Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Creek katana 120

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Creek katana 120

Old 02-20-2003, 09:46 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creek katana 120

It isn't 'Econokote' - its a similar type of covering material.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:30 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Default Creek katana 120

This stuff must be more like Ultrakote. When I was cutting it off the tail sections for gluing I noticed the back side of the stuff has a fabric like weave??? Kinda like Century 21 covering only not as thick.

Also, When I went to iron out the bubbles and the wrinkles in the open sections of the fuse, it took a tremendous amount of heat to do.

There is no way this stuff Econokote or anything close. Econokote would have vaporized at half the amount of heat I had to apply to this stuff to shrink it up.

Mike
Old 02-21-2003, 04:17 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Default Creek katana 120

If anybody finds out what the stuff is, of what material makes a matching color, PLEASE let me know. I need some of the blue for the Staudacher to redo the tail. I'm putting in a bell crank for the elevators to move the servos into the hatch area. Had to cut some of the covering off to get to it back there.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:53 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default Creek katana 120

Originally posted by Optech
This stuff must be more like Ultrakote. When I was cutting it off the tail sections for gluing I noticed the back side of the stuff has a fabric like weave??? Kinda like Century 21 covering only not as thick.
Is yours out of the new batch? Mine is out of the first batch, and the covering is very similar to Econokote (or Towerkote) - very thin, almost translucent, won't tolerate a lot of heat.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Mach1Latus
My Feedback: (3)

Default Creek katana 120

I spoke to Creek Hobbies at the WRAM show today. they said that the covering is not commercially available but they sell replacement covering for their planes, just give them a call.

Steve
Old 02-22-2003, 09:34 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Default Creek katana 120

visioneer_one,
I have the Staudacher and I think it was the last of the first bunch. When we went to order the planes the guy said this style was the last they had in stock. I originally wanted the Sukhoi and my buddy wanted the Edge.

A couple of days after we bought them I noticed the web site had been changed to say that they were all out of the planes.

My yellow is a little translucent but the blue is very opaque. For whatever reason, the blue responded to the heat better than the yellow in such a way that it reminds me exactly of Ultracote. There were some bubbles all over the wings so I had to use lots of heat from a gun and a glove to heat up the covering til it separated off the wood and bubbled up. It would then shrink tight so I could smooth it back down. Sometimes I had to use a pin to ***** a hole as there was air trapped underneath. No matter how much heat I used it never burned through. I was really afraid I was melting the foam underneath the wood but so far so good. At first I tried to use an iron to smooth the material but it just wouldn't shrink up uniformly so I went with the gun and ended up on the highest setting.

Mike
Old 03-10-2003, 08:27 AM
arnie

Default Creek katana 120

Heres a pic of the Weston UK Proflex exhaust that I've used on my Katana. clever manifold design that has no welds and rubber O rings to seal it so shouldn't break. Whole system weighs 100grms.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	61789_24800.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	32935  
Old 11-15-2008, 04:29 PM
skrplyr23

Default RE: Creek katana 120

I need to know how to figure the CG for this plane Creek Hobbies Katana 120 Ready to fly mine with a saito 180 but not sure about the cg. Anyone let me know ?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:54 AM
steelmanwfo
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Creek katana 120

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#1660662

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17.../tm.htm#177967

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96.../tm.htm#962772

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62.../tm.htm#624736