Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Rockfree Harrier for Anyone

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Rockfree Harrier for Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:19 PM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rockfree Harrier for Anyone

Just wanted to share what I discovered today. I have been flying my 2nd F90 for a while now. I finally discovered how to harrier with no wing rocking on command.

I set up the tallest toggle switch above my throttle stick on my 9C with spoilerons. This switch turns the spoilerons on and off. The amount of spoiler (both ailerons up) is adjustable in flight with the knob next to the switch. I had tried different amounts of spoileron in flight by toggling the switch on after adjusting the knob but never maxed it out. The wing rocking was always terrible.

This afternoon, I decided to play with spoilerons once again. I found that dialing in max amount of up instantly popped my F90 into a harrier that was totally free of any wing rocking. It was amazingly easy to do. I would line up 1/2 mistake high over the run way, throttle down, flip the switch and the F90 instantly goes nose high allowing me to work the throttle and the elevator to harrier it in: absolutely no wing rocking. Steer with rudder if necessary, watch it harrier in (like Kyle W.), just before it gets too low (inches above ground) throttle up, flip the switch up and fly it out level.

Max spoilerons are about 2.5" at the trailing edge. Make absolutely sure that you have a reliable engine.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:02 AM
walterPPK

Default RE: Rockfree Harrier for Anyone

I'm gonna look into this today... Do you think it works with any model?, I got a GP Yak54.

So I just make both ailerons turn up to the maximum while maintaining the aileron capability?. or just make the go as high as possible without any possibility of working as ailerons?

I been trying to harrier this model but the wing rocking is just too violent to control.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:46 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

coronabob, You should try using the trainer switch. I have a spoileron mix in all of my planes. It use the trainer switch so I can let go in a hurry. it's not a big deal for a harrier but when doing an elevator or a wall I don't want to fumble for the switch.

david
Old 09-29-2007, 11:58 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Guys:

Am not sure relying on the radio to do something like this is the best way to go in the long run. Sorta like correcting knife edge with the radio when you can learn to do it yourself. Then making the correction is automatic in your head and therefore become a better pilot. Usually, a lot of wing rock says there is something in your plane that is off kilter, usually a warp in the aileron, or ballance. I have several that were rockers when new, but sorted out through fighting the thing and now fly rock solid. A rcx foamy, 40 sized pogo, and UCD of all things plus a QQ 73" gasser Yak 54. Have never been able to sort out my banshee, to lazy to build a new warped left aileron. All of these planes require that you go into the attitude slowly. If you yank it nose up, they all rock hard and sometines impossible to get them back most of the time, but not always. Its the occasional solid yank-um up harrier that bothers me cause you can do it again a small percentage of the time. These are just obversations from a very old pilot who has to fight for every 3D skill acquired. Keep supprising the gang which is a lot of fun, but kill my fair share of birds also. Seems like once you get rolling harriers down fairly well, almost everything else is very simple. Just food for thought and another attitude to look at. ENJOY
Old 09-29-2007, 12:16 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I hit spoilerons on my big Ultimate, it's easy to get into Harrier mode. This worked well on my .40 size Extra 260 also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17874.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	772593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79168.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	772594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59495.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	772595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59569.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	772596  
Old 09-29-2007, 02:11 PM
acarter

do you guys think this will work with a H9 Twist, i hope to get it out today and try it out
Old 09-29-2007, 03:19 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

rmenke, I agree with you for the most part. However some planes just do some things better than others. For example I have had a Funtana40 and now have a F50X. i have yet to see one that did not wing rock upright. the spoilerons don't even cure the problem just help. Spoilerons also make your plane do things it wont do without them. For example. I use spoilerons on Elevators. My planes will drop straight down at idle with the fuse level to the earth. I don't know of a plane that does that without the mix. It may be cheating but it's fun.

David
Old 09-29-2007, 04:11 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: acarter

do you guys think this will work with a H9 Twist, i hope to get it out today and try it out
Just try it and see. Make sure your up high so you have plenty of room to see how it will react. My small plane likes to nose dive unless I'm on the elevator.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:13 PM
walterPPK

Spoilerons set for tomorrow!...

Old 09-29-2007, 08:41 PM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

I have not tried it with the rest of the fleet but I believe they will do it like my F90. I am currently flying: PA Laser 120, Aeroworks Profile Extra 80", Balsa Nova 120, DP Ultimate 120, H9 Funtana 90, and a Zero 72" warbird. Except for the Zero, I have tried numeroust times to harrier all these and they all rock their wings.

I set up my dial so I can turn it CW for spoileron (upright harrier) and CCW for flaperon (inverted harrier). After I dial in CW or CCW, I toggle it on and off. Using a trainer switch sounds like something to try. However, I don't want to hold a switch down since I have to steer with rudder and jockey the throttle.

I have aileron movements with it maxed out for spoileron/flaperon but not much. I will measure and see if it was 2.5" that I thought. It is so much fun and easy to do - why not? I can never be like Kyle W. The most amazing thing is the darn plane locks into a harrier solid, not a hint of rocking.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:14 PM
randomhero86
Banned

man that ultimate is one nice looking plane. who makes it if you dont mind me asking?
thanks
Old 09-30-2007, 03:39 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: randomhero86

man that ultimate is one nice looking plane. who makes it if you dont mind me asking?
thanks
Thanks. I scratch built from Sig's plans that were doubled in size.