Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Li-po batteries for receiver and ignition yes or no?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Li-po batteries for receiver and ignition yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Buggygovroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-po batteries for receiver and ignition yes or no?

After purchasing the needed regulator, batteries and plenty of research I wound up buying 2 lipo packs that would give me enough juice for a couple hours of flying before id need to charge and set her down for a while...

Someone at the LHS today said using lipos for receiver packs/ignition packs is not a good idea because they can't stand up to the vibrations and may cause a dead short. Is this a good possibility or is it something wrapping my batts in foam will fix? Has anyone had problems using lipo instead of nimh? I've cut weight down considerably and using lipos was one of the bigger reductions compared to what I would have to use in nimh packs.

Im flying a Hangar 80" Cap 232 if that makes a difference. Also a evo 45gx2 5 digital servos and 2 standard servos. Approximately how many flights will a 2200 mah receiver pack last on moderate 3d, casual cruising?

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Buggygovroom

Default RE: Li-po batteries for receiver and ignition yes or no?

Sorry, I probably should have posted this in the gas engine forums.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:56 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

there are many people using LiPo... yes they are quite a bit more fragile. Isolate them well, wrap them well and you "should" be OK...

the downside of LiPo is you really should remove them from the airframe whenever you charge them....

I use LiIon as they are much more stable....
Old 03-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Rocketman_

I'm also using Li-Ion with no problems. It's an old practice but I still wrap my batteries and receiver in foam rubber.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:54 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

YES.

LiPos are great batteries, lightweight and easy to work with.

They hold a lot of power and keep their charge over time.

Because they are so light, they can be mounted with velcro very easily and removed easily for charging.

Look at the SmartFly regulators and especially the SuperReg for dual redundant power and switching on LiPos, at very light weight. It also handles ignition very well.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:16 PM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

I've been told the same thing about LiPo's delicate nature combined with vibration. What I have found is that I have the same LiPo packs in an Extra for two hard seasons without problems. 7.4V 900 on ignition and a 7.4V 2100 on RX through an MPI HD adjustable reg.
I personally beat on LiPo's pretty good when flying foamies in the dome during winter months. They seem to withstand impact very well. Time will tell if vibration is an issue. BTW, I hold them in with velcro. I don't want to wrap them in foam so that they stay cool. Just my experience to date. Joe
Old 03-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Buggygovroom

My packs are similar. I have an 1180 on the ignition and a 2220 on the receiver. I planned on wrapping them in pretty thick foam since I doubt they will get hot from high current draw or even nominal. They are 20C/40C burst packs but I will meter the output and look around before I maiden with them.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: Buggygovroom
... I planned on wrapping them in pretty thick foam since I doubt they will get hot from high current draw or even nominal.
My 2800mah Li-ion's don't get hot wrapped in foam in any of my 1.60 size 3D planes. Keep in mind that you're not running a high drain electric power motor with your batteries.
I've seen unprotected Velcro'd receivers get ejected and pulverized and Ni-Cd batteries get bent in crashes and that makes me wary of naked Lithium chemistry batteries in my planes. I don't know if foamie crashes can be compared to the severity of big glow and gasser crashes.

I witnessed a crash where an unprotected Li-Po was ejected from the model and showed no signs of distress until a few minutes after the crash then it swelled up and began to smoke.

Oh well, maybe my foam rubber is just a security blanket but I feel better with it.