Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtana 50 vs. Pulse XT

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtana 50 vs. Pulse XT

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:23 PM
combatroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 50 vs. Pulse XT

Hello All,

I'm looking into buying myself my first aerobatic/3d plane and "I think" I have narrowed it down to either the Funtana 50 or the Pulse XT with a slight lean towards the Pulse XT. I'd like to keep it under $200..I want to get into kinife edges, outside looks, maybe a little harrier flying.

I intend on removing the evolution .46 and all electronics out of my Hangar 9 Arrow and placing them in my new plane. I've been flying glow for 3 years now (Arrow 40, with 2 blade prop and The hangar 9 Mustang PTS with 2 blade prop and no training gear).

I feel very comofrtable flying both of these planes and frankly looking for some more challenge, speed, and excitment.

I've also seen some pictures of the World Models Cap 232 (green castrol model) which looks like a beautiful plane but can't find it for sale anywhere.

Any suggestions, thoughts, and comments are highly appreciated.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 PM
samtech

Default RE: Funtana 50 vs. Pulse XT

Well, If you want to go fast stay away from the funtana. It's a real slow flyer. Knife edge performance is.... well... It's not to great. With the SFG's on it'll do it all day but it looses most of that crisp feel. Just keep it going slow. If you don't, be prepaired to go looking for pieces of your wing. Also, I don't think your 46 is up to the task. It will fly but the vertical will suck.
The green 232... a buddy of mine had one. A little on the heavy side...Lot's of coupling but all in all a great flyer. Might think about a ultimate bipe. Major rudder and most aren't to snappy.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:42 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Apples and Oranges. I have a Pulse and although it is a great sport aerobatic plane, it won't 3D well at all. It just isn't built for it. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good flying airplane but some of the things you mentioned like knife edge it will only just do...not do well or very neutral and it doesn't have enough rudder to do a knife edge loop. I would look into one of the profile planes like an OMP edge or a Mojo if you are looking for a tough 3D trainer plane.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 PM
-StephenSampson-

not true at all! my brother won a pulse xt from a fun fly, we put an os 55ax in it and it goes vertical for ever, hovers, knife esges, spins etc fine. it also flies fast, slow, inverted all just as well. i have a showtime 90 which is definately more 3d but the pulse is capable....with all rates as high as phsically possible without modifying how it hinges or cutting the wood on surface and stab at a steeper degree. but it hovers awesome and easy. and pullout is forever.

but i had a funtana s 40 and i loved it. funtanas are slow, not presice, won't knife edge, wings rock, but....they are such a blast anyway that it doesnt matter....but if all you have is a 46, dont bother with either plane. performance will be like a 3.8/10. where as buy a 55 for pulse or slightly bigger for funtana and will be awesome. 46 is only really good in an omp katana/edge or something like that. and my brother also has one of these and it flies awesome on os 46ax.

great hobbies is now a canadian distributor for ohio model planes ( omp ) and they have very good prices and sell everything you need to get it flying if you dont have already. they also offer prompt and curtious service and shipping is good. ( first class, express, priority, ups, purolator, fed ex, etc... ) many options as you can see....and they also ship to us.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

Wow thats funny I have a funtana X 50 with a OS 46 AX spinning a 11x5 master air screw prop. It will invert flatspin and hold altitude, it'll hover and pull out, and knife edge if you know how to and a little aileron and slight elevator. How ever I haven't flown the pulse so I can't compare. On the other hand if I need to do crazy 3-D I fly my scratch built Morris Knife that weights in at 5 1/2 lbs. and has a Saito 91 4 stroke on it.. Now that is intense vertical..lol.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:42 AM
richgrow

I'd Look at Phoenix Funstar for Engine You have. I own all 3 Birds. Phoenix is light and flies Super with 46 on it. It's a real Crowd Pleaser and Surprises Many!!! richgrow
Old 09-07-2007, 05:56 PM
zoott

Look into a 3dhobby extra shp . Its electric but flies great. I have a pulse xt and i barely even fly it anymore.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:17 PM
combatroy

Thanks for the input guys...I may go for the pulse xt and fork over some extra cash at put a 55ax on her...i've been watching some youtube vids and I'm really thinking the pulse would be my next step.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:17 AM
THEKMAN

I have been flying my Pulse with a .46 for quite a while now and I love the plane. It's been my bread & butter at the field for about 6 months now. It's a sport flyer though, not a 3D plane. I just purchased a Funtana X50 with a Saito .82 as I wanted to pursue 3D. I just crashed it last Sunday. A word of advice...don't even consider the the Funtana X50. It's flying characteristics are terrible and the CG is no where to be found. The wing rock is really bad...your just on pins and needles flying the thing.

If you want a great sport plane for fun aerobatic flying, the Pulse is great. But it's not a 3D plane. I'm investigating the U CAN DO 3D by Great Planes. In the mean time, my Pulse is charging as we speak to go flying tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

The pulse is just not a good 3d flyer. Some people might think they can 3d it but i assure you it can't do agresive 3d.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:01 PM
eltbone

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in with the x50 Funtana.. I agree with TheKman, the X50 is a horrible plane do to the the design of the wing. I crashed my X50 as well to a accelerated tip stall that occurs everytime without fail, the problem is I never know which way the plane is going to stall or twist in high alpha manuevers.. I recently purchased a Twist 40 and have been flying this plane 90% of the time eventhough I have the Funtana back in flying order, also this plane has a saito .82 as well. The Twist 40 is a great plane and extremely reliable in most of the 3d manuevers.. Harriers are very difficult but the plane flys by itself other than that. I have a yak 54 Electric, Typhoon 3d, X50, 300s extra and Giles 202. The Twist is the most fun to fly.. Just my thoughts.. I have a Magnum 62 4 stroke in the Twist and it could use a bit more power. I have to hover at full throttle and can not hug the ground with that limited amount of power. I think with the .46 you will be a little under powerd. I know there are alot of people out there with .46 s on the twist but it must be under powerd with it.

Hanger 9 make the Tribute which is another profile style plane with 3d capabilities and is almost exactly like the twist but the weight is quite a bit less. I was going to go with this plane before the twist.. Might be another option.