3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Jim Leroy killed in Ohio crash

Old 08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
timothy thompson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Jim Leroy killed in Ohio crash

he has a right to voice his opinion, i watched some of jims stuff on you tube and it was going to be a matter of time. from watching the vid i think he was obscured in his own smoke and didnt see how close the ground was to him. there were others up with smoke on they were doing a routine called marys lamb
Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
timothy thompson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the thread on oskosh got shut down due to flaming people for opinions
Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 PM
traxxboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree, I think the smoke obscured his vision and he couldnt see the ground. I sa that video to. I am sorry if I flamed you timothy Thompson on the oshkosh p-51 thread.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
timothy thompson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no problem tell tburly to let it go too would you

thanks like I said i should have worded the post better, i in no was meant to say gerry wasnt qualified.

rudness on the internet was a front page headline in our local paper
Old 08-01-2007, 02:12 PM
sceptre2003

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I myself was thinking did he just not see the ground as he expected due to the excessive smoke in the immediate area of the stunt. This was an issue for Jim during his morning famous "Ribbon Cutting" stunt. Twice he had to pulled out early and start over due to "too much smoke" being in the immediate area where the stunt was taking place. In fact, during that stunt, Jim was being broadcast over the air shows PA system. The crowd could hear what he was saying. Jim via the PA said himself; "there’s too much smoke and I’ll need to come back around and try again" (not his exact words obviously). Finally on the 3rd attempt he completed the stun successfully.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 PM
timothy thompson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

was it a hot day? air density could have affected his show and that changer drasticaly from am to pm
Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Bill Lowen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

he has a right to voice his opinion, i watched some of jims stuff on you tube and it was going to be a matter of time. from watching the vid i think he was obscured in his own smoke and didnt see how close the ground was to him. there were others up with smoke on they were doing a routine called marys lamb
I saw Codename: Mary's Lamb at the Goshen, Indiana FreedomFest. It rocked. Gave me goosebumps. Skip, Jim and Shockwave put on one heck of a good show that day..
Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 PM
sceptre2003

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

While at the Dayton air show on Saturday, I took photos of Jim’s performance during the day and up until Jim’s crash. I created a special photo gallery on my website of the photos of him that I took. I invite you to look at the photos if you want. These are sequential photos of his routine earlier in the day: www.rcphotos.teamastro.com I placed a link on my Home Page or go to [Photos], it's the 1st gallery on the list. There are some really cool and awesome photos of the greatest, doing the amazing and doing what no doubt he was born to do. Godspeed Jim LeRoy.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:07 AM
MikeEast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Someone mentioned closing the thread. It seems to be back on track now so I am going to leave it open for now and just keep and eye on it.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Bill Lowen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

everyone back in the pool and play nice
Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 AM
KTCY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From all of your old friends and acquaints in San Joaquin Valley. Every time we look to up at the box and see some nut trying something new, you will come to mind and bring a smile to our faces…
Rest in peace,

Hu-yah!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:43 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim,

REST IN PIECE CHAMPION and ROLE MODELl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved ya,

Gibbs
Old 08-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Cambo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am still curious as to what happened. Form the looks of the video i saw it looks like piloting error.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:41 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cambo,

It just looks like the ground jumped up and bit him. He was probably lost in the smoke as far as his altitude was concerned. I know one thing and that I doubt it was pilot error, but maybe a judgment issue. I think he was trying to hard to please the crowd and paid for it with his life. It is real sad. He was my favorite stunt and airshow pilot. I will sorely miss Jim.

Gibbs
Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 PM
p-80

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what would realy be bad is if he died from smoke or fire god i only hope that was not the case
Old 08-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Bigtone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Coroner’s office identified the blunt force trauma of the impact as the cause of death in the accident.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM
rcflyer54

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

man that sucks! He was a awwesome pilot.[]
Old 08-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Strykaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Coroner’s office identified the blunt force trauma of the impact as the cause of death in the accident.
Couldn't it be a cover-up for the poor firefighter 's response ? Isn't there any official investigation on the agenda ? Or is what you say final investigation result ? Do you think his family will sue the airport local authorities ? Just a few questions ...
Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Bigtone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Coroner's Director Ken Betz said LeRoy, 46, died of blunt force trauma to the cervical spine and torso, and the death will be ruled an accident. Public records show LeRoy was from Lake City, Fla. "It's our opinion he died instantly. There are no signs of smoke or fire inhalation," Betz said. "He hit the ground at 200 mph. He fractured his neck. He was dead at the time of impact." Betz said the accident at the air show site at Dayton International Airport occurred at 2:42 p.m. Saturday. LeRoy was pronounced dead at 3:05 p.m. en route to Miami Valley Hospital in an Army Black Hawk helicopter.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Rocketman_

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mithrandir

I hope other AirShow pilots WITH CHILDREN learn from this and give their children
top priority and fly a little safer or they will end up with a widow and fatherless children too.

My best wishes for the survivors.
I'm in agreement with that statement whether the pilot has children or not. To enjoy the thrills of an air show I don't need to see a pilot fly on the ragged edge of disaster. He just needs to show me his skills at performing difficult and unusual maneuvers without injecting additional dangers into his line of work.

Years ago I saw this couple flying matching aerobatic planes where the husband did a snap roll almost immediately after the wheels left the ground and the wing tip almost contacted the ground. That stunt pissed me off so bad that it was difficult for me to enjoy the rest of their routine. There are just too many variables in weather, wind, temperature, air density, engine performance and pilot reaction time to think that you can cut it that closely 100% of the time. How dare he risk killing himself and ruining the day for thousands of air show fans.

I love air shows and have been attending them since the Thunderbirds flew Republic F-84 Thunderjets and the Blue Angels flew Grumman F9F Panthers trailing blue and red smoke (colored water) from their tip tanks. In all those years I've seen only three incidents, one of which ended in a ball of fire but luckily all the pilots walked away. I think air shows are generally safe until someone decides to push the envelop just a little bit too far .

Sincere condolences to the LeRoy family on the loss of Jim.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Strykaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Bigtone

The info below is not to offend anyone, this is the truth, Jim was a good friend of mine.

Coroner's Director Ken Betz said LeRoy, 46, died of blunt force trauma to the cervical spine and torso, and the death will be ruled an accident. Public records show LeRoy was from Lake City, Fla. "It's our opinion he died instantly. There are no signs of smoke or fire inhalation," Betz said. "He hit the ground at 200 mph. He fractured his neck. He was dead at the time of impact." Betz said the accident at the air show site at Dayton International Airport occurred at 2:42 p.m. Saturday. LeRoy was pronounced dead at 3:05 p.m. en route to Miami Valley Hospital in an Army Black Hawk helicopter.
Thank you Bigtone for this very detailed explanation.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Bigtone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: RocketMan

To enjoy the thrills of an air show I don't need to see a pilot fly on the ragged edge of disaster. He just needs to show me his skills at performing difficult and unusual maneuvers without injecting additional dangers into his line of work.
Ok, I had enough of this, Jim loved what he did, his wife did also. I know Jim's airshow act like the back of my hand. All of Jim's solo and team airshow acts are planned and pacticed. A loss of visual may have cause this untimely death. A man has died, I had enough of some people throwing salt on Jim's casket. Pay your respects and keep you options respectful please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How would you feel if your family lost you and people throw salt on your casket?

Pay your respects and keep you options respectful please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:42 PM
nitro wing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

C'mon guys.It is embarassing having people keep fueling the fire with little off remarks.It is a sensitive time for many.Please keep this thread respectful.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Scrape

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The block feature works quiet well. Only if you knew who should be on it. I've rather have not seen some of these post.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 PM
3dsky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Bigtone.

My family was at EAA when this happened watching other airshow pilots perform. My 7 year old son and I are big Bulldog fans and we were hopping to see his act, but he was not on the list of performers.

Jim was an awesome pilot, like many others that perform. I grew up going to air shows and like my son we will talk about what we saw for years. The first airshow I went to I saw Bob Hover perform in the 60’s and I still remember it. These pilots inspire us to be better pilots.

Rocketman………..I had the chance to spend a weekend with the airshow husband and wife team. They were the French Connection, Montaine Mallet and Daniel Heligoin, also two awesome pilots and great people to talk to. They were both killed when their CAP 10’s collided. I took a weekend of aerobatic lessons from Montaine in the airshow CAP 10B and learned a lot about flying that weekend, both great teachers. Miss them too.
http://www.icasfoundation.org/hall_f...connection.htm

I am shocked the path that this posting has taken. The day I got married I stopped flying full size and may never pick it up again. Now I have a 7 year old son and 12 year old daughter and the whole family enjoys airshows. I do talk about the risks to my kids of what may happen. I stopped flying over the time required to stay safe and with a family it is hard for me to make time. People take chances every minute of our lives and I now my days are numbered but to stop doing something that your love to do because you have a wife and kids make no sense. I talk about Patty Wagstaff, Jim LeRoy and Bob Hover and others as examples of the level of commitment you will need to succeed in anything you do in life. Airshow pilots have a job no different than any other risky job that people have. I want my kids to have a passion for what ever live has for them. The Jim’s of this world leave something behind, and Jim’s son should be proud of what his dad accomplished.

My family will miss Jim’s flying, our sincere condolences to the Leroy family….

Search this Thread