i pay for it.

i've bought planes that had minor problems (ailerons not lining up perfectly with the wings, stabs not fitting right, etc.). if i go to pick it up myself i can check all these things and avoid the hassle of sending stuff back if there is a problem.

i'll try leaving another message tomorrow. maybe if i leave enough messages and annoy them enough, theyll return my call.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:37 PM
GMoneyPit

That makes perfect sense, good thinking. Now that you mention it, if they lived close by me, I'd do the same thing. Good advice.

Gary
Old 02-01-2007, 01:54 AM
GotSky

Boosted
I would like to tell you that they allow local pick up but they do not -I tried myself---. All the planes come double boxed and ready for shipment right from CHINA. They have no demos or product that you can look at. The company is in a very large warehouse in the City of Industry and the staff consists of 5-10 phone order clerks and the folks who pack the boxes on the UPS truck --by the way the UPS hub/center is right next door. I did go by their offices to pick up a replacement YAK due to the issues on the first batch but I had to set up the time weeks in advance. The best way I can tell you to get through is via the NITROPLANES support forum here on RCU or just order via the web. Good luck with the new plane
Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 PM
boosted180

GotSky, thanks for the advice. when i first saw the plane i was really interested in getting it but after trying so hard to contact them and not getting through, it kinda put a damper on things. not sure i want to get it anymore, but i'll think about it.

i'll probably just order it online. seems like a good plane and i should just forget about their crappy customer service.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Sotos

Gotsky and whoever else has one of these flying.....

Where did your CG end up? For 3D flying that is. Mine is almost ready to maiden, weather permitting, and without adding any weight, my CG is about 3/4" farther back than the recommended setting of 4.7" back from the LE. Don't know if I should risk it or not.

Any suggestions?

Sotos

Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
adolfsonjat

I just bought the Yak 52 does anyone know how a 2 stroke .75 will do with it. please let me know. thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
adolfsonjat

I just bought one if anyone can tell me if a .75 2 stroke will be good for this plane thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 07:06 PM
boosted180

the .75 2 stroke will be way more power than you'll need for this plane. how much does the engine weigh? if you want to go with a 2 stroke, i'd recommend a magnum .52. weight is 13 oz. and if your plane comes out at 5 lbs or less, you will have unimited vertical and be able to pull out of a hover with authority.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:22 PM
adolfsonjat

boosted180
I just havent heard good things about the magnum's so I order a tower .75 cause right now I cant aford an OS it weighs I think right at 23 oz so I will just move the CG back a little what do you think.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:34 PM
GMoneyPit

If you want a Tower, perhaps the 46 would've been a better choice. They are supposed to be stump pullers for their size. The 75 may actually ruin the flight characteristics of the plane. Anyone else running a 2 stroke that size? Heck, even the GMS 47 wouldn't have been too bad of a choice for the econo engines. I'm going to put my Saito 82 on mine I think, can't hardly beat the 4 strokes for their power to weight ratio.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:25 PM
adolfsonjat

I will let you guys know when I get it and see how it flys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.