Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Groovy 3D 90.. Promising

I am doing a review on this one from World Models. It's way beyond to cold to fly right now, but I have it just about all together. Anyone flying this plane? It has adjustable incedence.. which was a first for me.. (never had a pattern plane). I have a YS 110 in it, also a first for me. The more I look at this plane, the more I think it may be a keeper. I like the shape. Ended up around 8.75 pounds.. not bad for 997 square inches of wing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu59447.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	616435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh18895.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	616436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx62599.jpg 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	616437  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Groovy 3D 90.. Promising

Hey man that thign looks really cool!!! hope to see a vide of it
    Daniel Dominguez
    http://vimeo.com/channels/precisionaerobatics

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it wasn't 14 degrees, I would have one by now. You are lucky to live in Panama!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a groovy 50 3a, the pattern version. It flies nicely. It was my second plane so it has been beat up and repaired alot. It is a littile on the heavy side because of that but a great plane non the less.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does it have adjustable incedence as well, Cambo?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry for asking but what are the incidents?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Knowing how well the Groovy 90 Pattern plane flies - I'd say that the U-Can-Do just might have a good bit of competition there.

The WM planes tend to be pretty good fliers once they hit the market because of the amount of pre-market testing they do first. (I've met one of their "Factory team" test pilots over here - I'll see if I can ask him if he knows this one).
    3W, BME and DA all the way. Proven power, Proven reliability and Proven support equals much cheaper in the long term.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys

Sorry to bring a negative aspect to this thread but my experiences with a Groovy 90 (F3A) were that it was the worst ARTF that I have ever owned.

1. One of the canopy fixing dowels was missing, there was dried glue in the hole but no dowel. A Friday afternoon special if ever I saw one.
    2 The rudder was badly warped.
    3 Both ailerons were warped.
    4 The wing tube was caked in a rock hard milky white glue which took me hours to wet and dry off.
    5 When I’d cleaned and polished the tube it still would not go through the fuz because the female tube had several blobs of resin inside it.
    6 The pre-drilled holes in the wing were about an inch away from lining up with the wing tube fixing holes.
    7 There was glue splattered everywhere in the fuz, except where it was needed.
    8 The carbon u/c split after three of four feather like landings.
    9 The u/c fixing plate split shortly after this.
    10 The canopy split on about the tenth flight (yes, I balance my props on a magnetic balancer).
    9. The general build was poor with NO attention to detail. I got the impression that the fuz had been covered BEFORE the final sanding. The back end in particular was rough and unsanded under the covering.
    10. Although I actually finish second in my first ever F3A comp I was not impressed with the way it flew and gave it away to a club mate as a test bed for his new electric set-up. He didn’t like it either!
    The ghost of aviation, she was swallowed by the sky.
    Or by the sea, like me she had a dream to fly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep
    I never said they were well built.
    I also had one of their 40 size Ultimates that was similarly poorly constructed - but it was a nice flying plane (for all of its six flights before I didn't bother rebuilding (for the second time) it when the fuselaged glued joints all came undone after a hard, but not extraordinarily hard, deadstick landing on a grass field).

I found that the F3a flies pretty well though (provided they are built straight and you don't land them hard).
    3W, BME and DA all the way. Proven power, Proven reliability and Proven support equals much cheaper in the long term.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: piroflip2

Hi guys

Sorry to bring a negative aspect to this thread but my experiences with a Groovy 90 (F3A) were that it was the worst ARTF that I have ever owned.

1. One of the canopy fixing dowels was missing, there was dried glue in the hole but no dowel. A Friday afternoon special if ever I saw one.
    2 The rudder was badly warped.
    3 Both ailerons were warped.
    4 The wing tube was caked in a rock hard milky white glue which took me hours to wet and dry off.
    5 When I’d cleaned and polished the tube it still would not go through the fuz because the female tube had several blobs of resin inside it.
    6 The pre-drilled holes in the wing were about an inch away from lining up with the wing tube fixing holes.
    7 There was glue splattered everywhere in the fuz, except where it was needed.
    8 The carbon u/c split after three of four feather like landings.
    9 The u/c fixing plate split shortly after this.
    10 The canopy split on about the tenth flight (yes, I balance my props on a magnetic balancer).
    9. The general build was poor with NO attention to detail. I got the impression that the fuz had been covered BEFORE the final sanding. The back end in particular was rough and defiantly unsanded under the covering.
    10. Although I actually finish second in my first ever F3A comp I was not impressed with the way it flew and gave it away to a club mate as a test bed for his new electric set-up. He didn’t like it either!
    Piroflip2

I think you must have been a bit unlucky. I have several WM planes, Groovy 50 3D, CAP 232-46R and a Mustang 60 and all have flown well and the finish/build has been pretty good. A couple of guys at my club have the 120 sized Ultimate and that seems a good plane too. Like all China ARFs there are issues with the build quality, but if your kit was that bad out of the box surely it should have been returned to the dealer?

Having said that the Groovy 50 3D is my least favourite plane, never really got to grips with it as a 3D plane. Had a lot of coupling on knife edge and just didn't seem to do the 3D thing too well - may have just been me?!! Had a YS63 up front which had plenty of power but not convinced on the design of this plane, hear good things about the 3A version of these.

Will be interesting to hear you review/views etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi drewbags

yes,,,,,,,,,i had a WM Extra300s 160 size (Moki 210)

it required 20% rudder elev coupling to K/E straight.
    it was also poorly built and covered.
    i have bought my last WM model
    The ghost of aviation, she was swallowed by the sky.
    Or by the sea, like me she had a dream to fly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to admit that I get mine direct and I inspect them before purchase; maybe the ones sent to the UK are not travelling well!! Have to say my CAP is well built and flies great. My mate had a midair with his, just broke the firewall away and landed it not problems - can't say the same for the Hype which exploded!!

The problem is these days that there are so many ARFs coming out of China and there is no doubt you get what you pay for and the quality control does vary. Unfortunately we pay a premium for everything here in the UK, so nothing is cheap and the high quality ones are way overpriced!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man, that is surprising. I was actually pretty impressed with the quality. NO glue on anything, everything fit like a glove so far. The ailerons were warped about 1\4".. I will say that. Now, if this thing requires 20% mix on KE, you better believe I am not going to go easy on it in the review. We will see. I would compare the quality to just under that of the showtime 4D bu Hanger 9.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

is the showtime 4D 90 not a good plane? i bought one i put a ys 110 in it it went together perfectly ( but haven't flown yet ) us there anything i shoujld expect when flying it for the first time? is it a bad flying plane or do some of the kits just come damaged/warped.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's a showtime thread in the 3d forum. The showtime is great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am in the process of finishing a Groovy 50 3D. The ARF quailty is awesome. I recently completed and flew the World Model's Tai Ji 90. That was probably the best quality ARF I have ever built. I have built Hangar 9 and Great Planes ARFs before this. Used to build kits before that. The hardware packages have been excellent. The only issue I have seen is that the covering is tough to shrink if it has wrinkles in it. However, the Groovy and Tai Ji have both been almost wrinkle free. Maybe I've been lucky with World Model kits since I live rather close to China and hence the shipping distance for the models is minimal.

Make sure that you reinforce the landing gear on the Groovy. I used hardwood blocks to mate the landing gear plate to the fuse. Hopefully, it will hold up well to landings.

Whaturi, please post a link to your review once you complete it. Thanks.
    If you don\'t succeed at first, then sky diving is not for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

falcon7a: I agree, I think the quality looks pretty good so far.. Mine didn't have many wrinklse and I am in north america. I also agree they can be a bit hard to shrink. I will post a link once i am done.. no problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have the 50 version, w/ a Saito 82 (plenty of power). Good airplane, although it shows its age quickly. The plane looks like it's been through years of abuse and its only got one season on it. The stock landing gear and mount were a joke. The angle of the gear looks cool, but it rips the plate out with even fast taxiing on a grass field. Eventually rebuilt the area and used UCD gear, no worries. The wing tube bent after a lot of hard snaps, resulting in a lot of dihedral and coupling. Sort of got it straight.

It's not a 3D airplane. It will harrier with full elevator and a rearward CG, do a nice harrier roll, and it does some great torque rolls. But what sets 3D airplanes apart, waterfalls, walls, blenders, are out of the question. If the elevator were twice as big then it would be a candidate, but then they'd probably have to redesign that split pushrod thing.

Great pattern type precision. Plenty of lateral lift, coupling was minimal (just a little roll coupling) until I bent the tube.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the 50 version also with the Saito 82 and a 13 x 8 prop.
    Awsome plane. Nicely put together nice covering.
    For an ARF I'd give it a 9.
    Thats why I purchased the 90 Groovy.
    I Used a ST 2300 and a tuned pipe.
    I haven't flown her yet, just waiting to get up the nerve.
    I reinforced the firewall, pad where the landing gear attach and
    added nylon bolts to attach the gear so it wouldn't be ripped off
    the bottom of the plane during a hard landing.
    We do have a 650 foot paved runway.

Any suggestions on the setup?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65737.jpg 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	643773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64096.jpg 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	643774  
    Ralph