Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Who's flyin a Giant UCD??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Who's flyin a Giant UCD??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who's flyin a Giant UCD??

Getting ready to set up a GUCD and need to know how they are being set up. Motor, servos, weaknesses, ect. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:28 AM
toothpick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who's flyin a Giant UCD??

ok the gucd is a beautiful model
A good motor for it would be a 40cc'er of any type.
good servos would be hitec hs 5945mg's
This is the best set up to have.
Their weaknesses are, the landing gear will eventually part from the aircraft but this happens on all ucd's so the only way to fix it is to wait intil it does break them re-inforce it then.

happy flying
Old 10-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Steve

I'll check the landing gear area. I tossed my Tigre 3000 in for now, but I may change it out in the Spring. I'm going to try and test fly in tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 AM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

40cc gas is the best engine setup for this plane. I used the ZDZ40 in mine and it fit inside the cowl very well. As for the landing gear, I made an aluminum plate to go over both gear parts and tied them together. It seemed to help quite a bit.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Steve

I was looking at that. I wonder if I can get one on the inside? I know I'll have to pop out the blind nuts and use regular ones.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Steve

I fired up the Tigre today and tested the CG also. With the big Super Tigre I had to add some tial weight for the ballance to get to 6 1/4 inches aft of the leading edge. Once I tuned the motor I checked trust to weight and the plane wanted to pull verticle out of my hands when I pointed the nose up at full throtle. I think this motor will work fine for me. I may go with the 3250 if summer time days make a big differance in performance.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Steve

I put 5 flights on the GUCD and can say that the Super Tigre 3000 is marginal for 3D flying. I pulls out of a hover, but just barly!! This plane also needs the full length ailerons. I tried just using the outer ailerons and flaps for the inner, but it just aint enough aileron for high alfa stuf. I'm going to program them for flaperons so I'll have full length ailerons and see how it goes. The plane is very stable in a hover and also haiers very well. Knife edge loops are tight, one after the other, with full rudder deflection. I'm also going to try a differant prop to get a little more power out of the tigre.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71502.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	789856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37169.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	789857  
Old 10-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

Please tell me you're not using a Dynaflite prop or a Master Airscrew! They're great sport props, but for 3D you need at a minimum an APC, preferably a Xoar or other higher grade/efficiency prop.

I noticed a big difference when I went from a Master Airscrew to a Xoar.

-Pat
Old 10-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Steve

Hey Pat,
Yep, its a paint stirrer,(Dynathrust). I had one lying around. I'm going to try and get ahold of an APC or Top Flight Power Point. I'll have to mail order a Xoar. Our local hobby shop doesn't cary much for props. Zinger's are a common prop for the hobby shop. I also tried a MA 18 X 8 wide blade that I had and it did better than the Dyna, but its a little too much prop for my altitude. The motor doesn't spool up very good with the MA.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend you skip the Top Flite and Zingers as well. The APC is the best of the main popular brands. The next step up to get the most out of your engine would be a Xoar, Vess, Menz, Bolly, etc.

-Pat
Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Steve

I realy need to order a couple and see what they will do. I got 5 more flights on the GUCD and the full length ailerons worked out great. The high alfa rollers were so easy with this plane now that I have some aileron authority. Had a lot of fun with it today. I did strip one aileron servo arm on the left inner flap/aileron. I think Barry also stipped one when he had it. I'll have to put metal ones on. I think I'm going to permanently join the aileron/flap also. I think this will cut down on the vibration on that inner servo.