Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Dual Servo for Elevator - Extra 330

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Dual Servo for Elevator - Extra 330

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:28 PM
fritzjd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Servo for Elevator - Extra 330

Hello,

I am setting up a CG Extra 330 77" with dual servos for the elevator as I am running a Brillelli 46
and wanted some more weight in the back.
I have a Tower Hobbies 6Xm computer radio and can not figure out how to get this to work.
If I program either Ch 5 or 6 as the slave servo I only get travel with the master servo in one direction. And none in
the other. What I am doing wrong ? New to computer radios. Do I need to go to a 7 channel ?
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Dual Servo for Elevator - Extra 330

I don't think you can program dual elevator servos on a 6 channel Futaba radio I may be wrong. I know you can with the JR 6102 if you want to stay with a 6 channel radio. A much cheaper option would be a servo reversing Y-harness for the elevator. The servo reverser is not the preferred method but it does work. I hope this helps you.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

Hello Fritz,

I will try to answer your question to the best of my abilities from experience. 1st I have the same setup on my Futaba 9ch radio. The only way with my radio I can mix the elevators is on a 8ch receive because channel 8 is the one that mixes with the Elevator channel I think channel 2, so i was forced to get an 8 CH receive. It also depends on what radio you have that will enable you to mix with ANY other AUX channels.

If that doesent work, You may get this thing from the hobby shop that looks simular to a Y connector but its makes the 2 servo's go The same direction and thats perfect for dual elevator servo's if you dont have the capabilty with your radio. and thats inexpensive and works well, I used it before.

I hope i answered your question. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:50 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

NJAIRSTRIKE, If you have a 9C you can use channel 5 and not 8 for the second elev. This way a 7ch RX can be used.

David
Old 06-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hitec Optic 6 is one of the very few (maybe the only one) 6 channel radio that can be set up for dual elevator servos, with independent trim, epa, etc. for either servo. Your Tower Hobbies radio is probably made by Futaba and it won't let you program dual servos for your elevators, you will need a servo reverser.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 PM
00airman

If You are good with a soldering iron you could open up the servo, and reverse the normal direction of servo by swapping the wires that connect directly to the servo motor inside the servo case as well as the little servo wiper that moves as the servo moves.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:34 AM
hitcttd
My Feedback: (8)

You could also buy an inline reverser... It's a little cheaper, it only reverses one servo, you connect it between your normal Y chord your servo. BUT... If you're going to use this thing for really precise 3D, please invest in a either a good radio or a good reverser. The cheaper ones are extremely hard to get right to where it's perfectly matched. My problem was that i could could never get them to move at the EXACT same speed, and at times hard to get them to have the same throw.

Remember also that if you do it right, the servos for the elevators should be high torque and/or high speed sevos, which require a lot of juice to power. If you're doing a Y chord setup, get an HD one. The heavy duty Y chords have thicker guage wire that accomodate the extra draw.

I once used an okay Y chord on my ailerons, (before i knew better and split them) one aileron would sometimes get STUCK up top, problem was fixed when i changed the Y chord, but then i made sure it never happened again and split the ailerons into two channels...

My advice is that if you're going to be flying big planes and/or aerobatics, buy a good radio. The optic 6 is good, it can mix 2 elevator servos. Futaba's 9C is the smallest radio that allows this, that's what I use.

hope this helps!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Toni Arte

ORIGINAL: hitcttd
You could also buy an inline reverser... It's a little cheaper, it only reverses one servo, you connect it between your normal Y chord your servo. BUT... If you're going to use this thing for really precise 3D, please invest in a either a good radio or a good reverser. The cheaper ones are extremely hard to get right to where it's perfectly matched. My problem was that i could could never get them to move at the EXACT same speed, and at times hard to get them to have the same throw.
I had the same problem on my .46 U-Can-Do, with Hitec Eclipse 7 transmitter. It does allow mixing, the programmable mixers do not work with trims -> the trim would only affect the other elevator half. I first tried a cheap servo reverser Y-harness, but the problem with that was that the centering of the reversed servo was never quite right, it was sensitive to the temperature and battery voltage. I considered modifying the servo (reversing the motor and potentiometer wires), but then found out that the receiver I have (Schultze Alpha 8.35W) is actually programmable. So I just mixed channel 2 into channel 7 on the receiver itself, using the programming cable and the Schultze PC software.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fritzjd,

What I use to do was when I bought my servos I'd have one reversed internally by [link=http://www.servocity.com/]Servo City[/link] where I bought the servos. If it was a digital servo there was no cost because they could use their programmer but if it was not digital it cost around $8.00. I have in the past sent servos to them and they would reverse it and all I had to pay was the shipping which was nothing.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:36 AM
00airman

fritzjd, did you get it figured out? Just ask if you need any more help. Theres a wealth of information between all of us here. Dont be shy.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:30 PM
fritzjd

Hello All,

Thanks for all the great responses. I ordered a EMS servo reverser from Tower and will probably get it tonight.
I won't be doing any precise aerobatics or anything so it should work I guess. I have my eye on a 9C without servos ($310 with Tower discount) down the road.
Will let you guys know how it goes as soon as I get it installed.
Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:19 PM
i live for 3D
Banned

check out www.servocity.com .....i think you could get a 9CAP with out servos or reciever for $250 with free shipping
Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 PM
fritzjd

Gentlemen,

Installed the EMS reverser and works like champ. Servos synched up easily.
Thanks to everyone for the quick and insighful answers.
If you think of anything I should be aware of please let me know.
John