Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitro Models Extra 330 90 - 63"

Any updates? Where are the videos?
    There is no substitution for human competition.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started breaking in my Sk 80 last night on mine, and I was wondering the same thing? I ordered the 69" edge 540 from ak-models last night, anyone have any info on it? A search came up with nothing for me.

http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...=CMPAerobatics

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anything new with this plane?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew mine twice, both times for about 3/4 of a circuit around the field. I balanced mine at the recommended cg and it seemed way to nose heavy. I am having a very difficult time getting the engine to run right which is why I only have the short flights. Hopefully I will have it figured out soon and will post more flight info then.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Saito 1.00 I would use in the plane, but unless I can get the weight down to 6.5lbs or so it may not be the best choice in engine. Also I wanted to see some videos of how it performs.

Anyone compared it to a Fliton Extra 330?

ORIGINAL: pnr

I flew mine twice, both times for about 3/4 of a circuit around the field. I balanced mine at the recommended cg and it seemed way to nose heavy. I am having a very difficult time getting the engine to run right which is why I only have the short flights. Hopefully I will have it figured out soon and will post more flight info then.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    Very interested to come across this thread.

Recently purchased one of these models...

Just taken it out of the box, and everything looks good.

A bit of extra glue is going to be required around some of the internal formers and the canopy frame.
    A little attention is also going to be required on the covering to stop a couple of bits of trim coming off... but no problems there.

I plan to put a second hand YS110FZ in mine so power shouldn't be any problem , given proper use of the left stick!

As for the hardware, I already have some upgrades planned.
    - Pete Tindal Carbon pushrods and fittings.
    - Tettra Fuel tank - Like to use these with YS engines given the pressurised system.
    - MK Dual elevator drive (shame the pushrods slots had already been cut in the trim - but easily sorted).
    - MK Anti Vibration Beam Mount

As I fly at a noise sensitve site in the UK, I might see if I can squeeze a hatori cooling pipe in as well, but this
    may require a little minor surgery.

Given the price of the model, I have to say I'm really impressed.

Anyone with any information on the flying characteristics.

Also any thoughts on the size of servos required?
    I was thinking of 5985 on Elevator and Rudder and 5925/45s on the ailerons... as the size of the surfaces seems quite large.
    (That and I think the YS engine will be a bit more power than is required )

Also what size props are you swinging on your models? I read in an earlier post that the clearance is not that great?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Regards

Web

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Saito 125 sitting around so I thought I would try one of these out. You can't beat the price (129.00, but they get you on the shipping 30.00) and I really love the colors. Not sure about the build up, not the best at it (I've built up a couple .40's and a skybolt). Are the instructions really that bad? Anyone tried the 125 in it? Would love to see a video of it in action. Also, what prop would be good for 3D with this set-up, read hover? Any tips appreciated. Thanx...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about an update...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

some one knows how this plane does 3D????? what motor would be best??
    thank you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well you guys have inspired me to purchase this plane... Nitro Models Extra 330 90 - 63" ARF 3D Aerobatic
    Any suggestions as to engine size, upgrades, tweeks, etc....

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The plane has arrived. I unpacked everything and all arrived in great shape. I found no issues with any of the mono coat yet, there are some spots I found that will need some extra glue and reinforcements but other then that all looks good. I went through the instructions last night, yes they are that bad.... it looks to me like they are a literal translation from some language to English, very broken and several misspelled words.... but you will get the idea. There are no recommendations for servo sizes. Going to do more research before choosing servos for this model. I have chosen the OS FS-91 surpass for the motor, once I get the motor and mount it I will be able to determine clearance for a prop... thinking a three blade right now but we will see.

Will update as I progress...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I've been flying this for about a month now (probably 25+ flights). I am a good aerobatic pilot but a noob at 3D. First the set up: I'm using the Saito 125, 14 X 4W APC prop, all digital specktrum servo's, with a DX-7. In high rates I literally had the throws max'd out ( I have since calmed it down, it was to spastic at full throws), I used the manual recommendations for low rates. Basic flight and aerobatics are sweet . Tracks on rails turns are sharp. All basic's are great, snaps are awesome. 3-D; being a noob I'm really not very good, but. Harriers are easy, was able to hover it up high, but one of the coolest things I've done with it is a blender. People at the field stopped and there jaws dropped when I finally did this. I cannot believed it didn't rip the wings off, it was a blur. Haven't tried it since I lowered the rates (just a tad), will update when done. The 125 is way overkill, I run around about 1/4 throttle most of the time. But the plane CAN handle it.

So how is it holding up? It's fairly strong, but be advised I strengthened big time all the joints (especially around the engine mount). Covering: I like the color, but not holding up to well. Starting to peel up, if you apply any heat to it I find it makes it worse (peels up/shrinks with very little heat, I probably suck at it). I've had to rebuilt the battery/receiver tray it was way thin and fragile, broke on the 3rd or 4th flight. The canopy separated from the canopy frame on the 2nd flight, nothing CA can't fix. The gear is very strong and I've run a 15" prop, not a great amount of clearence but I had no problems with it.

Overall: Really like this bird, it fly's nice. It is built decently, a little on the cheap side, but for the price and with a little extra work everything coem together. BTW Just throw away the manual, useless...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi guys!!!!
    whould you think a Zenoah 20cc Electronic Ignition Gas Engine is ok for this bird? is too much weight or doens't fit on it?

best regards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys - Just received mine today and at first glance I'm impresed. You know if the instructions are any good when the first Safety statement on the first page says:
    "For can correct assembly this model, enable this model the design to obtain the full display, should assemble in under the experienced public figures correct installation". What the......
    I plan to put an ASP120 four stroke in mine. I will probably keep the rest of the set up, including the elevator set up, standard. Dinossauro, I doubt a Zenoah would fit. I was actually surprised how lightly the plane is built and how narrow the fuse is compared to my Seagull Extra 330 which has the same wing area (and which is being replaced by this extra 330). I have no real experience with this combination but if you could squeeze it in I would guess that it would make the plane very nose heavy and increase it's wing loading dramatically. Let us all know how it goes.
    If you have to bend over more than once to pick it up - it was a bad landing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone tinted the canopy on this plane? If so what and how did you do it? have any pictures of the tint job?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Warnberg

Has anyone tinted the canopy on this plane? If so what and how did you do it? have any pictures of the tint job?

Thanks
    Not sure about the tinting, but if you spray the inside of the canopy matt black (or whatever colour floats your boat) the result is usaually pretty good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zaboaa and Others,

I've been a bit busy with work so not had much time to do anything on the model (except to buy a few upgrade bits I want to put on it), but I was wondering what "All-up weight" (inc engine, but no fuel) everyones Extras are coming in at?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I have a question since the directions are so crystal clear..... on page 5 step 4... what is this double push and push rod? It looks to me like some sort of a linkage that goes through the side of the fuselage? I see the slots for the rudder controls and if you look inside the fuselage there is also a hole, is there some kind of linkage that will mount there? What is it called cause I can not seem to find it anywhere...

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Warnberg

OK, I have a question since the directions are so crystal clear..... on page 5 step 4... what is this double push and push rod? It looks to me like some sort of a linkage that goes through the side of the fuselage? I see the slots for the rudder controls and if you look inside the fuselage there is also a hole, is there some kind of linkage that will mount there? What is it called cause I can not seem to find it anywhere...

Thanks
    I've not started the build yet, but I assume from the looks of the fuse (and instructions) that the push rod is for the set up of the elevators. The idea is that you create a "folk" with two supplied rods and attach these to the supplied dowl. This is then connected to a centrally mounted servo towards the front of the fuse and the two rods exit through the holes in the back of the fuse and connect to the two elevator halves. The rudder is a Pull Pull and has wire supplied for this purpose. This is a very common setup in CMP planes (and others). The only thing you may need to do extra is to ensure all flexable movement along the dowl is minimised to prevent elevator flutter or unwanted elevator movement in flight. Whilst the instructions are very poor, there is a little picture which explains this.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The holes and instructions show the option of a Dual Elevator Driver (which you have to purchase separately).
    This link is to a UK site, but I'm sure that Central Hobbies or other big suppliers should stock something similiar.

It works by having a single servo mounted in the wing area and a push rod (I normally use carbon rod) which connects to the central arm of the driver. The outer two then connect to the to each half of the elevator.

An example of one mounted and the rear end of a model can be seen HERE.
    A picture of the other end can be seen HERE.

Has the advantage of a dual tail mounted elevator servo setup, but without the weight in the tail.

I've used this type of setup before in my Striker and it works well.

For what is worth, I spoke to another member of our club a while ago, who thinks that these type of setup are good for F3A/Pattern flying, but when "Extreme Freestyling" sometimes you may have trouble getting the extreme throws without extending the outer arms.
    Suppose it really depends on your flying style and requirements I suppose....

I've actually started my build now. I'm currently working cutting the cowl to allow for YS110FZ engine with fixed hatori header and 725 Pipe.
    Due to the length of the header / pipe combination it has meant cutting some of the lower part of the firewall away. Not a problem, but will be a little fiddly trying to build a box around pipe to prevent stray fuel getting into the fuselage... oh well...[sm=50_50.gif]

One of the other problems I have encountered is that I normally use a 16 x 6 prop, but with the stock undercarriage I have little / no clearance with the tail raised. [:@]
    Currently thinking about my options on this one....
    - Larger wheels and accept tail can't come too high...
    - Craft an undercarriage extension to each leg... somehow...
    - or a new undercarriage.

Ideas on this one welcome.

Depending on how I get on, I will aim to post some pictures this weekend.

Web.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for all the info... I got it... I ordered a MK Dual Elevator Ball Bearing Bell Crank fuse up to 2-3/16 inches and Push Rod Set - 24'' Rods 5/32'' x 4-40 Ends.... I think this will work a bit better then the stick they gave me.

Thanks Again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have chosen the O.S. FS-91 II Surpass for this plane. Here is my question... should I get it with pump or without? Suggestions?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Depends really on your budget....

My understanding is that pumped will help with the model in unusual attitudes. It will also help when you have a bit of a run of tubing between the tank and the engine (ie not right behind as in most models).

One other thing to consider is whether the tank will cope with the pressure (some can split along the seams over time), I didn't check the one in the kit, as in my setup (YS110FZ - a pumped engine) I have replaced the kit tank with a Tettra 14oz (400cc) Fuel Tank, which I know I've used before and
    had no problems with pressure.

Probably overkill, but I like to air of the side of caution......Sure others may offer different advice.

Don't know whether this helps??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it does... thank you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi guys!
    And what about good servos for this baby? for futaba or spektrum... for example 5 futaba s3152?

regards
    thanks

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast