Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Looking for a 3D plane

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Looking for a 3D plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a 3D plane

Several years ago a buddy had an Irvine 53 powered Pizazz 40. It's similar in size and performance to the Twist/Uproar/Dazzler and is a poor 3D flyer.

Actually I'm glad to hear you're flying an Avistar! It's a good basic aerobatic trainer. It sounds like you've already learned how to do the basic aerobatic maneuvers and you're ready for a more challenging plane.

But here is where you have to make some choices.

A.) Scale Aerobatic planes. The 40 size Extra/Katana/Edge type of planes will fly similar to your Avistar. The SA planes will probably knife edge better and have an overall more precise feel to them compared to your Avistar. You'll definitely enjoy flying them. But in the 40 size SA class, you won't find any that are good 3D planes because of the high wing loading. They are hard to 3D for someone who knows how, and nearly impossible to learn 3D with. You'll need to get up to at least a 1.20 size SA plane before the 3D performance begins to be reasonable.

B.) Sport Aerobatic planes with oversized control surfaces. The 40 size Pizazz/Twist/Uproar/Dazzler type of planes will fly like your Avistar on steroids. The oversize control surfaces will give you faster rolls and tighter loops than your Avistar. These planes will 3D better than the 40 Scale Aerobatic types, but still pretty much suck for learning 3D.

C.) 3D planes. If you're looking for a good 40 size 3D plane, you're pretty much restricted to the Mojo/Katana type of profile plane, or a 3D SPAD such as the SPA3D types. They have the large wing areas, lighter weights, and larger control surfaces that are needed for good 3D performance. Since 3D basically involves maneuvering the plane in a stalled condition, low wing loadings are needed to keep the stall speed down, and large control surfaces with large throws are needed to maintain control at these slow speeds. A 40 size profile will do everything the Twist type planes will do.....PLUS they can fly 3D when you're ready.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Rcjake97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about this!

http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=75
Old 02-18-2007, 12:37 PM
KingCobra2

Look at these--------> Scott
Attached Images   
Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 PM
KingCobra2

Check this one out. Challenging and YOU can grow into this one. I hear that it is a nice plane to fly.----Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25540.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	624175  
Old 02-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Dave McDonald

I'm sure the Aeroworks Edge is *capable* of performing some 3D maneuvers, but it's still not the best choice for *learning* 3D maneuvers because it's too heavy.

The Aeroworks Edge has nearly the same wing area as the OMP Katana 46 V2, but the Edge weighs about a pound more. The Edge and Mojo have about the same wing area, but the Edge weighs about a pound and a half more. This gives the profile planes a much lighter wing loading, which makes them easier to *learn* how to fly 3D.

Poorkid is coming straight off his Avistar, which is an advanced basic trainer. He hasn't even flown a low wing plane yet. Flying a 40 size Scale Aerobatic planes will still give him a thrill over his Avistar and help to further develop his aerobatic skills. Same thing with the Pizazz/Twist type planes. But neither of these types will make it easy to *learn* how to fly 3D. Only the profiles will let him further develop his aerobatic skills, AND make it easier to *learn* how to fly 3D.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:43 PM
KingCobra2

I most certainly agree with you there. I was just unsure how scale he wanted to go. He sounded like he wants to jump the gun and go near advance BUT, it would not be a safe idea, I think, at this time. There is and would be alot of money and time involved if a mistake were to happen. If he does go over board, he need to have a trainer(person) with him and he needs to> watch and learn> alot> before feeling comfortable taking the controls. Good-luck---)Scott

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

I'm sure the Aeroworks Edge is *capable* of performing some 3D maneuvers, but it's still not the best choice for *learning* 3D maneuvers because it's too heavy.

The Aeroworks Edge has nearly the same wing area as the OMP Katana 46 V2, but the Edge weighs about a pound more. The Edge and Mojo have about the same wing area, but the Edge weighs about a pound and a half more. This gives the profile planes a much lighter wing loading, which makes them easier to *learn* how to fly 3D.

Poorkid is coming straight off his Avistar, which is an advanced basic trainer. He hasn't even flown a low wing plane yet. Flying a 40 size Scale Aerobatic planes will still give him a thrill over his Avistar and help to further develop his aerobatic skills. Same thing with the Pizazz/Twist type planes. But neither of these types will make it easy to *learn* how to fly 3D. Only the profiles will let him further develop his aerobatic skills, AND make it easier to *learn* how to fly 3D.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Love2FlyMN

Ya..I think I'm a pretty good pilot..I can hover and stuff on the sim and do harriers and stuff on there too but Idk...I think what I might do is just go for a scale aerobatic plane first because I'm very drawn to the scale appearance of airplanes...then when I feel liek I'm ready to do some 3D flying I can buy a burrito or something and have a go with it :-D... But for now I have to find out which SA plane to buy.. I just had a guy who lives near me offer me a Cap 232 for 100 bucks so I think I'm gonna go check that airplane out and see if it's what I'm really looking for...
I really appreciate the input you guys have given me...keep the advice coming!!! :-D
Old 02-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Love2FlyMN

My thread is messed up..it's not showing the 3rd page so I have to reply to the previous poster from the 2nd page...I might just start a new one seeing which SA airplane I should get but I think I'll just search it on my own if I don't buy that one from the guy that lives near me
Old 02-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Love2FlyMN

Old 02-18-2007, 10:33 PM
KingCobra2

Good luck to ya. Keep us updated on what ya find out or get. I might go get me a bi plane as I think two wings are better than one and they look cool too. I wonder if Bi planes are easier to stunt with. Take care and look forward to more news on your hunt.------) Scott

ORIGINAL: poorkid

Ya..I think I'm a pretty good pilot..I can hover and stuff on the sim and do harriers and stuff on there too but Idk...I think what I might do is just go for a scale aerobatic plane first because I'm very drawn to the scale appearance of airplanes...then when I feel liek I'm ready to do some 3D flying I can buy a burrito or something and have a go with it :-D... But for now I have to find out which SA plane to buy.. I just had a guy who lives near me offer me a Cap 232 for 100 bucks so I think I'm gonna go check that airplane out and see if it's what I'm really looking for...
I really appreciate the input you guys have given me...keep the advice coming!!! :-D
Old 02-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Love2FlyMN

anyone know why my whole 3D section isn't working?? none of it updates so I have to reply on someone else's thread to get my stuff to show up..also I don't see any updates to the whole channel/thread thing
Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Love2FlyMN

a
Old 02-19-2007, 03:00 PM
KingCobra2

Your thread is looking good here. I can see all pages. Might be on your end.----->Scott
ORIGINAL: poorkid

a
Old 02-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Love2FlyMN

ya Idk what's happening..I'm signed in as poorkid, made a new acct but it says my post is under loves2flyMN
Old 02-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Love2FlyMN

is there any support forums to see why this is messed up??
Old 02-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Love2FlyMN

found it
Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

.40 size is tough for 3-D,you might be better off buying foamies if you can afford the initial cost of chargers,engines,SC ect... Then if it goes in, you only lost $40 instead of $150+ >40 size glow are harder to 3-D than larger models IMO,but you have to stay within your budget. Out of everyone I know at my club that does 3-D,only one of them could do it with .40 size,they all went up to 1.20 up to giants before they could do it all. Doest Great Planes make a foamy U-Can-Do? What ever you do,learn it at 30 ft up or higher before you even think about getting down low.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Love2FlyMN

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEDN9&P=0 How about this one for my 2nd plane?? It looks like it does some aerobatics pretty good, might be able to do a few 3d maneuvers.. But when I'm ready to go all out 3D I'm gonna buy a mojo or burrito or another profile plane.. I think this is a great choice as a plane for me .. anyone disagree??

or... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGPL7&P=0

I gotta read the reviews but I want to see what you guys have to say about both of these..which will take off/ land better, which one will be more aerobatic.. etc

I see that the Extra is way lighter than the G 202 so I might just get the extra...looks nice, sounds like it flies nice
Old 02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Dave McDonald

I don't know anything about quality of the Phoenix ARFs, so I won't say anything about them.

But since you're coming straight off an Avistar, this would be my recommendation of your next plane.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZT80&P=ML

It's not scale, but it will fly better than any of the SA planes you've mentioned. More importantly, this plane will let you truly hone your aerobatic skills so you'll be ready to take the next step into 3D.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:30 PM
KingCobra2

I do most certainly agree, because Dave knows and speaks from experience!!, this is a MUST step to get where you wanna be-------> Scott
ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

I don't know anything about quality of the Phoenix ARFs, so I won't say anything about them.

But since you're coming straight off an Avistar, this would be my recommendation of your next plane.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZT80&P=ML

It's not scale, but it will fly better than any of the SA planes you've mentioned. More importantly, this plane will let you truly hone your aerobatic skills so you'll be ready to take the next step into 3D.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Love2FlyMN

ya but honestly I think I'd outgrow this plane too fast.. I read reviews and all ppl are talking about is how good it lands and how straight it flies...they also had complaints about the covering coming off all over and a bad job with that.

Funstar 40 looks good as far as beginner type, lower wing loading, and the price is right.. I guess I couldn't go wrong with this plane..
Old 02-21-2007, 11:35 PM
KingCobra2

As for the FunStar 40> Go to "crash and Disscussion" and look up> Very Bad Luck<>> Tony built one and loves it!> Also says he 3D's at 600 ft in the air. good decision>>>>> Scott.
ORIGINAL: Love2FlyMN

ya but honestly I think I'd outgrow this plane too fast.. I read reviews and all ppl are talking about is how good it lands and how straight it flies...they also had complaints about the covering coming off all over and a bad job with that.

Funstar 40 looks good as far as beginner type, lower wing loading, and the price is right.. I guess I couldn't go wrong with this plane..
Old 02-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Dave McDonald

ORIGINAL: Love2FlyMN
ya but honestly I think I'd outgrow this plane too fast..
Outgrowing a plane is much more enjoyable than walking to the crash site of a plane that required building, setup, and piloting skills you haven't developed yet. The Kaos is simply the next logical step up from your Avistar.....without being too big of a step.

You might indeed be the 1 in 10 who can successfully skip over the Kaos type planes and go straight into the SA planes without a problem. But that also means there's a 90% chance that you will blow your SA plane away before you ever get the chance to outgrow it.

I read reviews and all ppl are talking about is how good it lands and how straight it flies...
Yep, the Kaos is one of the best flying sport planes you will ever get your thumbs on.

they also had complaints about the covering coming off all over and a bad job with that.
OK, you might need to touch up the factory covering on the Kaos with an iron and a heat gun to make it perfect. But what makes you think the Phoenix ARFs are built or covered any better?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Bolio

Words of wisdom!!!!!
Listen to the best advice.
Saludos.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Love2FlyMN

I think I'm honestly one of the 1-10 that can skip that step..I saw the pheonix models SU 31 or whatever that one is.. I read the reviews, all good reviews... I think I might go with that one... I know I'm skipping a step, and there's a chance for me to crash..but hey... I'm YOUNG and I'm STUPID don't forget :-D... BUt also I'm young and I have a better feel for controls (video games etc) that I played with growing up when my mind and body were developing.. I thinkt hat gives me a great edge on you (excuse me if this offends anyone at all) older ppl... but that's the way I've been raised.. I also have very good eyesight to see the direction of the plane etc..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.