Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

edge, yak, extra, cap....?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

edge, yak, extra, cap....?

Old 04-15-2007, 10:18 PM
dzydvl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default edge, yak, extra, cap....?

i'm just starting out in 3d i am flying a fun force fw-190. looking for my first "real plane" whats the diferance between an edge 540, yak 54, extra 260 or 330, cap, etc. and which one is best suited for 3d flying all info and input is greatly appreciated link to info would also be awsome thank you
Old 04-15-2007, 10:40 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: edge, yak, extra, cap....?

yak, edge, and cap are 3d mosters if set up correctly
Old 04-15-2007, 11:37 PM
FlooredCOBRA

That is a big question. All of them can 3D very well. It just comes down to personal preference and what you like better compared to the others. As for me I like the Edge because how well it flies and I love the looks.

If possible if any of your friends have the different types maybe they can let you try it out. That way you can feel for yourself what you like better. That can give you maybe a ball park idea at least since everyone sets their radio programming up different. I have flown the same plane with different programing set ups and the plane felt different. But overall had the same characteristics if that makes any sense.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:49 PM
dzydvl

i know they are all 3d planes does one have more rudder, elevator, or a faster roll rate? or are the differances more cosmetic than proformace? as far as flying with friends i im teaching my self to fly the closest club is over an hour away i fly with two other guys, we are all learning together its been fun, too say the least. hey at least i'm getting good at fixing planes.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Well here is a break down from my point of view....

Edge.. very nice tumbles, KE spins are very fast, blenders very violent - lacks precision for things outside of 3D
Cap - awesome harriers / rolling harriers, loves inverted as well - lacks precision
Yak - pretty much great all the way around, probably the fastest roll rate - does 3D and precision nicely
Extra - good 3D - good everything as well as the Yak - I lean towards Extras and have owned all 4 and flown everything from GP - comp arf - to Carden

If you are only worried about 3D I would prob go with an Edge.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Extra - good 3D - good everything as well as the Yak - I lean towards Extras and have owned all 4 and flown
sinergy
I agree with u 110%
Old 04-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

I couldn't agree more with sinery's assessment.

I would like to add that the Edge is the most stable of all of them in slow 3D maneuvers......you can be a bit heavy on the wing loading with the Edge and get by with it. If this is your first 3D plane and you're teaching yourself, I would give the nod to the Edge......
Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Dzydvl, I hope you don't mind me chimming in. How do you gentlement feel about the Katana and its characteristics? Thanks in advance to all of you ahd be well.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:03 PM
dzydvl

thank you blueline the katana along with others are what i meant with the etc. there are so many 3d air plane designs out there and for me hard to tell the differance other than color.
by the way with the extras whats the 300 260 330 mean?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Dzydvl,
I'm exactly the same boat as you, as for appearance I love the Katana. There are only a few kit/arf manufacturers out there that stay true to "its" lines such as the wing fillets on the following pic. If you'll notice where the wings join the fuselage the fillets are angled gently and its sutbtle differences like these make all the diffference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88841.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	666331  
Old 04-21-2007, 10:40 PM
dzydvl

can someone tell me what the differant numbers in the extra names mean?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:42 AM
RVM

That's an awesome picture. I'm surprised the elevator is as small as it is relative to other full scale aerobats I've seen.

I never realized the wing fillets were so prominent on the Katana.

ORIGINAL: blueline

Dzydvl,
I'm exactly the same boat as you, as for appearance I love the Katana. There are only a few kit/arf manufacturers out there that stay true to "its" lines such as the wing fillets on the following pic. If you'll notice where the wings join the fuselage the fillets are angled gently and its sutbtle differences like these make all the diffference.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:43 AM
RVM

Generally, it's the horsepower rating of the engine.

The Extra 260 has a 260hp engine. The Extra 300 has a 300hp engine, so on and so forth. The Extra 330s have 330 hp engines, but these are not supplied by the factory I do not believe.

ORIGINAL: dzydvl

can someone tell me what the differant numbers in the extra names mean?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:23 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

The 260 has the wing mounted in the center part of the fuse, where the others 300, 330 have the wing mounted towards the bottom of the fuse. The 260 in full scale also has a cockpit more towards the rear of the plane so the pilot clears the wing spar. The 260 is only a single seater where some of the 300's are 2 seat planes.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 PM
dzydvl

ok i've prety much settled on an extra i like that its an all around flyer and i like the looks better than the yak. couple of quiestions though. how does the differant wing placement on the fuse efect flight characteristics? and recomendation on an afr kit in the 60 size range this will be my first plane of this size?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

you will probably only find an extra 300 in that size.

Dont be too worried about it... an Extra 300 330 and 260 all fly extremely well!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:15 AM
RVM

Fliton Extra 330 would be a good plane.

The NitroPlanes 63" Extra looks real nice too.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:55 AM
pliebo

the fliton edge, extra and inspire are all awesome and they are so nimble for 3-d . I like the extra better than the edge.
The maxair velox revolution II is very stable in high alpha, but it's a 90 size. I would also highly reccomend the QQ yak. they have them in many sizes, and they are very hard to beat!